Vieri signs for Monaco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vieri signs for Monaco

MONACO (AFP) - AC Milan's unsettled striker Christian Vieri has agreed to sign for 2004 Champions League finalists Monaco on a one and a half year contract, the buying club confirmed.

The 32-year-old Italian international will be unveiled to the press on Tuesday after undergoing a medical and signing his contract.

A deal between the two clubs was struck late Sunday and Vieri agreed terms with the French first division side on Monday afternoon.

Vieri has failed to hold down a regular place in AC Milan's starting line-up this season and has scored just two goals in six months for last season's beaten Champions League finalists.

"I'm sorry he's gone," said AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani. "Because I remain convinced that he still could have done very well at Milan but I understand his decision, in this World Cup year."

Vieri will team up with fellow Italian Francesco Guidolin who replaced Didier Deschamps as Monaco coach in October and continues the club's habit of signing top class foreign strikers such as Euro 96 winner Oliver Bierhoff of Germany and Fernando Morientes of Spain.

Guidolin was delighted at his prospective new recruit.

"It is an excellent thing for me because he is a target man and the other strikers are more support players," said Guidolin.

"He was on the list of players I wanted. I will speak to him immediately about what I expect of him but what will be best is if he can play and be ready quickly."

Since joining AC Milan from city rivals Inter on a free transfer last summer, Vieri has scored just one goal in eight league appearances.

He played in five Champions League matches but failed to find the net and his only other goal came in his one Italian Cup appearance.

Vieri, who spent six seasons with Inter before making his surprise move to their arch rivals, is in danger of missing out on a place at the World Cup this year unless he is playing regularly.

Since making his Italy debut in March 1997, Vieri has scored 23 goals in 49 games for the Azzurri.

Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport said AC Milan are lining up Brazilian forward Amoroso from World Club Championship winners Sao Paolo to replace Vieri.

The 31-year-old played for Serie A sides Udinese and Parma before moving to Germany where he won the league title with Borussia Dortmund. After one year in Spain with Malaga he joined Sao Paolo.

Who's Amoroso? Is he any good? Does he play for the Brazilian NT?

Comment

Morientes, Saviola, Vieri...is Monaco the club for fallen stars to get their groove back?

Comment

Originally posted by Club monaco
        Morientes, Saviola, Vieri...is Monaco the club for fallen stars to get their groove back?
        sounds like UAE

Comment

Wasn't Vieri recently voted as the worse player of the Serie A??
          Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

Originally posted by persian thug
            Wasn't Vieri recently voted as the worse player of the Serie A??

ya he was voted worst buy and 2nd place came in was solari

Comment

Marcio Amoroso ,I remember him he was great but a player had problems everywhere.......and AC Milan ?Maybe when he was Top of his Career but now he is not on that Level

Comment

He use to be one of my favorites but he has lost his touch!

Comment

does vieri still play for italian TM?

Comment

Inzaghi needs to do the same..

Gilardino and Toni are Top strikers in Italian national team right now..

I would even choose Lucarelli and Cassano over Vieri and Inzaghi at the moment even though i belive Vieri and Inzaghi will both miss out

Del piero on the other hand is on a MASSIVE form..He is actually play fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Club monaco
                      morientes and saviola also signed for monaco ??
                      i didnt know that !
                      if they have.. then wat a hell of a team!!
                      with di vaio in front too
                      monaco's gonna do real good next season if not in this one
                      sigpicPrepare For Glory!

Comment

Evra has left Monaco as of tuesday and is now at Man Utd
                        Please join and support Iran Rugby on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by internazionale
                          morientes and saviola also signed for monaco ??
                          i didnt know that !
                          if they have.. then wat a hell of a team!!
                          with di vaio in front too
                          monaco's gonna do real good next season if not in this one
                          morientes played for them 2 seasons ago and saviola last season.

Comment

Originally posted by 50Toman
                            morientes played for them 2 seasons ago and saviola last season.
                            nice.. i had no clue
                            i dont follow up french teams
                            but still i've seen monaco play and they are a toungh team!
                            good luck to them now that bobo's there
                            NOT against Inter if they play each other hehe
                            sigpicPrepare For Glory!

Comment

Amoroso signed till 2007,for me unbelievble

Comment

Working...
                              X