Materazzi punished because he is Italian - minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Materazzi punished because he is Italian - minister

ROME, July 21 (Reuters) - FIFA discriminated against Italy when it decided to punish defender Marco Materazzi for provoking French captain Zinedine Zidane during the World Cup final, Italy's sports minister said on Friday.
    Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the chest after being insulted and was sent off shortly before the end of the game. Italy went on to win the final after a penalty shootout.
    Both players were fined and given match bans by soccer's world governing body on Thursday, in a ruling that has incensed many in Italy.
    Sports Minister Giovanna Melandri said the fact that FIFA president Sepp Blatter had not taken part in the final award ceremony, was also a sign of anti-Italian feelings within world soccer's governing body.
    'I understand those who saw the award ceremony and yesterday's verdict and think that there is a discriminatory attitude torwards Italy,' Melandri told a news conference, adding however that the Rome government accepted FIFA's decision.
    Zidane, who has retired as a player, was fined 7,500 Swiss francs and handed a three-match ban by FIFA's disciplinary committee. As he is no longer a player, he will undertake three days of community services on FIFA's behalf as part of their humanitarian activities.
    Materazzi, who admitted insulting Zidane, was given a two-match ban and fined 5,000 Swiss francs.
    He will miss Italy's opening two Euro 2008 qualifiers against Lithuania and France in September.
    Lawmakers from the Green party, part of Prime Minister Romano Prodi's centre-left coalition, said Prodi and Melandri will have to explain in parliament 'what they intend to do to protect the image of Italian football'.
    'There is a clear disproportion between the punishment given to Materazzi and the one given to Zidane. FIFA has set a very dangerous precedent. From now on everybody will feel authorised to react violently to an insult,' said one of the lawmakers, Tommaso Pellegrino.
    VIVA ITALIA VIVA MILAN VIVA MALDINI

Comment: Materazzi - Villain, Victim, Provocateur Or Scapegoat?
    Goal.com

So, have Fifa Set a dangerous precedent by banning Marco Materazzi for insulting Zinedine Zidane? Internazionale's president, Giacinto Facchetti, thinks they have.

Fifafootball in Italy in the wake of the match-fixing scandal, has implied that the Italian Football Federation is unlikely to appeal against Materazzi's punishment.
    The ban means the scorer of Italy's goal in the final will be ineligible for the Azzurri's Euro 2008 qualifying games against Lithuania (2 September) and - ironically - France again (6 September).
    Rossi said: "The definitive verdict of the Fifa disciplinary committee will be respected by us.
    "But the episode will remain consigned to the TV images and to the public opinion of the entire world."
    Zidane spent 90 minutes at his private Fifa hearing on Thursday, while Materazzi appeared before a separate Fifa panel on 14 July.
    Materazzi maintained throughout his hearing that his comments to Zidane were not "racist, religious, or political," and he added: "I also said nothing about his mother."
    In France there is a sense that Zidane was somehow justified in his actions because of the provocation - though nobody ex cept the two players will pRobably ever know exactlky what Materazzi said.
    In Italy there is a feeling that Materazzi has been hung out to dry as a way of appeasing the pro-Zidane lobby, as if punishing the Italian proves that Zidane's reaction was, if not excusable, then at least understandable.
    Elsewhere, football fans generally just want a line to be drawn under the incident, and to move on.
    What do you think?

Comment

They can hate all they want, but Justice always prevails in the end. They held italy back by match fixing and horrible referree calls for 24 years and finally Italy wins the world championship. IN YOUR FACE YOU BASTARDS!

The verdict on the zid-mat. case is a complete joke and shows how FIFA promotes UNFAIR play.

NEXT time im playing football, you guys better watch your mouth....otherwise i will jab you in the face for provoking me. Hey Ali, cant wait til i play your buddy Land of Samba and stand up for my beliefs and my rights.

JIIIIIIHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAADDD!!

Comment

FIFA is getting year by year closer to AFC!!!

Who do they really punish here???

CHECK OUT OUR FORUM RULES HERE: http://www.persianfootball.com/forums/faq.php

Don't Select Players That Suit Your Tactics; Select A Tactic That Suits Your Players !!!

Comment

I don't agree with what you guys are sayng only because its Materazzi of all players and he has a history of being a dirty footballer.
          The REAL. The LEGEND. Since 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by khabalood
            I don't agree with what you guys are sayng only because its Materazzi of all players and he has a history of being a dirty footballer.

ok so why are they rewarding a player that did something dirtier than the dirtiest player of all time??

What pisses me off is they STILL gave him the golden ball which means what he did was ok

Comment

EK,

We play soccer on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30pm. You are more than welcome to come and show me what you got...

Comment

Originally posted by Land of Samba
                EK,
                We play soccer on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30pm. You are more than welcome to come and show me what you got...

YEA viva already told me that but i live in the valley, irvine is too far. I would love to

but dont provoke me cuz i might just take action

Comment

Forget about viva with his ugly Italy jersey that he wears every time..
                  I think I am gonna buy him (after I win my bet with him that Italy is gonna lose to France in Sept) either a Brazil's Ronaldo or France's Zizou jersey so he can wear....
                  We used to play in the same before Italy won the WC, but I havent played with him since he has been wearing his ugly Italy jersey....

Comment

Originally posted by Land of Samba
                    Forget about viva with his ugly Italy jersey that he wears every time..
                    I think I am gonna buy him (after I win my bet with him that Italy is gonna lose to France in Sept) either a Brazil's Ronaldo or France's Zizou jersey so he can wear....
                    We used to play in the same before Italy won the WC, but I havent played with him since he has been wearing his ugly Italy jersey....
                    That's why you keep losing like a dog!
                    they lost to us 2-0 last night. I had a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l assist and a goal! I took a deadly shot on the goal and it was so strong that this Lamba guy had to concede a LAAYI and redirect the ball to their own goal!!

oh god...aadam panchariye ghataaar begireh vali too korkori soosk nasheh!!!

We played an excellent organized game.

btw, keep your loser jerseys for yourself. I don't need dastmaal toilet!

Comment

damn man, you two seem like you're gonna get into a fight soon

You guys see what Zidane started

Comment

Ekbatan,
                        THis viva whatever guy talks out of his arse and is BSing like a politician..You have to come and see him play with his ugly Italy jersey.. He was crying the whole game yesterday, disrespecting ref's calls and etc..so we gave them two goals so they will come back tomorrow...
                        I guess all Italian (or their fans) are jer-zans....

Comment

Working...
                        X