2007 Cricket World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firestorm
    Aussies deserved winners in farcical circumstances, fitting end to this World Cup. Adam Gilchrist what a legend.
    Couldnt agree more. Australia pwned everyone's arses and proved why this team has been the best in the world for the past 8 years and running
    Originally posted by Sam van Dam
    wtf when did this even start lol?? i was planning to watch it but they dont broadcast it in this damn country lol
    The World Cup's going on south of Florida and they arent even bothered showing it in USA ?? meh
    sigpic

Comment

australia winnin it, surprise surprise, this goes to show how borin n predictable this sport can be
      you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth
      sigpic

Comment

Australia beat Sri Lanka by 51 runs (D/L Method)
        seems like it was a close one, at least the hardest match aussies played this year

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Dont think the opposition is no good boys. Australia is just far superior to the others.

I am so happy for they boys, especially McGrath. He was a real gentleman.

Comment

so was Gilchrist,he scored 149 runs

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Yeah I watched a bit of it. It was a pretty funny finish to the final. It was decided that Australia had already won with about 2 overs to go and after ten minutes of celebration, including mine at home, (just had the telly on for a couple of minutes and walked around the house doing my own thing, it's that kind of sport when you watch it) some of the umpires ran on the field and said it wasn't over. They were thinking about playing the remaining two overs the next morning in Barbados.

Yeah. Anyway. Good performances from most teams, great performance by Australia. A 5-0 Ashes win and a third consecutive world cup, that's pretty cool. True though, the FIFA World Cup woops this ones arse. Basketball's good too. But I'd rather watch cricket than golf and baseball and a couple of other sports, though there are some good things about those other sports too. Baseball's probably more fun to play at school sometimes in PE than watch.

Comment

Did you see how the ICC officials got booed by the crowd at the presentation ceremony, the umpiring in the final and the whole organising of this tournament has been nothing but a joke, it took around 7 weeks and they still couldn't get it right. The article they had on Cricinfo summed it up nicely:

A sorry end to a sorry tournament

It was entirely appropriate that a sorry tournament should have a sorry end, though it must be said that the embarrassment in the final moments far exceeded anything that preceded it. That the magnificent Australians were reduced to pleading for some positive coverage for themselves was a reflection of the pathetic depths this tournament had slumped to. But even they knew it was futile: even their towering, majestic and wholesome performance could not rise above the shambles.

In a sense they contributed, though in an entirely different and positive way, to the hollowness of this World Cup. But it was hardly their fault they reached such heights that no team came within touching distance. They dominated the tournament like no team has ever done in the history of cricket, and had it not been for the disgraceful finish, they would even have been entitled to two victory celebrations. They were almost twice as good as their opponents.

Sri Lanka, their closest competitors in the one-day arena, kept apace with them for about 20 overs in their first-round match, and for a few overs today, Kumar Sangakkara, and to a lesser extent, Sanath Jayasuriya were able to match them with their skills. But over the whole length of the tournament, they were overwhelmingly awesome. It could have been hardly imaginable that they could better their performance of 2003, when they didn't lose a game. But they have, and in doing so, they have set new limits for execution of cricket skills.

The organisers have done exactly the same. It was thought nothing could get worse than the World Cup in South Africa, which felt interminable, tiresome and stifling. The ICC has succeeded in dragging the level even lower. They have brought the World Cup to the most joyous and spontaneous part of the cricket world and squeezed every ounce of enjoyment out of it. Since they measure success in terms of cash, it has been bragged that the tournament has broken records in cash receipts, but in all other ways, it has been an abysmal failure.

Comment

Yeap...this has to be the worst ever World Cup in history - all sports included - and the way the ICC have made an even bigger mess of it speaks highly of what the ICC is really all about
                  sigpic

Comment

It took me till today to realise what a disgrace that final was. I was just too happy to worry about it up till now.

Its def time for some major changes. First of all umpires need to be sacked and retrained. Cause which IDIOT would continue a game in pitch dark??

How can a World cup venue have no lights?? Im pretty sure Fifa wouldnt have a world cup at a country with no lights for football.

The presentation felt like it went forever and again i only realised that MUCH later.

I think from now on all we should have is a best of 9 match between Australia (playing and bowling with their opposite hand ) against the World 11. Should be a little more even. And how bout we have it in Australia, so that in case it gets dark they can actually turn the lights on.

Comment

Working...
                    X