France 3-1 Italy: French gain revenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France 3-1 Italy: French gain revenge

PARIS, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Olympique Lyon winger Sidney Govou hit a double as France stunned arch-rivals Italy 3-1 in a showcase Euro 2008 qualifier in Paris on Wednesday.

ShaunBotterill/GettyImages
    Sidney Govou of France shoots to score.

It was sweet revenge for Les Bleus who bowed to the Italians on penalties in a controversial World Cup final two months ago.

France are second in the Group B table, level with Scotland and five points ahead of the world champions who have made a miserable start to their campaign, having been held 1-1 by Lithuania on Saturday.

Coach Raymond Domenech said his France team had produced an almost flawless performance.

'The perfect match is the one in which you score on every attack and that your opponents are unable to put you in danger. We came very close to the perfect match tonight,' he told a news conference.

'Everybody was feeling great and technically we were well prepared for this outing. I hope that we will be capable to repeat such a performance.

'Beating the world champions always means something special. We have tamed two world champions over the last two months,' he added, referring to the 1-0 success over Brazil in the World Cup quarter-finals. 'We can be happy and proud of ourselves.'

Govou needed just 90 seconds to make a dramatic impact, volleying in a cross by defender William Gallas.

It was the first time Govou, often used as a substitute, had started a match for France since the 4-0 thrashing of Cyprus in a World Cup qualifier in October 2005.

France increased their lead after 17 minutes when fans' favourite Thierry Henry produced a superb finish from close range after Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon failed to hold a powerful shot from Florent Malouda.

Italy grabbed a lifeline three minutes later when playmaker Andrea Pirlo's free kick was met with a header by striker Alberto Gilardino, giving Gregory Coupet no chance.

France have dropped their 4-2-3-1 line-up since Zidane's retirement, but the 4-4-2 system is proving highly reliable.

Italy pushed hard for an equaliser before the break but France held firm with influential libero Lilian Thuram outstanding for the hosts.

Govou gave France breathing space 11 minutes into the second half with a powerful header from 10 metres and there was no way back for Italy despite a late chance for Pirlo.

'I was happy to be on the pitch from the start,' said Govou. 'I really wanted to prove what I was really worth. To prove that I was physically fit. I badly want to resume playing for Lyon.'

Despite the euphoria of beating Italy, Domenech remained cautious about the future.

'Tonight's win doesn't qualify us for the European championship,' he said. 'There are still 10 matches to play and a long way to ride.'
Working...
X