NFL thread - 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFL thread - 2007

If the college thread is 25 pages deep I know there's gotta be a few NFL fans in here. So the first two weeks are already in the books... The Packers, 49'ers, and Cowboys are all 2-0 and O.J. Simpson has been arrested. We're back in the mid 90's .

Here's how I'd rank them through two weeks:

1. New England, (2-0)
    Cheaters or not, Brady and his new toys will be hard to stop all year. Belichick's defense is stout as always, and Wes Welker may prove to be the most underrated free-agent pickup of the year.

2. Indianapolis, (2-0)

Just barely got past Tennessee; an underrated team in their own right. Expect the Colts in the top 3 all season long.

3. Pittsburgh, (2-0)

Roethlisberger loves flingin' it around in this new offense. Santonio Holmes has emerged as a viable option opposite Hines Ward. Coach Mike Tomlin inherited one of the league's fastest, most aggressive defenses and has done well to avoid taking over the reigns from Dick LeBeau.

4. Dallas, (2-0)
    I really hate to say it, but the Cowboys look good right now. Their defense has struggled at times but Romo has picked up right where he left off last year. Except the Dallas slide to begin about mid-season or a bit after.

5. Chicago, (1-1)
    Any special teams coach that decides to punt to Devin Hester should be fired... immediately. I mean literally kicked off the field. This guy is from another world. How the hell Rex Grossman is still their QB is beyond me. If they can find someone to plug-in, just manage the game and stay out of the way, they'll be in better shape.

6. Cincinnati, (1-1)
    What happened to Marvin Lewis being a defense guru? 554 yards to Cleveland? That may not look as horrible if Derek Anderson turns out to be the real deal.

7. Washington, (2-0)
    The Washington defense is back after a one-off last season. LaRon Landry and Sean Taylor are a tandem in the secondary no team wants any part of. Just ask Kevin Curtis on that fourth down Monday night. Jason Campbell has a terrific arm to compliment the team's 1-2 punch in the backfield, but the team may have lost its entire right side of the offensive line for the season already.

8. San Diego, (1-1)
    They looked awful Sunday night in Foxboro. The squad is loaded with talent at every position except wide receiver, but any team that hires Norv Turner to be its head coach must've been sleeping under a rock for the past decade. That's a decision that's prompted a "wtf" out of me every time I think about it. Same offense as Cam Cameron's or not, Turner isn't head coach material.

9. Houston, (2-0)
    Picked them to upset Carolina this past weekend. The Texans have the hapless Falcons to thank for being dumb enough to give up Matt Schaub. Looks like David Carr was more of the problem in Houston than many thought.

10. Baltimore, (1-1)
    Not overly impressive in any facet so far. A .500 team at best this year with nothing on offense. Except a steady slide down the rankings all season.

11. San Francisco, (2-0)
    In desperate need of help at wide receiver, but a stout, reliable defense, a stud RB, and an up-and-coming QB will be enough to have them competing for the NFC West title through the final few weeks.

12. Detroit, (2-0)
    One of the better hires of the last several years was bringing Mike Martz in as offensive coordinator. For all the flack GM Matt Millen takes, and deservedly so, that was the smartest move he's made yet. If the defense can at least stay average, Detroit will be in the wild card hunt this year. How 'bout that Calvin Johnson?

13. Green Bay, (2-0)
    This young, not-so-touted defense will be the Packers' backbone this year. If Favre continues to just make plays when they're there and not try to force anything they'll have a shot at a wild card spot. They have some nice young weapons to work with in Greg Jennings, Brandon Jackson, James Jones.

14. Seattle, (1-1)
    If not for a botched hand-off they'd be 2-0.

15. Denver, (2-0)
    By far the worst 2-0 team in the league. Found a way to squeak by Buffalo by one in the dieing seconds, then actually lost at home to Oakland before being handed a second life.

16. Tennessee, (1-1)
    Jeff Fisher always has his defense competing and Vince Young finds a way to keep drives alive.

17. Minnesota, (1-1)
    Tavaris Jackson isn't an NFL quarterback. It's a good thing the Vikes acquired Brooks Bollinger. A stud offensive and defensive line as well as Adrian Peterson will keep them in the thick of things this year as long as Jackson doesn't repeat his 4 interception performance too often.

18. Carolina, (1-1)
    A quickly-aging defense and average quarterback may see them in the bottom 10 by year's end.

19. New Orleans, (0-2)
    Wow... who would've guessed they would get blown out in their first two games after last season? This should be the lowest they're ranked all year.

20. Arizona, (1-1)
    One of those teams who could easily be 2-0 or 0-2 right now. If Leinhart comes around along with Russ Grimm's offensive line, watch out.

21. Philadelphia, (0-2)
    If they could just field a punt they'd be 1-1. The Eagles aren't dead yet, but McNabb needs to pick it up.

22. NY Giants, (0-2)
    Midgets might be a more appropriate moniker to this point. They have some talent on both sides of the ball, but with an injured Manning and a coach that seems to have overstayed his welcome, the Giants appear set for a last-place finish in the NFC East.

23. St. Louis, (0-2)
    Scott Linehan may be the worst personnel man in the NFL. He isn't officially the team's GM, but he has way too much power. He wasted two first-day draft picks on TE's last year with 0 returns. Then he signs Randy McMichael, let's a young, blazing WR in Kevin Curtis go, and replaces him with a slow, aging Drew Bennett. They'll just survive with Bulger, Holt, and Jackson... how can you not?

24. N.Y. Jets, (0-2)
    Kellen Clemens couldn't have done much better in relief of Pennington in Ed Reed and Ray Lewis' house. Still, the Jets won't be doing much winning this year.

