Is he Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is he Done?

Is my boy Mirko Done guys...I cant get over that loss to that donkey cheick kongo...damn... what do you all think? Whenever I hear wild boys by duran duran all I can think about is mirko...you guys think he can make a comeback? I think if he loses again hes done... also I hope that ass kongo gets the same BS done to him...3 KNEES TO THE BALLS... Mirko also broke a rib in the first round... What do you lot think?

The cage is twice the size of the ring. Mirko used to stalk his opponent and soon enough he'd corner them. In the cage, firstly, it's a circle and secondly it's more than twice the size of the ring. Cro Cop's opponents have circled to his left before, why's it such a big problem now? It's because of the size... Mirko could stalk his opponents in the cage for hours and would never get them.

Mirko likes to throw the right hand and the right kick a lot. Now with the cage, and with his opponents with abundant space to circle left, his right foot and hand become useless. Yet, he tries to throw them like he has nothing else. He hasn't adapted to the cage. He bought one, but a small one. And in his sparring sessions I never saw his sparring mate circle left. What's the point? He's either stubborn in his style of striking and doesn't want to change, or he's actually doesn't realize the problem. Watching his post fight interview made me feel it was the latter.

He needs to join a team, and not hire people to come and do what he wants them to do for him. He needs people to analyse the fights and tell him whats going on. AND he needs to adapt to his opponents circling to his left freely. If he doesn't do that, he's going to be in for 3 more bad nights.

Also, we know he broke his rib early in the first round, which further debilitated his striking. It explains why he threw next to no punches in the second and third round.

I don't think he's too old. The Silva/Barnett night was last year, and that was when he was definitely at the peak of his career.

I do however think he will retire soon. He's said it before; he said that if he hadn't won the OWGP he would've retired. He also said he's thinking about retiring 3 days ago in an interview.

I don't think he will renew his contract, even if he gets back on the winning side and Dana offers him a title shot.

It's basically the cage that's the problem, he should've noticed this and adapted to it, but he isn't adapting.

I'm sure we'll see 3 more Mirko fights

Comment

I was so hopeful for this fight too! He had got himself a cage, he was training like apparently 14 hours a day (crazy huh?!), he looked really determined and angry about his last loss, also the fact that he had never lost 2 fights in a row...

Shocking

Comment

dude, what's wrong with you? you make a thread to discuss something, and then you don't reply when you get a post in your thread?

Comment

Originally posted by ScepticILL View Post
          dude, what's wrong with you? you make a thread to discuss something, and then you don't reply when you get a post in your thread?

sry bro... I didnt see your posts... not many people responded and the thread fell down fast...not too many MMA fans here on PFDC I guess....

But you made some really good points... cro cop usually stalks his opponent to the edges of the ring... with the octagon, he cant do that anymore... what do you think of cro cop dropping down to 205? He would be UNSTOPPABLE... especially in the unprecidented LOADED light heavyweight division.

He is only 33 too...why would he think about retiring? Isnt couture like 45 or something? He can pick himself up...maybe take a few months off and consult with a sports psychologist, like GSP did... also I think UFC has a rule, if you lose 3, you're out...so he really needs to get his sh!t together...if I was dana, id give him 6 months to cool off and get his game together before giving him another chance.

Comment

lol persian now i know how you feel in the cologne thread

Comment

Interview Mirko's old coach:

Link: http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/biv...rt/358483.aspx

The translation:

