Benelux trio to apply to host 2018 World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benelux trio to apply to host 2018 World Cup

BRUSSELS, Oct 16 (Reuters) - Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg will formally apply in January to host the 2018 World Cup finals.

Alain Courtois, a member of the Belgian parliament and the man in charge of delivering the project, has received approval from all three associations, the governments and local authorities.

'At the moment, we are just awaiting the outcome of the elections in the Netherlands next month, but after that we should be in a position go ahead in the new year,' he said.

Courtois was tournament director when Belgium and the Netherlands jointly hosted the 2000 European championship in 2000, the first European finals to make a profit.

Australia, England, Mexico and Spain have all expressed an interest in staging the 2018 Cup. Bids remain open until 2010.

South Africa will host soccer's biggest event in four year's time while Brazil are favourites to be awarded the tournament in 2014.

Courtois said he was confident of seeing off bids from England, Italy or France.

'We will have brand new new stadiums here in Brussels, Bruges and Antwerp while the Dutch already have world class arena which will just need tweaking, so I think we are in the strongest position,' Courtois said.

He said he was unconcerned by comments made by Sepp Blatter, president of soccer's world governing body FIFA, when he said he no longer supported the idea of joint bids for the finals in a reference the 2002 finals hosted by Japan and Korea.

'Benelux is one political institution, therefore it is one bid with one organisation, not like Japan and Korea which had two separate committees,' Courtois said.

ohhh ok thanks man

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

yeah I know, that would be soo great!

WORLD CUP 2018 BENELUX

BARCELONA-IRAAAN-PERSPOLIS
      CITY

Comment

Could 2018 be the World Cup that Pakistan qualifies for ?? You can never be too sure

That said...I would probably confine the World Cup to Belgium and Netherlands and NOT include (of all European sides) Luxemborg
        sigpic

Comment

LOL
          would that be Luxenburgs first World Cup??

anyway i want Australia to host that one, so i hope BENELUX dont get it.

Comment

LUxmbourg, why dont we add lithuania to the list

Comment

only 3 hosts? why dont we add 15 hosts so great footballing countries like cyprus and estonia will be in the world cup too?

Comment

so WC 2014 will be Brazil's, I am predicting 2018 will come to Australia!!!

Comment

DAt means Belgium nd Luxenbourg taking 2 spots for the World Cup???

Dats just pure insanity nd silly as none of them deserve 2 be in the World Cup....

Id Rather have 2018 in Australia

Comment

2018 dubai

Comment

yea 2018 Dubai!!!

Comment

Originally posted by karimi_nr1
                        DAt means Belgium nd Luxenbourg taking 2 spots for the World Cup???
                        Dats just pure insanity nd silly as none of them deserve 2 be in the World Cup....
                        Id Rather have 2018 in Australia
                        didn't Belgium reach the world cup 7 times in a row? didn't they reach the semis in 1986? yes they did!

I believe belgium has young talented players now and they'll be good again in 3-4 yrs..

agreed Luxembourg doesn't.

CITY

Comment

but I think England will take it..

CITY

Comment

i am not a fan of co-hosting...it let's too many teams an easy pass just because they are the hosts...so rather have Belguim, England, Austriallia or Netherlands place a bid separatly.
                            I am not sure if Brazil and Mexico are ready for a wc, even by 2018.
                            sigpic
                            Salute to anyone who stands against these barbaric, inhumane and irrational laws of ANY religion.

Comment

This is stupid. I hate tournaments which are hosted by many countries.

Comment

Working...
                              X