Cup campaign has Iraq united

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cup campaign has Iraq united

FOR a country which lives daily with division and destruction, moments which can bring people together are precious indeed.

In war-torn Iraq, expect a whole 90 minutes of unity tomorrow night when the nation's soccer team play the Socceroos in their Group A Asian Cup clash in Bangkok.

Many more moments of unbridled jubilation could follow if the Iraqis can produce the upset of the tournament and knock over the star-studded Australians.

To say Iraq's preparation has been difficult would be ridiculous understatement.

The dangerous domestic situation has meant no training camps, no home Asian Cup qualifiers and sundry personnel changes.

Most players in the Iraq squad have known personal loss in the conflict.

The majority play their domestic football abroad in countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia, worrying about the families they have left behind.

But their families, friends and other countrymen will make Iraq's footballers the focal point of the nation tomorrow night, as they hope for a repeat of their 2004 Olympic Games shock when they eliminated Australia in the quarter-finals.

"Of course my family always watch matches in which I take part and my friends back home always watch the match,'' said midfielder Hawar Mulla Mohammed, who was part of the team which beat the Olyroos 1-0 in Greece.

"We managed before to unify the Iraqi people when we achieved our victory in Athens.

"The Iraqi people were very, very happy and put sadness behind them.

"All these things encourage us to perform and bring happiness to our people in Iraq.''

Iraq, who just missed a bronze medal in Athens, do possess plenty of footballing quality.

In striker Younis Mahmoud - the leading scorer in the Qatari league last season and a livewire in their 1-1 tournament opener against Thailand - they have a genuine class player.

While all coaches enter big tournaments under pressure, Iraqi boss Jorvan Vieira came to the Asian Cup with a thankless task.

The Brazilian only took on the job two months ago and has had little time to work with his players.
    But when asked if Iraq can win the Asian Cup, he said: "Why not?''

"We are not afraid of anyone. We are ready to play anyone.''

Overcoming football obstacles, even those as sizeable as Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka would appear, don't seem as significant as last week's accomplishment of completing a domestic league season amid an ongoing war.

"They (the Iraqis) try to keep alive football,'' Vieira said.

"This is the most important thing. Even with all the problems they have, they try to keep alive football.

"They still believe, with the whole situation, they can still do football.''

Melbourne - Herald Sun

I really hope Iraq can make it to the next round in this tournament.

Comment

futbol>>>IRAN, thanks for your support, but I really think Iraq will farewell the Asian Cup tonight, hope i'll be wrong.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the game and I hope Iraq beats Australia, it isn't an impossible task by any means. By the way South Iraq, I was watching an Al Jazeera report on the Iraqi football team today, is that guy in your signature the one Kurdish player on the national team?

Comment

Not sure if I understood the Live report topic correct, but I think it said you were leading 3-1? edit: it was 2-1 with 20 minutes left. good luck and i hope you win!

Comment

congrats on ur win south iraq! mashallah!
            One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets.

Comment

8karimi8, thanks a lot brother... Inshalah we see the same from Iran against China.

Haj Mahmoud, the player you're talking about is Hawar Mulla Mohammed # 11 he looks similair to the guy in my signature who is a new star in the olympic team.

Comment

Originally posted by South Iraq View Post
                futbol>>>IRAN, thanks for your support, but I really think Iraq will farewell the Asian Cup tonight, hope i'll be wrong.
                well done Iraq...!!!!

its never felt so much better to be wrong huh?

3-1... will teach these convicts a lesson

btw ur capitan Younes Mahmoud is a fantastic player... uses both feet fluently

Comment

Congrats bro, mashallah.

I hope our team can learn a thing or two about unity from your team.
                  HOMER: Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether
                  you win or lose.... it's how drunk you get.

Comment

congrats to iraq!!!
                    SHOW TIME!

Comment

mashallah iraq....hope they win it (after iran)
                      you can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth
                      sigpic

Comment

The photo you see in my avatar is of the Asiatic Cheetah........they can only be found in Iran.........and there are less than 100 left.

Please do all you can to support conservation and rescue of this precious creature before its too late.

http://www.iraniancheetah.org/
                        http://cheetah.irandoe.org/habitats/index.html

Comment

Working...
                        X