Chelsea Fans Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chelsea Fans Thread

chelsea in my opinion is the best team in the EPL.

Comment

Easily
      1. Chelsea
      2. Man U
      3. Arsenal
      4.Bolton
      5. Liverpool

Comment

and a little help to our rivals:

The Chelsea London Thread

Team Kits

Chelsea kits: 1905-2006

Club Details

Address: Chelsea Football Club, Fulham Road, London, SW6 1HS

Nickname: The Blues

Formed: 1905

Club History

Part 1 : 1905 - 1959

A New Team for a New Stadium — the Birth of the Blues

Even if trophy success proved elusive in the first 50 years, the club had been set up for the big time from the moment Henry Augustus Mears had a change of heart one Sunday morning in the autumn of 1904.

Of all the decisions that have shaped the history of Chelsea FC, there can none more crucial than the one this Edwardian businessman made that particular day.

Gus Mears was an enthusiast for a sport that had taken northern Britain by storm but had yet to take off in the capital in quite the same way. London at the turn of the century failed to provide a single team to the Football League First Division.

Mears had spotted the potential for a football club to play at an old athletics ground at Stamford Bridge, an open piece of land in west London. It was a ground he planned to massively redevelop.

But unforeseen problems had followed, as did a lucrative offer for the land. Mears was on the verge of selling up and abandoning his sporting dream.

Colleague Frederick Parker, an enthusiastic supporter of the football stadium project attempted to dissuade him but on the fateful Sunday morning, Parker was told he was wasting his time.

As the two walked on, without warning Mears’ dog bit Parker, drawing blood and causing great pain, but only an amused reaction from Parker.

“You took that bite damn well,” Mears announced before telling his accomplice he would now trust his judgement over others. “Meet me here at nine tomorrow and we’ll get busy,” he said. Stamford Bridge was alive once more.

Not that Chelsea FC was in the original plan. The finest sports stadium in London seemed a little out of place on the edge of well-heeled and arty Chelsea but as history shows, Mears had chosen well. The proximity to the vibrant centre of town made it perfect as a new venue for football.

Due to financial disagreement, nearby Fulham Football Club, already in existence declined an offer to abandon the less grand Craven Cottage and move in. So in contrast to the history of so many clubs, Mears decided to build a team for a stadium, rather than the other way round.

On March 14th 1905, a meeting convened opposite the stadium in a pub now called The Butcher’s Hook. One item on the agenda was a name for the new club. Stamford Bridge FC, Kensington FC and intriguingly, London FC were all rejected. Chelsea FC was what it was to be — and the story had begun.

John Tait Robertson, a Scottish international was the first player/manager and a squad of respected players was signed, providing a league could be found to compete in.

The Southern League was the natural choice for our location but they were unwelcoming to these upstarts. Undaunted, Chelsea simply set our sights higher and went straight for the northern-dominated Football League.

On May 29th 1905, the Football League AGM dramatically elected us to the Second Division. Parker again proved persuasive as we became the first club ever to make the League without having kicked a ball.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The First Decade and a Cup Final

The first competitive game was on September 2nd 1905, a 1-0 defeat away at Stockport. Chelsea didn’t take long to prove worthy of the League’s faith. The crowds flocked to Stamford Bridge with 67,000 recorded against Manchester United on Good Friday of that first season. At the end of the second season, we were promoted to Division One.

Those early days saw Stamford Bridge populated by spectators rather than passionate fans, attracted by what was to become a Chelsea tradition for signing star names.

Chelsea’s first ever goalkeeper cut one of the most distinctive figures in the game. An England international weighing over 22 stone, Willie ‘Fatty’ Foulke was an immense man with a deep-loathing for both centre-forwards and referees.
        In the second year came George Hilsdon, nicknamed ‘Gatling Gun’ after a famous early design of machine gun. He was the first in a long-line of centre-forwards to be worshipped by the Stamford Bridge crowd. The 107 goals Hilsdon scored in six seasons led to a weather vane being modelled on him, still a feature of the stadium today.

His partner in attack was Jimmy Windridge, scorer of the first Chelsea hat-trick in the club’s opening home game — a 5-1 defeat of Hull City.

Nils Middelboe, known as ‘The Great Dane’ was our first foreign player and was immensely popular during eight years at the club.

Vivian Woodward was the greatest amateur centre-forward of his day and together with Hilsdon and Windridge, gave Chelsea three England international attackers. If that wasn’t enough strike power, there was Bob Whittingham, scorer of 80 goals in just 129 appearances.

With such firepower, gates of 50,000 were not unheard of in that pre-World War One decade although the results were not always to the crowd’s liking.

One relegation back to Division Two was suffered in that time, followed quickly by promotion but eighth place in Division One was the highest in our first ten years of existence.

The First World War cast a dark shadow over football but during the opening months of the conflict, Chelsea marked our first decade by reaching our first FA Cup Final.

