Crespo interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crespo interview

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/index/0,...ticleid=129543Senor Crespo, what was your defining memory of last year's FIFA World Cup?
    The opening game against Cote d'Ivoire, no doubt about it. That game signalled the end of a long period of preparation, and meant that we could get things underway once and for all. It's a unique feeling and all about putting your nerves to one side and trying to make your dreams come true.
    How would you describe Germany 2006 overall?
    Beautiful! It was an unbelievable World Cup, the stadiums were always full and there were loads of Argentinian fans. It was incredibly moving to see a stadium packed with Argentinians, especially since we know how tough things are financially for our fellow countrymen.
    Over in Germany you shared the top scorers' podium with Miroslav Klose and Ronaldo. How would you define them as players?
    Klose isn't merely a great goalscorer, he's also a great all-round player. He's proved that in recent seasons and he continues to do so. Playing the World Cup on home soil clearly meant that he was doubly determined to do well, as were the rest of the [Germany] team. Germany ended up taking third place and he finished as top scorer, so he deserves to be congratulated. What can I say about Ronaldo that hasn't already been said? With the exception of [Diego] Maradona, he's the best player of modern times. He's an example to follow for any attacking player and has been a decisive figure in every team he's played. An award like this, which was a first for us, is already something of a habit for him. (Laughs)
    How would you describe what has happened in your own career over the last year?There was a bit of everything. Winning the Premiership with Chelsea was a very good achievement. I was then fortunate enough to play in the World Cup before topping it all off by earning a move back to Italy with a massive club like Inter. Things are going very well at the moment, with God's help, but we'll have to see what happens over the next six months.
    What kind of a welcome did you receive from the Inter fans, given that you enjoyed a recent spell at rivals AC Milan?
    They were really, really great. I have to say it surprised me a little, as it's not easy going from one team to another. But I've been treated very well at both clubs. Inter welcomed me with open arms and the fans have been absolutely tremendous. I must confess to having a few concerns with regard to my time at Milan, but they've treated me absolutely wonderfully.
    You are the highest goalscorer in the history of FIFA World Cup qualifiers in South America, and have played for some of the world's biggest clubs. What is your secret?
    There's no magic formula. You have to have huge desire, and a genuine love of playing the game and the sport as a whole. And above and beyond your technical ability, you need be very mentally strong and have a lot of heart. You need all of that to become a star of world football.
    Given the way your career has panned out, it is safe to say that you know European and South American football inside out. Were you surprised by Internacional de Porto Alegre's recent victory over FC Barcelona in the FIFA Club World Cup?
    Yes, but not because of the team that won. The real turn up for the books was that Barca lost. And even more so when you consider that it was a World Club Final. That said, it doesn't surprise me when South American teams pull off feats like these. Didn't Sao Paulo do exactly the same against Liverpool in 2005? Europeans sides have always struggled against South American teams, even when they have much bigger stars on paper. Over 90 minutes, anything can happen.
    How do you feel about the appointment of Alfio Basile as Argentina coach?
    I think it's a great move. I haven't had the chance to speak to him yet, but I was in the squad for the Spain game. Unfortunately I missed that match through injury but I'm keeping patient and have not lost my desire to play for the national team. The key is to show that you're a regular at club level, that you're playing well, and that you really want to be in the squad. I've got all that and more.
    Despite enjoying such a long international career, you have yet to take part in the Copa America. Will you break your duck at Venezuela 2007?
    You have already appeared at three FIFA World Cups. Is it feasible to imagine you playing at the 2010 tournament?

I hope so. The idea is to try and stay on top of your game. I'm 31 years old and so I'll have to play things by ear, because anything can happen in four years. As I said before, we'll have to see how I'm feeling in four years' time and see if I'm still up to the job. Should that be the case, then I can start getting my hopes up.
    One last question: Juan Veron recently won the title on his return to Argentina with Estudiantes de La Plata. Is that something that appeals to you or do you plan to stay in Italy?
    I don't know. There's a part of me that would like to go back to River Plate, where I grew up. But at the same time I'm a massive fan of Italian football, which makes me want to make the most of every minute and use every last drop of strength to keep me here. You never know with these things, that possibility will always be there in the background

i personaly used to love argentina but now i hate them because of this gay argentinian boy who pulls his pants up his ass made me hate argentina.

Comment

Crespo = God!!!!!

Comment

hashemian=god
        karimi=god
        kia=god
        crespo=soorakh

Comment

CRESPO is my favourite striker since his Parma days!! Batigoal was also my hero!!

Thx for the interview

Comment

thank me please (jks)

Comment

I've always been a fan of the Argentinian Connection ; Marradona, Buruchaga, Caniggia, Batistuta...and now Messi but I never liked Crespo.
              We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

Comment

But U gotto admit.. he has that sence of goal..in him..
                i cant explain..!!

Comment

Crespo looks nasty but he's been one of my favourite players. When Inter sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2002, Crespo came in and did the job very well. I was really disappointed when Chelsea bought him and when he returned to Italy and AC Milan.
                  We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying;
                  And this same flower that smiles today, Tomorrow will be dying."

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by karimi_shayan83
                    i personaly used to love argentina but now i hate them because of this gay argentinian boy who pulls his pants up his ass made me hate argentina.
                    whyd u open a thread about his fifa interview then?
                    The Worker-communist Party of Iran (WPI)
                    For the struggle in Iran: "In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible.
                    http://iransolidarity.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=96192296995
                    http://worker-communistpartyofiran.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/WPITV

Comment

Working...
                    X