Totti's Interview Before Roma vs ManU Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I call class, a classy coach and a true tactician:

AS Roma coach Luciano Spalletti is relishing the opportunity to pit his wits against Sir Alex Ferguson as the Serie A side make their first appearance in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals against Manchester United FC.
    'Amazing feeling'
    While Sir Alex has overseen more than 200 European matches, Spalletti, 48, possesses far less top-level experience having risen steadily through the echelons of Italian football. The former Udinese Calcio boss described Wednesday's game as his biggest yet but remains determined to savour the occasion. "Coaching Empoli FC in a promotion play-off was important but somehow I think playing United in a packed Stadio Olimpico beats that," Spalletti said with a smile. "It's an amazing feeling but I'll try to stay calm and enjoy the game."
    'A wonderful coach'Lyon boost
    He does not, however, want his team to show United too much respect, and is urging a positive approach: "I'd like us to attack more than we did against Lyon. I'm sure United will come at us but we're confident. The Lyon victory has boosted our self-belief." Sir Alex, meanwhile, had equally flattering words for Spalletti, praising him for "creating a system" by operating without a veritable centre-forward. "Big coaches make brave decisions and his decision to play this way was brave," said the United manager. Captain Francesco Totti will again be the furthest forward, supported by wingers Mancini and Taddei. Simone Perrotta, usually employed behind Totti, may drop deeper to cover for the suspended David Pizarro, offering a roving role to Christian Wilhelmsson, while Marco Cassetti deputises for injured full-back Max Tonetto.
    Saha roleEnormous potential
    Sir Alex, however, is reluctant to speak about injuries, saying: "Our squad is being tested but we've proved over the last few weeks that those coming in are capable of doing the business." The Premiership leaders hope to repeat their treble achievement of 1998/99 and while Ferguson conceded that the current team has room for improvement, he feels the potential is enormous. "They don't have the overall experience yet but they're young and they have their careers in front of them," he said. "They all want to win trophies and if they start doing it early that'd be fantastic."
    Probable teams
    Roma: Doni; Marco Cassetti, Cristian Chivu, Philippe Mexes, Christian Panucci; Simone Perrotta, Daniele De Rossi; Taddei, Christian Wilhelmsson, Mancini; Francesco Totti.

United: Edwin van der Sar; Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea, Gabriel Heinze; Cristiano Ronaldo, Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Kieran Richardson/Alan Smith; Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney.
    VIVA ITALIA VIVA MILAN VIVA MALDINI

Comment

VIVA ITALIA......
      Take out Man.Utd Player Out except Van der sar , C.Ronaldo and Rooney VS Roma Soorakh

Comment

2dayz the day that an u will show totti
        you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by taha
          2dayz the day that an u will show totti
          Translation please...

Comment

Originally posted by Land of Samba
            Viva, the bet is on.......
            Nypimp, the bet is on..We will either have the cheloo kabob in Cali or A-town.. Who knows, I might just surprise you show up there for my kabob one of these weekends..

Lets go Man U.......
            Man chelo kabab mikham yalla! joooooooooooooooon che soltaniye bokhoram man, ba mast-o-moosir. joooooooooooooooooooon

Well, you still have a chance of winning. If ManU wins 4-0!!

Comment

Originally posted by VivaItalia

Well, you still have a chance of winning. If ManU wins 4-0!!
              1-0 will also be enough away goals
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Suprah
                1-0 will also be enough away goals
                No, check the bet. I have a bet with Land of Zambies!

Jooooooooooooooooooon Chelo Kabab!

Comment

1- The bet is for one cheloo kabob, and not 5 or 50..
                  2- The bet is ON, unless you cheat and try to get out of it by "jerzani"..
                  3- I agree with your post. There is going to be at least a 3 goal difference in the aggregate score (not a single game) in favor of ManU. If the difference in goals is 2 or less, you will win the bet, if its 3 or more then you lose the bet...

So be a man and accept this bet....

Here are the terms!

Jooooooooooooon che soltaniyi bokhoram man!

Comment

Here are the terms!

Jooooooooooooon che soltaniyi bokhoram man!
                    Haroomet bashe be man nadi

Comment

Originally posted by Masoud_A
                      Haroomet bashe be man nadi
                      I'll send you the picture! nefrin nakon

Comment

Viva dude,
                        Dont be sure...I still believe that ManU has the capacity to destroy Roma team next week..I am confident that C. Ronaldo will do something amazing next week and make up for this loss. I have not watched the game yet (til I get home tonight) so I cant comment on the specifics..
                        Man hanooz sar shartam hastam va agar bebazam, you will get your Kabob at Caspian or any other Persian restaurant that you wish to go....

Comment

Viva dude,
                          Dont be sure...I still believe that ManU has the capacity to destroy Roma team next week..I am confident that C. Ronaldo will do something amazing next week and make up for this loss. I have not watched the game yet (til I get home tonight) so I cant comment on the specifics..
                          Man hanooz sar shartam hastam va agar bebazam, you will get your Kabob at Caspian or any other Persian restaurant that you wish to go....
                          Affarin pesare khoob...poolaato jam kon ke man hessabi havase Kabab kardam!

And it's amazing how you think that ManU can still win 4-0!

Comment

Affarin pesare khoob...poolaato jam kon ke man hessabi havase Kabab kardam!

And it's amazing how you think that ManU can still win 4-0!
                            it can happen man..who would have thought liverpool can beat arsenal 4-1 after all those spankings arsenal gave them? football is unpredictable.

Comment

This is another interview just to open up these haters eyes:

Francesco Totti dares to dream his coronation as Roman deity may be just a few weeks away.

GettyImages
                              Totti: Wants Champions League winner's medal to sit beside his World Cup gong.