The 1915 Final was held in Manchester at Old Trafford - virtually impossible for Chelsea fans to reach under the circumstances. The opposition, Sheffield United, were more local and the considerable number of military uniforms visible amongst the largely Yorkshire crowd led to the game being dubbed ‘The Khaki Final’. With the odds stacked against us, Chelsea lost 3-0.

Between the Wars - Big Names and Big Crowds

The 1940s, the 1950s and a Famous First Place

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Club PersonnelStadium: Stamford Bridge

Capacity: 42,360

Pitch: 113yd x 74yd

Trophy Cabinet

Club's Official Sponsors

The First Team

Comment

Definitely used to be a great team but im sorry as a person who loves football more then anything in the world what Roman has done to this team has ruined football for good.

I used to love the days of Zola, Wise, Di Matteo, Viali, Desailly, Gullit but i cant love a team that has ruined club football so bad.

Although they were never my number one team i still liked them and even my friends that loved chelsea no longer do.
          Its a shame.

this team ruined two of the best goal scorers in Europe Mutu and Crespo. Lets see what happens to Sheva now.

Comment

How has Roman ruined football, clubs like Real Madrid and Inter Milan have just as much or more money than Chelsea. The reason why Chelsea is the best because they have "The Special One" but you are right because I miss the days when no one I knew other than myself liked Chelsea, now they are like Man U four years ago, everyone just comes out and buys their stuff and says that Chelsea is the favorite team and that just ticks me off.

Comment

i used to have a soft spot for chelsea before the roman times, now i've turned to their arch-rivals fulham

Comment

Naa..not intrested...
                Such a cold ..wierd club
                You guyz are ruining football
                look at how miserable Shevchenko is

Comment

Originally posted by Aryaan21
                  How has Roman ruined football, clubs like Real Madrid and Inter Milan have just as much or more money than Chelsea. The reason why Chelsea is the best because they have "The Special One" but you are right because I miss the days when no one I knew other than myself liked Chelsea, now they are like Man U four years ago, everyone just comes out and buys their stuff and says that Chelsea is the favorite team and that just ticks me off.
                  Yeh bandwago ppl suck, i notice a lot more ppl are supporting Chelsea now so i feel sorry for you as a real fan, nothing worse then fake fans.

Now my point about ruining football is this.
                  Essien was a target for Arsenal but Chelsea just stole him
                  Obi Mikel was a Man U target but Chelsea stole him
                  They took A.Cole from Arsenal
                  They bought Wright Philips just so Arsenal dont get him.

They just bought players other ppl wanted. I hate that.

Now every club selling a player holds out for Chelsea becasue they can get more money from them. If u dont see this stuff then i dont know which football u r watching.

Comment

I know I also get mad because the club has ruined some careers of truly great playersWright-Phillips,Mutu,etc)
                    Also but you have to say that unlike real didn't start buying galacticos until this year and I was mad when they bought Ballack and Sheva because they are hurting the team that is why u see Chelsea doing a bit worse this season. I am also angered that because of Ballack and Sheva's addition, Robben is often benched and this means even less time for Wright-Phillips who I thought at when he was at Man City would be the next big thing. For his own sake, he should join Spurs or something.

Comment

blue is the colour, football is the game, we're all together and winning is our name, so cheer our song through the sun and rain, cause chelsea chelsea is our name.. any of u lads go to the games ?
                      چو ایران نباشد تن من مباد
                      We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

before i hated chelsea, but when ballack and shevchenko came over (but shevchenko isnt the old shevchenko)i started liking them. they will no doubt be one of the best teams in europe.

1. Chelsea
                        2. Man U
                        3. Arsenal
                        4. Liverpool

Comment

Originally posted by Salar
                          blue is the colour, football is the game, we're all together and winning is our name, so cheer our song through the sun and rain, cause chelsea chelsea is our name.. any of u lads go to the games ?
                          NO wish i could but I watch everyone, do you go?

Comment

Originally posted by babak_australia
                            Definitely used to be a great team but im sorry as a person who loves football more then anything in the world what Roman has done to this team has ruined football for good.
                            I used to love the days of Zola, Wise, Di Matteo, Viali, Desailly, Gullit but i cant love a team that has ruined club football so bad.
                            Although they were never my number one team i still liked them and even my friends that loved chelsea no longer do.
                            Its a shame.
                            this team ruined two of the best goal scorers in Europe Mutu and Crespo. Lets see what happens to Sheva now.
                            amen bruva. You can't just buy your trophies, that's what takes away from the beautiful game...i hate glory hunters....

taha
                            you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth
                            sigpic

Comment

For the widescreen fans

video: 624x352 XviD @ 1000kbps
                              audio: vbr mp3 @ 128kbps

1st Half - HERE or HERE

2nd Half - HERE or HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X