Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Armbands worn in Chelsea-Blackburn Semi-Final...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Armbands worn in Chelsea-Blackburn Semi-Final...?

I was watching the semi-final (FA Cup) between Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers, and I was just wondering if anyone other than me noticed the black armbands that every player was wearing. The first person I saw was Ashley Cole wearing one, and I thought he had been given temporary catainship in Terry's absence (I only switched on half-way hrough and didnt know Terry was actually playing). But then I relised that actually Terry was in teh game and it was all the players.

So has anyone important died in the football world recently, or is it the 'saal-gard' of an event? Any info would be appreciated! (and repped )
    Backing Daei since 1992, to this day.
    GazKhor

Same problem Sexy Daei.

Comment

there was some sort of tragedy easter weekend, they were all respecting somebody, i remember the announcer saying something about it, but i forgot, i was too into the game

Comment

Originally posted by persian boy
        there was some sort of tragedy easter weekend, they were all respecting somebody, i remember the announcer saying something about it, but i forgot, i was too into the game
        lol..
        i saw the game too & i noticed that.
        but yeah, i wasnt listening to what the commentator was saying.

Comment

It was for the Hillsborough tragedy - when 96 Liverpool fans died in the FA cup semi final against Nottingham Forest. It was the 18th anniversary this weekend.

Comment

wow 96 liverpool fans died??

what was it a bomb or something??

Comment

no, it was a huge crush.
              The police opened some gate or closed some other gate that meant that loads of supporters went in at once, and teh people at the front, near the fence around the pitch (this was back when stadiums didnt have to be seated areas only) got crushed against the fence. This was all at the Liverpool end of the stands, so loads of liverpool fans got crushed. People were trying to climb over the fence to get out of teh crush, but they were being beated by the police who didnt know there was a crush - they thought the people were just trying to get onto the field and that it was a pitch invasion.

BACKGROUND:
              After the tragedy, 'The Sun' (newspaper) did a really bad report, TOTALLY UNTRUTHFUL and completely bs about how supporters nicked the wallets and possessions of dead/injured fans and stuff like that. The Sun wrote the Article under a massive title, "THE TRUTH", followed by subheadings:
              'Some fans picked pockets of victims'; 'Some fans urinated on the brave cops'; 'Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life'.
              The sun later unoficially appologized (I think) in a really stupid way, so not completely: just saying that they may have made some errors of judgement or something like that. They never said they were wrong outright. The reporter said, "I regret Hillsborough. It was a fundamental mistake. The mistake was I believed what an MP said. It was a Tory MP. If he had not said it and the chief superintendent (David Duckenfield) had not agreed with it, we would not have gone with it."
              So to this day, some people in Liverpool boycott The Sun(200,000 copies used to be bought, now only 12,000). Wayne Rooney was highly criticised for giving them an interview, and was booed by a load of HIS OWN supporters when he was playing, on the pitch (dunno if he was playing for Everton or Man U at the time: the criticism came because he is a liverpuddlian and expected to stand up for the Truth).
              Also, against arsenal, all over the stands, peices of paper were held up (red or white) which spelt out 'THE TRUTH'. It was a call for the journalist who wrote the article to appologize and tell the REAl truth about what happened.
              pic:
              GazKhor

Comment

liverpool fans always want people to feel sorry for them when it was there fault the tragedy happened...

if u look at the heysel diaster... it was the scoussers who chased the juve fans into a corner and pushed the wall over.

Comment

the hillsborough tragedy was because of bad policing and lack of communication between officers.

the heysel disaster was caused because of a small group of hooligans, and it spread because of drunkenness, mob mentality, and some just couldnt stop themselves being swept up and had to move along witht eh crowd to stay on their feet. Im not excusing what they did, though..

but heesham, we know you dont like scousers, I wont take it personally
                  GazKhor

Comment

Originally posted by 1Heesham1
                    liverpool fans always want people to feel sorry for them when it was there fault the tragedy happened...
                    if u look at the heysel diaster... it was the scoussers who chased the juve fans into a corner and pushed the wall over.
                    wrong tragedy

Comment

I remember that happened in schools when i was in iran...

they usually had only one small gate that would let the students out and if they didnt open it ontime then masses of students would crowd up by the gate and there would be pushing and shoving and sometimes kids would get crushed under a crowd.

Comment

lol, except (hopefully) no-one died!

they heysal tragedy was the one with the juventus fans. The hilsborough disaster was one in FA cup final or semifinal or somthing
                        GazKhor

Comment

Originally posted by Daei_The_King
                          lol, except (hopefully) no-one died!
                          they heysal tragedy was the one with the juventus fans. The hilsborough disaster was one in FA cup final or semifinal or somthing
                          FA Cup semi final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest @ Hillsbrough ground of Sheffield Wednesday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X