The storm is still not over from Mirko's second in a row defeat, which was also the most delicate one. Last day many stories were written about Cro Cops questionable professional future, and Marijan Zizanovic, one of the pioneers of Thai box in Europe and Mirko's trainer from end of 1990's, gave his expert comment. At that time Mirko was on a roll, making fighters like Mike Bernardo, Musashi, Fujita and Aerts fall down. Today, the story is a little different. Although many people saw the appearance of Remy Bonjasky, Gilbert Yvel and Ivan Hippolyte as the return of stand up fighting, where Mirko used to be dominant, the results were shocking.
              "Believe me, before the match I was assuring my friends that Mirko will finish the fight in the first round. Mladen Brestovac, a fighter I trained for 4 years, fought Kongo in K-1 and lost 2:1, which was a complete robbery. I remember 2000 spectators protesting. Brestovac destroyed Kongo in that match, and you can't compare Brestovac and Filipovic. I was expecting an easy and quick Mirko's victory. However, obviously some things in Cro Cop Team are not done the way they are supposed to be. First of all, I want to emphasize I deeply respect Mirko. He is undoubtly a talent and a hard worker, a worker you rarely meet at all and not just in martial arts.
              There are several reasons for what's happening to him, in my opinion. First one is that he changes coaches too often. That's my subjective impression. I've been in combat sport for a long time, and I know how important continuity is. Second, I seems to me that Mirko himself is not really sure what he wants to put emphasis on, the ground fighting or the striking aspect of MMA. Mirko is an exceptional striker, and I believe his trainings should focus on that aspect.", Mirko's ex coach says.
              The objections don't end here. Zizanovic claims that a lot of mistakes were made during preparations, that too much emphasis was put on the development of so called apsolute strength.
              "If you work on apsolute strength, disregarding explosive strength, condition or flexibility, you wan't get a good fighter. In martial arts the most important thing is the balance between condition, flexibility and explosive power. Besides that, it's visible that Mirko lost some of his striking technique, and technique is the basis of each sport. I read somewhere that the ***telic family [Croatia's skiers, winners of several Olympic medals], in their prime, every year before the beginning of the season, hired a coach to work on polishing of technique that got lost during the season. It's the same in martial arts. Unfortunately, Mirko today, as far as his striking is concerned, is a mere shadow of what he used to be while fighting in K-1.", Zizanovic honestly says.
              Psychology of training has an impact, too.
              "Mirko has quite a big number of all kind of experts, doctors, professors etc. in his team today. It's all nice on paper, however coaches prove themselves in the gym. With all due respect to education and titles, coaches are coaches because they make fighters and not because they have a title like dr. in front of their name. I think Mirko should have one coach, and that one should be a striking coach, since Mirko is, first of all, a striker like few in the world. Of course, additional trainers are needed, there are no results without a team, but one has to be in charge. It seems to me that each of those experts in Cro Cop Team does his own job without much thought on what the other ones are doing. There are too many of them, and they are not coordinated.
              Which leads us to another problem, and that's a lack of classical relationship between a coach and a fighter which has to be full of confidence and respect. I don't want to promote myself, but it's a fact that I was an authority to Mirko. I respected him as a fighter, and he respected me as a coach. Today, surrounded with a huge number of experts and those who are not experts, Mirko not only doesn't have a coach he considers an authority, it's actually exactly the opposite - he is an authority to people that should prepare him for fights! That's an unnatural environment in which there can be no progress. Drogba [football player], no matter how good he is, will sit on the bench if Mourihno [his coach] says so!"
              In his detailed analysis, he also mentions claims of fear in Mirko's head after the brutal defeat from Gonzaga. "There is not a single fighter that doesn't rewind a KO, knockdown or something similar in his head. Mirko is too experienced to be seriously distracted in Kongo fight by memories of a KO from the Gonzaga fight. A man of Mirko's intelligence, and he is an extremely intelligent guy, can put 2 and 2 together, rationally analyze the fight with Gonzaga and draw conclusions on the factors that led to the defeat. No, I don't think something like that played a role in the Kongo fight. People that enter the ring or octagon are not afraid. There is tension, but it's not paralyzing. I'll repeat, I think it's a matter of inadequate physical preparation.
              From what I can hear, Mirko was in excellent shape. It might me true that he was ready - ready for some other sport. But not for MMA. And since psychological condition is in correlation with physical condition... well, draw your own conclusion."
              Mirko mentioned retiring even before being defeated by Kongo, but his ex coach believes in his return. A big style one.
              "It's his personal decision, but if I were in his place, I'd show all the weak believers in Croatia and the world who and what I am. I assure you, Mirko can still beat anyone. If he comes back to 80 percent of his K-1 days striking skills, no one in the UFC will be able to answer his attacks. And he can do it!"

Comment

Working...
              X