X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia: Harry wants first crack

GRACIAS PEP

Arnold makes case for defence

Socceroos coach Graham Arnold hailed his reconfigured defence after a 4-0 win over Asian Cup co-hosts Thailand saw the Socceroos qualify for the quarter-finals.

The margin of victory flattered Arnold's team, who scored three times in the final 10 minutes as the Thais pushed for the equaliser they needed to progress to the knockout phase themselves.

Michael Beauchamp gave the Australians the lead in the 21st minute before Mark Viduka struck in the 80th and 83rd minutes, allowing Harry Kewell to round off the scoring in injury time.

But while the scorers took the plaudits, Arnold praised a defence that was forced to battle hard by the agile and determined Thais.
    "The boys defended brilliantly. I was very happy with (Mark) Milligan and Beauchamp who came in at the back but overall it was a team performance and that is what I am happy with," said Arnold.

"I have seen the young players grow over the last three weeks as players by training around the calibre of Viduka, Kewell, (Tim) Cahill, (Vince) Grella and (Mark) Bresciano."
    "We had to work very hard, full credit to Thailand they really pushed us to the limit but we have a great group of characters in our side."

For the first time in the tournament, Australia kicked off their match under the shadow of darkness after starting their previous two games in the early evening, and Arnold felt that had an impact.

"I know people don't want to hear it but the conditions made a difference," he said.
    "With kicking off at 7:30pm the temperatures are much cooler and it gives the players a chance to get through the game physically and they were still going strong at the end."
    "The rain also helped because it made the field quick and our boys like a fast field."
    Thailand coach Chanvit Polchovin refused to be downbeat despite seeing his side exit the competition.

The Thais finished in third place in Group A, tied on points with Australia but losing out on goal difference and their head-to-head record, but they still managed to record their first-ever Asian Cup win with a 2-0 triumph over Oman.
    "We believe that all Thailand people can be proud because we got four points, which is the same as Australia," said the former Asian Coach of the Year.
    "Even though we lost today we have still had lots of support from the fans and everybody can be proud of this team."

"The performance of Thai national team in this tournament will give hope to all Thai fans. Before it started, people looked at the group - with Oman, Iraq and Australia - and said that we would finish fourth."

"We were the underdogs and even though we have not qualified we have made people believe we can play the game with them and have shown that we have potential."
    "The money that an Australian player makes in a year can be much more than the whole Thai national team put together."

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Working...
    X