george best.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

george best.

how come whenever i talk to people about the greatest footballers, they always say, maradona, pele, etc..
    but never george best?
    he is a legendd, i like him more than maradona.
    this is why i love him so much.
    scored a record 6 goals too.

niice

1 of my favourite players.. i personally think his balence on the ball was superior to both pele and maradona...

Comment

Originally posted by 1Heesham1 View Post
      niice
      1 of my favourite players.. i personally think his balence on the ball was superior to both pele and maradona...
      i know, great great player.
      i can see your a man u fan like me, that would make a good reason why you also love him so much..
      haha no but i really think he was great

Comment

Yes that is the great George Best

Comment

One reason is because he didn't win a world cup. Pele was part of a series of great Brazilian teams that won (many Brazilians don't consider him even as the greatest Brazilian player). Maradona on the other hand was the reason for Argentina winning the WC.

Anyway, this is the wrong forum for this discussion.
          The Colonel has spoken!

Comment

This thread should be merged in the United thread period.

He is regarded as the greatest player to have ever come out of the British Isles, and a hero for Northern Ireland. He set the world alight when he started doing things just as a teenager for Manchester United side that desperately needed to get back on top after the Munich air disaster robbed the 'Busby Babes' of eight players, including someone who many believed could have become the greatest defender of all time, Duncan Edwards back in 1958.

Imagine a Cristiano Ronaldo only more audacious and bold and gutsy. Football in those days may have been slower but it was really more physical in those days, especially in the Football League. You can see Best going through defences and challenges without stopping and the skills he had were unmatchable in Europe.

Who can forget his demolition of Benfica in the QFs of the European Cup in 1966 as well as that brilliant goal against the same team to win United the European Cup in 1968 at Wembley that made him won the Ballon d'Or that year.

He was football's first ever pop-star figure, El Beatle as they once called him, and his playboy image though not a sign for young gentleman made him an even bigger star. Sadly his lifestyle made him initially 'retire' and leave Manchester United aged just 28 and barely a few months later, a troubled United got relegated from the First Division in 1974. He did play later on for Fulham and in the NASL with great skill, but he was getting slower due to his life. Kinda like Brazil's own World Cup hero of 1962 Garrincha.

Its sad, that when Best emerged Northern Ireland was at a tough period football wise and couldnt qualify for great tournaments. He could have set the World Cup alight but alas he couldnt and when Northern Ireland did qualify in 1982, he was already 36 and wasnt considered.

We will never forget Georgie Best, he truly was a prince of Old Trafford and he was an icon we needed.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X