Cannavaro: We'll Win Our Tenth Champions League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannavaro: We'll Win Our Tenth Champions League

Real Madrid stalwart defender Fabio Cannavaro insists that, this year, Real Madrid can lift the European Cup for the tenth time...

zoom - galleria Fabio Cannavaro spoke to RealMadrid.com yesterday about his aims ahead of the new season.

What do you get for the player who has everything, one might ask? Cannavaro has won the Golden Ball, the World Cup, World Player of the Year, and many more over the course of his career.

He has his eye on one particular prize this season, though: the Champions League.

Real Madrid have won the European Cup on a record nine occasions, and Cannavaro is convinced that his side can do so again, giving him his first chance to lift the famous trophy.

When asked about a return to 'Cibeles' - the famous Madrid plaza where Real traditionally go to celebrate winning a trophy - he responded in the affirmative.

"I loved it, and of course I'd like to return," he said.

"I need the Champions League; I've been so lucky to win so much over the course of my career, but that's the one prize that I'm missing.

"And I believe this year that we're going to obtain the tenth [European Cup.]"

He explained that the new members of the squad - Drenthe, Sneijder, Pepe, Metzelder and more - are worthy of lifting European football's greatest prize.

"They've come here with a great deal of desire and quality," he said.

"Last year, we lacked a bit of tranquility, so we were too hasty in our play, and it wasn't always good.

"Now we have players who can help us fix that, and we must continue in that vein."

He added that he felt a new sense of calm and confidence amongst the support, too, which helped matters.

Madrid kick off their Champions League campaign against Werder Bremen on Tuesday, and Cannavaro - displaying more of that calm confidence - is sure that his side can begin with three points.

Cannavaro said, "The Germans are [not at their best], but they always prove a tough opponent.

"Nonetheless, I believe we can do it - we have a great squad, our players are enthusiastic and have quality, and we have our minds set on winning."

On the Liga front, Madrid have opened with two wins from two, including a 5-0 thrashing of Villarreal at the Madrigal a fortnight ago.

Looking ahead to tonight's clash with Almeria, Cannavaro insisted that a repeat may not be on the cards.

"It'll be a different game to the last one," he warned.

"We need to be very careful, as last season we tended to struggle against the smaller clubs. They came to the Bernabeu and attempted to be stronger than us.

"And today [Friday] is the first day that we've all trained together [due to international football], so we need to hit the ground running.

"Whether it's Almeria, Atletico [Madrid] or Barca, Madrid needs to play with the same level of commitment against all teams."

Cannavaro has just turned 34, and gratefully accepted birthday wishes from the interview.

"Thank you," he said. "I'm feeling very well this year. I began the pre-season enthusiastically, having had a rest this summer, and now I'm more motivated than last year: starting after a World Cup's always hard.

"Soon, I won the Golden Ball, FIFA World Player of the Year, and although these things are good, I'm a player who's always had to concentrate on the matches: if there are distractions outside, I don't do well.

"This year, I'm calmer, better, feeling more desire, and we've started with a winning season. So, I'm happy."

And he hopes to keep that winning going.

"The Liga, the Champions League... everything can be won by us," he stated.

Cannavaro joined Madrid from Juventus at the start of last season.

http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=414551

ahahaha watch out people madrid is coming!!

cannavaro is high from eating too many tacos

come back to juve where u belong
    WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
      Napoli or Parma but not Juve
      sigpic

Comment

he wouldnt go back to juve, the fans probably hate him for bailing on the team. Look at who stayed trezeguet Del Piero Camoranesi Buffon i dont know why cannavaro couldnt stick with them for just 1 year!
        WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

he wouldnt go back to juve, the fans probably hate him for bailing on the team. Look at who stayed trezeguet Del Piero Camoranesi Buffon i dont know why cannavaro couldnt stick with them for just 1 year!
          you cant blame him for being tempted by the club of the century...

last year he said the same thing about winning the league and we did. so hopefully well win the champions league too.

Comment

if u ask me players like buffon, camoranesi and del piero should've ALL left

why would u play in 2nd division RIGHT AFTER winning a World cup?????

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
              if u ask me players like buffon, camoranesi and del piero should've ALL left
              why would u play in 2nd division RIGHT AFTER winning a World cup?????
              its called loyalty.

If they all left Juventus wouldn't be in top flight as quick as it has .

Comment

this shows what an ignorant person you are! Tacos are Mexican food not Spanish!

And atleast Spanish clubs dont cheat like they do in Italy!

Comment

Well I hate to say this, but they have a big chance... Their squad is great

Comment

theres a guy with ambition. not happy with a WC win, scudettos and lastyear's title

Comment

Working...
                    X