Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do big time defenders fail in La Liga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannavaro, best player of the year and Ballon D'or winner + WC winner

Zambrotta, one of the best, if not the best LB in the world for quiet a time now, and a WC winner

Thuram, old but one of the best CB France ever produced, was a rock at Juve as well + Parma as well

Samuel, was from the best 3-4 players in Rome aka the wall but when he went to Madrid he was like O'shea in Utd.

Emerson, I know he's not a defender but his job is like them a bit, was a star in Roma + Juve and now he's wanted out by nearly all the Madridistas

What's the problem? Is it because they're customed to the hard tough play of Serie A or don't they adjust to Spain or because the Refs in Spain are too trigger happy considering yellow + red cards?

Because Serie A is very tactical and teams tend to focus on a strong defense as a base, where as La Liga has the most technically gifted and skilled players who are great one vs. one players. In La Liga there are so many one vs. one duels that is easier to see players like Cannavaro and Thuram being embarrassed.

Comment

With the exception of Samuel all those players were/are past their prime. Serie A defenders have a lot more finesse and lack grit in my mind, a player like Materazzi would do great there, Woodgate had he not been injured would have done a lot better. Samuel vexes me, I don't know why he did not do better.

Though I think it's just the stature of Barcelona and Madrid that makes these defenders buckle under pressure because you do have successful players there that went to Valencia. Ayala came from Milan, Moretti from Parma. Too much pressure I guess for these big name signings.
      STADIO OLIMPICO, 8 FEBRUARY 2004
      A.S. ROMA 4-0 F.C. JUVENTUS

Comment

the game is different and more open, alot of times the defense doesnt have much help

I saw a highlight last night and cannavaro had to run all the way to the right side to cover a player pushing up and then when he crossed it in the middle, there was no body there to cover.....so you can't blame it on him that the rest of the defense wasnt helping out.

Comment

Thats what happens when you have offensive minded full backs. You need balance in the full back position, Madrid were stupid to let Panucci go, he's one of the best and most under-rated RB's in the world.

Is this Madrid and Barca's most often back line this year?

Madrid-
          Cicinho-Ramos-Cannavaro-R.Carlos?

Barca-
          Zambrotta-Puyol-Marquez-Gio?
          STADIO OLIMPICO, 8 FEBRUARY 2004
          A.S. ROMA 4-0 F.C. JUVENTUS

Comment

Originally posted by Muradistan
            Thats what happens when you have offensive minded full backs. You need balance in the full back position, Madrid were stupid to let Panucci go, he's one of the best and most under-rated RB's in the world.

Is this Madrid and Barca's most often back line this year?

Madrid-
            Cicinho-Ramos-Cannavaro-R.Carlos?

Barca-
            Zambrotta-Puyol-Marquez-Gio?
            Barca as we have seen in resent matches has been..

Belleti-Olguer-Puyol-Zam(I dono y he is playing there but he is affective)
            ---------Marquez(DM)------

(last match)

Olguer--Thuram-puyol--Gio
            -----------Edmilson--------

Comment

club monaco, you're looking the at the aging defenders in La Liga who reap the wealth from Barca and Madrid for their experiences.

Cannavaro is nearing the end of his career after playing his best football in the WC and with Juventus.

Samuel just didn't fit the Real Madrid attitude.

Zambrotta is doing great at Barcelona I don't know why he was brought up???

Thuram is waaaaayy too old, and he isn't doing that abd as a sub at Barca either when he is playing.

Emerson is old, but Diarra fits better in his position, and giving the fact that La Liga is more fast paced, Emerson has a harder time playing defensive midfielder at his age for full games.

And plus you're ignoring the real superstar defenders who are rising or are already in the elite in La Liga.

Daniel Alves
              Puyol
              Helguera
              Edmilson
              Sergio Ramos
              Diogo

etc...................
              The Worker-communist Party of Iran (WPI)
              For the struggle in Iran: "In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible.
              http://iransolidarity.blogspot.com/
              http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=96192296995
              http://worker-communistpartyofiran.blogspot.com/
              http://www.youtube.com/user/WPITV

Comment

I don't think it has anything to do with age. Most defenders peak at 30+.
                All these guys came from Italy where teams defend as a unit.

In La Liga defending seems to be based more on the individual.
                It does not matter how good a defender is if he is left exposed against a skilled attacking player.

Comment

Working...
                X