Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blatter apoligies to Australia for Italy game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blatter apoligies to Australia for Italy game.

Well hwe w u go, the number one man at Fifa has apologised.
    Do my antics following that game now seem a little more justifies??
    I bolded two good passages for you.

SYDNEY, Oct 29 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has apologised to Australian fans over the dubious penalty that knocked the Socceroos out of the World Cup in Germany.

Blatter said Australians had every reason to feel aggrieved by the manner of their exit when they were beaten by eventual champions Italy 1-0 in the June 26 second round encounter.

Australia looked to be in control of the match with Italy reduced to 10 men and extra-time looming when Spanish referee Luis Medina Cantalejo awarded the Europeans a hotly-disputed last-minute penalty that they converted for the win.

The Australian players and millions of fans were furious at the decision because of what appeared to be a blatant dive by Italy's Fabio Grosso when he was confronted by Socceroos defender Lucas Neill.

'I agree with them and I would like to apologise (to) our fans in Australia,' Blatter said.

'The Socceroos should have gone into the quarter-finals in place of Italy... because they were up to beating Italy.'

Australia were among a number of countries at the tournament who were victims of poor refereeing and cheating from players taking dives or feigning injury.

FIFA has been reluctant to speak out on the issue but Blatter, who has admitted he used to dive when he was a player himself, said it was clear there was a major problem with both referees and players.

'I think the referees were not at their best,' he said.

'I think they were too well prepared or not looked after the right way. They were in a military camp situation...

'And I think there was too much cheating on the players' side.'

Football Federation of Australia (FFA) chief executive John O'Neill's welcomed Blatter's belated apology but said it was of little real comfort.

'The position he's stated is what all of Australian football fans felt at the time,' O'Neill told reporters.

'It's now four months after the tournament. It's a nice gesture, but it doesn't change the result.'

Originally posted by babak_australia
    Well hwe w u go, the number one man at Fifa has apologised.
    Do my antics following that game now seem a little more justifies??
    I bolded two good passages for you.
    SYDNEY, Oct 29 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has apologised to Australian fans over the dubious penalty that knocked the Socceroos out of the World Cup in Germany.
    Blatter said Australians had every reason to feel aggrieved by the manner of their exit when they were beaten by eventual champions Italy 1-0 in the June 26 second round encounter.
    Australia looked to be in control of the match with Italy reduced to 10 men and extra-time looming when Spanish referee Luis Medina Cantalejo awarded the Europeans a hotly-disputed last-minute penalty that they converted for the win.
    The Australian players and millions of fans were furious at the decision because of what appeared to be a blatant dive by Italy's Fabio Grosso when he was confronted by Socceroos defender Lucas Neill.
    'I agree with them and I would like to apologise (to) our fans in Australia,' Blatter said.
    'The Socceroos should have gone into the quarter-finals in place of Italy... because they were up to beating Italy.'
    Australia were among a number of countries at the tournament who were victims of poor refereeing and cheating from players taking dives or feigning injury.
    FIFA has been reluctant to speak out on the issue but Blatter, who has admitted he used to dive when he was a player himself, said it was clear there was a major problem with both referees and players.
    'I think the referees were not at their best,' he said.
    'I think they were too well prepared or not looked after the right way. They were in a military camp situation...
    'And I think there was too much cheating on the players' side.'
    Football Federation of Australia (FFA) chief executive John O'Neill's welcomed Blatter's belated apology but said it was of little real comfort.
    'The position he's stated is what all of Australian football fans felt at the time,' O'Neill told reporters.
    'It's now four months after the tournament. It's a nice gesture, but it doesn't change the result.'
    Blatter is full of crap. Why didn't he apologise to the Iranians when they got kicked out the SF in AC04? The refereeing in that match was much worse. or perhaps the Bahrain match in WCQ02. Asia always seems to be forgotten and now that Australia is apparently in 'Asia', watch it get prefential treatment by FIFA, what can i call this?? racism? favouritism? corruption?

taha
    you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth
    sigpic

Comment

Blatter is really the worst FIFA president ever....he is a fvcking disgrace. and to think the great Joao Havelange picked him as his successor.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by taha
        Blatter is full of crap. Why didn't he apologise to the Iranians when they got kicked out the SF in AC04? The refereeing in that match was much worse. or perhaps the Bahrain match in WCQ02. Asia always seems to be forgotten and now that Australia is apparently in 'Asia', watch it get prefential treatment by FIFA, what can i call this?? racism? favouritism? corruption?
        taha
        I understand wat u mean bro but it should be the Asia president that should have said something at the AC.

Blatter said it cause it was the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Suprah
          Blatter is really the worst FIFA president ever....he is a fvcking disgrace. and to think the great Joao Havelange picked him as his successor.
          The guy has a fking teddy bear in his office what else do you expect

Comment

Dudes, Blatter is just showing how he is always anti-Italy, I mean the Golden Ball went to Zidane rather than Cannavaro, Buffon, or Pirlo.

Comment

I think that Italian team will be remembered as the most undeserving title winner in modern WC history.

Comment

Today Blatter apologized to Italy. What an idiot.

Australia couldn't create a decent chance to score against 10-men of Italy and he says they deserved to be in the quarter finals?

Comment

doesnt change anything, italy already won the world cup

Comment

Originally posted by taha
                    taha

Excellent post - the best thing that has happened to Asian football is Australia's high profile arrival; shame is that it seems the extra attention only applies to the Australians.

It has to take something special for FIFA to admit to poor refereeing...perhaps instead of worrying about this he should have spent some time pondering FIFA's decision to replay the whole of the Uzbekistan-Bahrain first leg tie.

Comment

now i know for sure that BLATTER is anti-itlay

Its a shame that the number 1 man in FIFA is so biased and prejudice against another team. I guess the slogan FAIR PLAY means nothing.

Comment

They seriously need to take their UEFA rules about diving(banning players for two games) and implement it into all the other events; that way, this game can go back to what it was meant to be; it was probably THE worst world cup ever in terms of the number of dives(well, of the ones I have seen, say since 94, haha)

Comment

Well lets point out the obvious things:

1.The game was tied and the penalty was 50/50 but the ref gave it, ANY country in the world would be disappointed!

2.Blatter is obviously anti-Italy because ANY FIFA official who wasnt biased wouldnt go as far as saying Italy DESERVED to get out! we all know that in football ANYTHING can happen so to jump ahead as a FIFA PRESIDENT is a disgrace, biased, and ridiculous thing to do.

Anyways I really feel bad for Australia for having to exit like that but this is football and things like this happen, you all remember Maradonna's 'hand of god'...we must move on and accept the results eventually.

Delam mikhad be Esfahan bargardam...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuFI6ao7LY8

Comment

^^
                            dude, I agree it's not Blatter's place to say these things but do you really believe that the penalty was a 50/50 decision?!

Comment

Originally posted by zereshk-ali
                              ^^
                              dude, I agree it's not Blatter's place to say these things but do you really believe that the penalty was a 50/50 decision?!
                              Yeah because the player obstructed Grosso's path while laying on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X