The enigma of Italian soccer has long been hailed as a saviour by Roma fans who worship at his feet as if a future career in the Vatican is almost a certainly, but the rest of Italy have long been confused and bemused by his uninspiring antics when sporting the blue of the Azzurri.
                              As much maligned outside Rome as he is celebrated within it, few doubt this gifted forward has talent to spare, but his inability to produce when it matters means his career will be remembered as a being a tale of squandered potential unless he fulfils his dream and becomes a Champions League winner in 2007.

His fleeting contribution to Italy's World Cup triumph last summer was another blot on his copybook, but as he prepares to lead his beloved Giallorossi into a Champions League quarter-final against Manchester United on Wednesday night, he can almost taste the glory that will give his career the ultimate gloss.

'It's wonderful to be skipper of a Roma side which is one of the eight best in Europe, but no one here is thinking that's enough,' begins the 30-year-old Roma skipper. 'The Final in Athens is our aim and for a Roman like me, I can think of nothing better than holding up the Champions League trophy.

'We don't need to be told what victory in this competition would mean to our fans and the way we will be remembered in this history of this club. Roma haven't got this far in years (since losing on penalties to Liverpool in the Final of 1984) and the growing feeling in our camp is that this is our year. This competition is our dream and we can make it a reality.

'Momentum plays a vital role in football and we would like to believe we are hitting our best form at just the right moment. The signs are good for us. We have the strong defence, which is fundamental to all successful teams in Europe, and we're hard to beat at home. It makes no difference to us that we must play the second-leg away and some would call it an advantage. We are going into this tie against Manchester United with amazing belief we will be in the semi-finals.'

To many an English observer, Totti is the stereotypical footballer Italy produces by the dozen. Boasting a big reputation he constantly fails to live up to, this husband of a former showgirl often gives the impression that his dashing good looks and Hollywood hair are more important to him than the game he is famous for playing.

Such luminaries as Martin O'Neill, the respected Aston Villa manager, and even Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson have been among those who doubted whether Totti is worth the hassle he invariably brings. A pop star footballer with a showbiz lifestyle, the David Beckham of Italian soccer has many doubters to convince as his career ambles towards a conclusion.

For his part, Totti has deep reservations when it comes to contemplating a life on the bleak, windswept island in northern Europe that includes England. The British newspapers were quick to pick up on Totti's comments that the English climate was just about as unpleasant as the football teams it has produced in recent times, but if you peel back the glaring headlines and listen his more complete assessment, his angst may not be so vivid.

For a soul brought up on the more clinical and cynical style synonymous with Italian football, he is unlikely to warm to the notion that a 4-3 victory is much more appealing that a dour 1-0 win. When you have been brainwashed into thinking football is a game designed to bore opponents and spectators into submission, the English game is an alien concept, though he does his best to appreciate the novelty known as excitement.

They are a club of immense prestige and tradition and I'm really excited by the thought of playing on such an important football stage as Old Trafford. It's a magical place. Francesco Totti'English football is much more about the attacking end of the game than it is in Italy and Manchester United have proved they are the masters of ambition in the last few months,' he continues.

'I like the fluidity and variation with which they play and the creativity of players like Rooney, Scholes, Giggs and especially Ronaldo makes them a real threat all over the field.

'It was strange to hear that we had been paired with Manchester United in the quarter-finals because I said before the draw that I'd like to meet them. They are a club of immense prestige and tradition and I'm really excited by the thought of playing on such an important football stage as Old Trafford. It's a magical place.

'It goes without saying that we have a difficult task ahead of us. Manchester are not top of the English League by accident. They have become used to winning matches this season and inevitably they are full of confidence. They are the complete side, tough to penetrate at the back, very creative and with lots of goal scoring potential. From what I've seen of them they are an excellent attacking force, but I believe we are well suited to stop them.'

Totti believes their unexpectedly comfortable victory against Lyon in the last round has set the template for the tactics that will be required to beat United.

'Manchester are rightly thought of as one of the favourites for the Champions League, but our confidence received a huge boost after winning Lyon in the last round,' he states.

GettyImages
                              Totti celebrates beating Lyon in a game that 'went like clockwork'.

'On the night, everything went like clockwork for us. Our defensive game was perfect, we kept the ball well and we were always a threat when we counter-attacked. It was a really mature performance, one that gives a lot of hope for our future in this competition. After winning in France, we believed we could be Champions League winners.
                              'More of the same will be needed against Manchester. We'll have to be very disciplined over the two legs, close down space effectively and be clinical in front of goal. We have to play with maturity and realism and we will. Never write us off.'

As Inter stretched their lead at the top of Serie A to a somewhat embarrassing 20 points last weekend, the criticisms of misfiring Roma surfaced once again. Totti is often blamed for their inadequacies, but he offers this stout defence.

'We have been guilty of inconsistency in the Italian League this season and people have a right to ask why, but the bottom line is that you can't call a team a failure which is second in Serie A and in the last eight of the Champions League,' he argues. 'No one will be questioning Roma if I lift the Champions League trophy in Athens.'

Such a defining moment would provide Totti with the legacy he craves, so the time has come for one of Europe's most talked about footballers to prove he is worthy of the iconic status his adoring fans shower on him.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...league&cc=5901

Comment

Originally posted by Club monaco
                                I think Roma will win at the Olimpico 2-1 but get knocked out on the away goal rule in the second leg with a 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford. The vast attacking capacity of both sides is overshadowing the fact that both teams are actually very good defensively, so I expect two watertight defensive displays in both encounters, with magical sparks from Totti and Ronaldo ensuring that we see goals.
                                So who will take me out if the other half of my prediction comes true?

Comment

Working...
                                X