Hammers can be 'biggest' team: Kia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammers can be 'biggest' team: Kia

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413814&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=2&title=H ammers+can+be+'biggest'+team

Kia Joorabchian has claimed that West Ham can become the biggest club in England over the next few years.

Joorabchian is the owner of Media Sport Investment and has been linked with a possible takeover at Upton Park.

He helped to bring Argentina internationals Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano from Corinthians to West Ham and has already insisted that there are no plans to sell the duo on at the end of the season.

The Iranian-born businessman is now confident that The Hammers have the platform to go on and challenge the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United.

"I believe in the very near future West Ham can become bigger than Chelsea and maybe within seven years even challenge Manchester United," he told The News of the World.

"And certainly I feel manager Alan Pardew can take West Ham into new territory, to challenge for the UEFA Champions League and even the title.

"Manchester United are obviously an exception. Like Real Madrid they are huge all over the world but there is massive potential at West Ham. Why? Because the club has such passionate supporters and a fantastic history.

"As far as I'm concerned they have got a much bigger worldwide fan base than Chelsea.

"When you see two players like that (Tevez and Mascherano) joining West Ham then there is no doubt in my mind the club can become massive."

West Ham are currently engaged in exploratory discussions over a takeover of the club, but have so far not confirmed Joorabchian's involvement.

However, Uefa treasurer and president of the Dutch FA Mathieu Sprenger has warned Joorabchian that he would not be able to remain anonymous if a takeover was completed.

Fifa are set to adopt proposals made by Sprenger and rule that there must be clarity about exactly who is investing in football clubs.

"I have heard about the news reports concerning West Ham. Our proposals are that all clubs must show who owns them," Sprenger told the Mail on Sunday.

"It will not be enough simply for them to show that a company owns them. They will have to show who is behind that company as well.

"The Fifa congress unanimously supported these proposals in July so there is support from all the confederations for this.

"The Fifa president (Sepp Blatter) wants them to be written at the Congress next July.

"It doesn't matter if a takeover happens before the rules are instituted - from next year all clubs would have to show their ownership and who is behind them.

"If he (Joorabchian) took over at West Ham, he would have to show that.

"For the integrity of competitions, it has to be made clear who is in control."
    Interesting...Joorabchian's MSI group also have Chelsea's Roman Abramovich as a minority stakeholder, but his influence seems to be growing slowly as well. Personally, I wouldnt be surprised if down the road Roman does either of two things:

a) buys out Joorabchian's share and personally takes control over Corinthians, West Ham United, and Chelsea

b) has a fight with many people causing Mourinho to leave, and decides to scrap Chelsea infavour of West Ham United whil maintaining his influence in MSI with Joorbachian.
    sigpic

man it'll be great if they take an iranian along for this ride

Comment

I dont think you can have a major stake in two clubs.
      Its a conflict of interest, hence the reason why one of his sister companies is the financial backer of CSKA Moscow.

Comment

Working...
      X