• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Israeli soccer in trouble

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6281556

Israeli players say they were offered bribes

Associated Press
    Posted: 2 hours ago

game was canceled Saturday after three players from the Hapoel Beer Sheva team said they were offered bribes to throw a game against Hapoel Raanana.
    The players, Yehiel Tsagai, Evyatar Iluz and Miki Atiya, were arrested and questioned by police. They remained in custody Sunday. Teammate Assi Rahamim, a goalie, also was arrested.

Israeli media reports said each of the three players was given $2,400, along with a warning not to play too hard. One of the players said he was threatened by a man who stuck a gun to his head.

The three players reportedly told police that gangsters offered them the bribes to throw Saturday's game because of this week's unusually large sports lottery of $9 million. The lottery is based on the outcomes of all the top soccer games in the country in any given week.

The Israel Football Association said the game was postponed pending police investigation, and the lottery jackpot was reduced to $2.3 million.

"This is the black sabbath of Israeli soccer," said Iche Menacham, chairman of the soccer association.

The scandal erupted days after a goalie from a top league team was suspended following suspicions of throwing a match. Hapoel Kfar Saba goalkeeper Oshri Levi allegedly threw the club's recent Premier League game against Maccabi Haifa.

Levi conceded a late goal in which he appeared to throw himself over his own goal line after making a save. The match ended in a 3-3 tie.

In addition to the government-sanctioned sports lottery, there is also a massive illegal betting syndicate that has tarnished Israeli soccer in recent years.

lol

Every league under the supervision of FIFA must do an investigation to see if they have the same problems.

Comment

Marg bar Esrael

Comment

Originally posted by Iranian soccer fan
        Marg bar Esrael

you beat me to it

Comment

Please stick to the topic of the thread and don't involve politics in the soccer discussion.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy
            Please stick to the topic of the thread and don't involve politics in the soccer discussion.
            :EDITED:Please refrain from using profanity and stick to the topic of the thread.:EDITED:BY MASOUD_A
            Last edited by Masoud_A; 12-18-2006, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Please refrain from using profanity and stick to the topic of the thread.
              I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Iranian soccer fan
                Marg bar Esrael
                inshallah

Comment

Comment

RESTECP.

Comment

Guys, no insults and don't go political! Bad language from now on will be dealt with!
                      Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

KC, just curious, but why do you get offended when it comes to anything negative about Israel? Aren't you Iranian? Just wondering what that's all about... if you don't mind.

Comment

I'm just adhering to the board rules. No politics.

Comment

Ok KC, but how come you don't bring up the board rules when political discussion doesn't involve Israel? Again, just curious. An issue with Israel is not an indictment of jews... knowing as many jews as I do I can confidently say these are two totally seperate entities.

Comment

I haven't seen any threads of the kind that you speak of.

Comment

Working...
                              X