Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Materazzi Involved in another Head Butt Situation!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Materazzi Involved in another Head Butt Situation!

Marco Materazzi has been engulfed in another head-butt row after an incident in Internazionale's 2-0 win at Sampdoria. Gennaro Del Vecchio was sent off after a butt on the veteran defender, but later claimed he had been provoked.

Materazzi provoked a storm of controversy in the World Cup final, when France's Zinedine Zidane's career ended in shame following his assault on the Italy man.

Zidane claimed Materazzi insulted his family, and Del Vecchio also insisted the Inter man was far from an innocent party.

"First of all I would like to apologise to all Italians because, even if there was provocation, I did not have to react that way," said Del Vecchio.

The defender rushed to confront Del Vecchio after he appeared to kick out at Inter goalkeeper Julio Cesar, and fell to the floor after the Samp man made contact with Materazzi's chin as he stood up.

"He said that I wanted to hurt Adriano and Julio Cesar, that is not true. If he had spoken to me in a different way I wouldn't have reacted that badly. What I did was wrong, but you should read Materazzi's lips," Del Vecchio said.

Unsurprisingly, the Inter man took a differerent view, saying: "I did nothing wrong, I only told him to stop it."

"Before he was sent off, there had already been a bad challenge on Adriano and immediately after that he did the same thing with our goalkeeper.

"I like aggressive football, but when you see that the goalkeeper has the ball in his hands I think you should stop."

"When I saw what he did to Julio Cesar I went to Del Vecchio and told him to stop it, but he hit me with his head. I had a cut in my mouth and it was bleeding."

Sampdoria coach Walter Novellino had little sympathy for his player, saying: "A professional must never do these things. It was already difficult to face Inter in 11 men, but we had played well. I cannot tolerate Del Vecchio's behaviour and he has no justification for it."

Materazzi is a dirty player, but I saw the game and Del Vecchio was being an a-hole.

Comment

what a surprise.. more violence in italian league. its so normal theres shouldnt be any news about it.

Comment

I saw this live yesterday I LOGGED IN TO msn same sec and wrote it to like 20 peeps. Funny part is that he started bleeding .

Oh yea zlatan scored WOOT GO ZLATAN!

Comment

Materazzi wasn't to blame at all for this incident. All defenders get mad if a striker lunges at their keeper when the keeper has control of the ball. Delvecchio stood right up and head butted him. BTW I saw this live as well, stupid play by Delvecchio.
          STADIO OLIMPICO, 8 FEBRUARY 2004
          A.S. ROMA 4-0 F.C. JUVENTUS

Comment

MAterazi is a Pvsy tht wasnt even a head butt..

Comment

You're either blind, or just saying that because you didn't see it. It was indeed a head butt. Here's proof, it was obvious though Materazzi was selling it, especially when he kept reaching in his mouth trying to find a spot of blood to show the ref.

Comment

That is not called a head butt brotha.. those happen all the time on a one on one situation.. either u havnt been head butted or ur just talkn in favour of Maaterzi..
                that deserved a red card.. but it wasnt a head butt and Matterazi clearly acted that moment!

but if u consider that a head butt then..

Comment

What was that then? It was during a break in play so you can't say its a 1v1 situation.

So was that just a clash of heads? If so, it would make sence in boxing, but not soccer, theres no ball in sight for them to clash heads.

Comment

ooo I like the white Inter jerseys

What a cheap shot by Del Vechio, materazzi didnt do anything wrong.

Comment

Resident Paisan: Mad For Materazzi

Resident Paisan: Mad For Materazzi

Love him or hate him (and many of you do, especially if you’re French), Marco Materazzi has impressed the Resident Paisan.
                      Tutti pazzi per Materazzi!

That’s the chant – “All mad for Materazzi” – that resonates at the San Siro among Inter fans during games.

Indeed, Nerazzurri fans are really happy he’s on their team because the 6-foot-4 defender is menacing everywhere he goes on the field. Though Marco Materazzi is considered by many to be the dirtiest player in Serie A, I consider him the most talented defender currently playing in the league since the departure of Fabio Cannavaro last summer to Real Madrid.
                      Largely unknown outside Italy to most soccer fans before Germany ‘06, Materazzi cemented his reputation last summer during Italy’s successful World Cup run. Since then, Materazzi’s notoriety has known no borders. Materazzi, whose nickname is the Matrix, may be loved in Italy (and one of the reasons why Inter will win the Scudetto this season), but elsewhere on the planet he’s the player people really love to hate.

