Peru Bolivia
    Group B
    Brazil Mexico
    Chile Ecuador
    Group C
    Argentina United States
    Paraguay Colombia

lol, good luck

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - The United States will play Argentina, Paraguay and Colombia in the first round of this summer's Copa America, soccer's championship of South America.

The Americans, invited as a guest, are in Group C and open June 28 against Argentina in Maracaibo. The United States plays Paraguay on July 2 in Barinas and Colombia on July 5 in Barquisimeto, according to Wednesday's draw.

"Quite obviously we have been put in a very competitive group," U.S. interim coach Bob Bradley said during a telephone conference call.

The U.S. opener comes just four days after the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean, is played in Chicago. The U.S. team figures to make several roster changes between tournaments.

"The Gold Cup still is the most important event for us," Bradley said. "Obviously, it's our confederation championship. But the main reason that I think it's extra important is because winning the Gold Cup will earn us three games - three very, very good games - in South Africa in 2009."

The Gold Cup champion advances to the eight-nation FIFA Confederations Cup, which will be played a year ahead of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. The United States, trying to rebound from its first-round elimination in last year's World Cup, is appearing in the Copa America for the first time since 1995, when it beat Argentina 3-0 in its final first-round game and finished fourth in the tournament.

Bradley is not sure he will even be around to coach the team. He was hired on an interim basis after former Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann withdrew and has led the Americans to exhibition victories over Denmark and Mexico.

He was happy to open against what appears to be the toughest team in the group.

"Often times when you can play that team first, it gives you the ability to really prepare well for the first game," he said.

Defending champion Brazil is in Group B of the 12-nation tournament along with Chile, Ecuador and Mexico. Host Venezuela was drawn into Group A with Bolivia, Peru and Uruguay. The top two teams in each group and the best two third-place teams advance to the quarterfinals.

Venezuela plays on the opening day against Bolivia on June 26 at Merida. The tournament will be played in nine cities, with the final July 15 in Maracaibo.

Because of the two tournaments, some players will be missing from Major League Soccer for extended periods.

"I know that there's already been discussions, and we will work together, as we always do," Bradley said. "Everybody understands that both events are important for U.S. Soccer."

how can mexico and us play in two continental championships?!!

this is just plain bs, and it show the political influnce they have in the world being able to do whatever the hell they like!!!

Comment

Good now Americans will see that their national team is way overrated once they get thrashed like 5-0 against argentina.

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN
        how can mexico and us play in two continental championships?!!
        this is just plain bs, and it show the political influnce they have in the world being able to do whatever the hell they like!!!
        Well its more to do with CONMEBOL having just like 10 members and as a result allows a few guest teams to take part in Copa America and Copa Libertadores to make the appropriate numbers up. So they approach their CONCACAF neighbours and invite them to take part.

That's what I think it is, as UEFA has like 50+ members, AFC and CAF has around 45 each. OFC ? Well since Australia has left no one gives an F about them anymore.
        sigpic

Comment

In the past there have other guests as well such as Honduras, Costa Rica, Japan, etc. although it seems Mexico has been a constant invitee as a result of its good results there.
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

do the top 2 go on in each group?

Comment

Originally posted by milad
              do the top 2 go on in each group?
              well, no...unless 6 teams make up a quarter final.

I'm guessing the two best third placed teams also go through.

I can't understand the seeding - pretty much every team in Group A looks weaker than any of the other teams in the other two groups. Looks like a shoe-in for the hosts Venezuela to make sure they make at least the quarters.

Comment

Working...
              X