At the World Cup, Materazzi -- who has so many tattoos etched across his body that he would make a punk rocker jealous -- did more than just verbally irritate Zinedine Zidane before getting himself head-butted. Materazzi scored two goals, netting the all-important equalizer against France in the final. His towering header over the French defense was a piece of artistry and forever solidified his place in the pantheon of World Cup highlights for decades to come.
                      “I believe it was the best year of my life as far as my career is concerned,” Materazzi told Sky Italia television in a recent interview.

Materazzi was his vintage self in a league game earlier this season against Messina. He irritated opponents just enough to win the admiration of his teammates and the Nerazzurri faithful. Materazzi was shown a yellow card in the first half following a sideline altercation with Messina coach Bruno Giordano. During that exchange, Giordano slapped Materazzi in the back of the head as both tangled for a loose ball. But Materazzi’s game includes more than just taunts. In the second half, Materazzi gave Inter its opening goal in a 2-0 win with a spectacular bicycle kick into the upper part of the net that left me with my jaw to the ground every time I watched the instant replay. By far, it was the best goal anywhere in the world last year. Readers of my blog also know that last month I chose Materazzi as my personal “World Player of the Year” -- ahead of Cannavaro.

As a joke, Materazzi has lent his name last fall to a book that included 249 alternative accounts of what happened in the lead-up to the Zidane incident. The book, What I Really Said to Zidane, has become a top seller in Italy. The very long joke rides on the idea that Zidane was a man ready to be provoked by anything from the remark, “Hey, Zidane, you’ve not lost yet, but you’ve already pulled all your hair out” to “Zidane, can you show me exactly where the sternum is -- please?”

Materazzi has since admitted that the comment that led to Zidane going had been a salacious reference to Zidane’s sister. The incident, meanwhile, has made Materazzi into a marketing star. Nike, who now equip him with their cleats and have him model Inter’s jersey, filmed a commercial last fall featuring the strength of Materazzi’s chest. In it, he deflects a ball with his chest. Then, he brings a bowling ball under control with it. Materazzi also repels a battering ram and finally a large jeep. The ad, a big success in Italy, has never been shown on French TV. In fact, each time he has played with Italy since the World Cup, Materazzi has been greeted with a chorus of “Zizou, Zizou” as a taunt that Zidane’s head-butt was somewhat justified.
                      Given the recent hoopla surrounding the impending arrival of David Beckham to the Los Angeles Galaxy this summer, I have wondered what it would be like if Materazzi decided to join Major League Soccer in a few years. Sure, he’d be older, but an enforcer of his caliber -- and notoriety -- would be great for the league. If Beckham is a good guy, then Materazzi could most definitely play the role of bad guy. Chopping down defenders and verbally taunting opponents and referees would make him a character on this side of the Atlantic and a media darling at the same time. I certainly recommend to the suits at MLS to try and make a move for Materazzi down the line.

The Resident Paisan, Clemente Lisi, writes a monthly column on Italian soccer. You can read his daily blog on Goal.com by clicking here.
                      VIVA ITALIA VIVA MILAN VIVA MALDINI

Comment

Well, it deserved a red card, Del Vecchio lost his cool and struck Materazzi on the face (intentionally or unintentionally) and I dont think I need to say more after seeing the video Murad-land provided.

VivaItalia, no one can deny Materazzi's talent and presence in the Inter defence. Okay maybe he's too much of an intimidating and sometimes provocative figure but he isnt alone. Viera, Totti, Roy Keane, Cantona, Anelka....the list goes on.

Sure he did ruin Zidane's final match, but can you blame Marco for things that you can expect happening on a pitch and Zidane losing it ?
                        sigpic

Comment

That was an obvious headbutt and Red card was correct.
                          Del Vecchio went for the goalies leg and Materazzi as the captain should be protecting his men.

As I said it 100 times, Materazzi is the man behind Inter's success. Well done Marco. great year for him. He was excellent in the WC and now he is leading Inter to a great record and victory.
                          VIVA ITALIA VIVA MILAN VIVA MALDINI

Comment

Viva,
                            first of all this guy writes biased stuff to the favor of italy, so his article doesnt have much credibility.
                            second of all, last sentence of his paragraph, he even admits that materrazi is hated every where in the world cuz he is the dirtiest player in serie A..
                            Remember, dirty players can be talented as well and vice versa...

Comment

headbutt khoresh malase

Comment

Working...
                              X