25. Cleveland, (0-2)
    Is Derek Anderson for real? If so... there's only way the Browns can go in these rankings. The Browns have weapons, the problem has always been getting them the ball.

26. Tampa Bay, (1-1)
    Signing Jeff Garcia was a rare good personnel move by Gruden.

27. Jacksonville, (1-1)
    No real difference-maker on either side of the ball unless Jones-Drew gets it going.

28. Buffalo, (0-2)
    J.P. Loserman. Enough said.

29. Miami, (0-2)
    Trent Green is officially old, and that Miami defense isn't too far behind.

30. Oakland, (0-2)
    Should be a surprising 1-1 if not for incredibly bad luck after kicking the game-winner in Denver. They still have a lot to prove. Loco Al Davis isn't helping.

31. Kansas City, (0-2)
    L.J. can't do it alone.

32. Atlanta, (0-2)
    Just signed 97-year old kicker Morten Andersen.

Dude that Oakland-Denver game was sooo unlucky, lol. The coach was very cheeky

Comment

Man Oakland got shafted hard in that game agaisnt Denver. My Raiders were actually playing tough in Denver, and our kicker Jano got ROBBED. That was such bs they made him kick again because Shana-rat called a time out. The only positive is that the Raiders are much improved from last year. I sitll am optomistic of a 5-6 win season. I just don't think Josh McClown should e our QB. I'm not saying start Jamarcus Russel because he missed all of preseason. I woudl like to see the Raiders put in Dauntae Caulpepper.

I actually think these are VERY FAIR RANKINGS.

Comment

Redskins Are 2-0 Baby!!! Nyg Are Going This Sunday!

Comment

Originally posted by Sherwin View Post
          Man Oakland got shafted hard in that game agaisnt Denver. My Raiders were actually playing tough in Denver, and our kicker Jano got ROBBED. That was such bs they made him kick again because Shana-rat called a time out. The only positive is that the Raiders are much improved from last year. I sitll am optomistic of a 5-6 win season. I just don't think Josh McClown should e our QB. I'm not saying start Jamarcus Russel because he missed all of preseason. I woudl like to see the Raiders put in Dauntae Caulpepper.
          I have no affiliation or emotional connection with the Raiders, but that ending pissed me off as you can tell be me mentioning it more than once. This might be the most Denver is above .500 all year long. McCown has been OK, but as you said it'd be interesting to see how Culpepper would do. This is an early test for Lane Kiffin.. how the Raiders shake-off such a heart-breaker and play on Sunday will tell us a lot about their future under this coach.

Comment

Originally posted by IranSoccer#8 View Post
            Redskins Are 2-0 Baby!!! Nyg Are Going This Sunday!
            Another Skins fan? I'm repping you just for that . My cousin and some friends are going to the Giants game this Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh View Post
              I have no affiliation or emotional connection with the Raiders, but that ending pissed me off as you can tell be me mentioning it more than once. This might be the most Denver is above .500 all year long. McCown has been OK, but as you said it'd be interesting to see how Culpepper would do. This is an early test for Lane Kiffin.. how the Raiders shake-off such a heart-breaker and play on Sunday will tell us a lot about their future under this coach.
              I think that under the circumstances Lane Kiffin is doing a great job. I notice a change in the attitude of the team. Mike Ditka even mentioned it on ESPN and said, "Last year if the Raiders were down 17-3 they would of quit." I'm going to be honest with you and give you a fair assessment of how the team improved so far.

DEFENSE- Well game one was a rocky start for the Raiderrs as the Lions just destroyed them in the air, and they had the #3 pass defense in the league. They rebounded well agaisnt Denver and played honerably, and LB Thomas Howard had a pick to the house (touchdown).
              Overall grade C+

Offense- Well Lamont Jordan has been on a tear. I'm sure glad I picked him up as my back up running back in fantasy football. I even started him the last two weeks over Clinton Portis. Only too bad my other running back LT is a dud so far.
              Offensive line-Wow our O-line coach Tom Cable is doing a great job with the O-line. Last year we were flat out pititful our QB Andrew Walter got killed, and Lamont coudn't get anything on the ground.
              WR's-Ronald Curry is obvioiusly showing that he is the true #1 WR and not Jerry porter. Mr. Porter better step it up because he was complaining all year that he was not the primary WR. Now that they got rid of Randy Moss, there is NO EXCUSE for him to get over 1,000 rush yards.
              Final Grade B-
              QB-Josh McCown has been KILLING US. At times he looks good but he follows it up with a stupid mistake. Lane Kiffin said that Johs McCown will start against Cleveland, but one more bad game and it's Caulpepper that will get the start.

My prediction the Raiders get off the hot seat and beat Cleveland in Oakland. Cleveland is not going to score over 50 points agaisnt the Raiders defense. Cinci's defense is pure GARBAGE so don't be fooled by Cleveland lighting it up.

Final Score Raiders 28 Cleveland 24.
              Raiders win in the 4th quarter with a game winning touchdown drive.

What Lane Kiffin needs to do is change the culture of losing. The Raiders need to learn how to win. That is going to be the toughest task for him this year. If Kiffin gets about 5-6 wins this year, he should be considered for the COACH OF THE YEAR.

Comment

Randy Moss is just showing that he still got all of it! Its just the raiders that suck badly these days. I guess if warren sapp goes to a team like the ravens he is gonna get it all back too.
                ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
                Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
                Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
                midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
                forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
                Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by persianbruin View Post
                  Randy Moss is just showing that he still got all of it! Its just the raiders that suck badly these days. I guess if warren sapp goes to a team like the ravens he is gonna get it all back too.
                  It's a little different when you have Tom Brady throwing you the ball instead of Andrew Walter.

Comment

Detroit, (2-0)
                    One of the better hires of the last several years was bringing Mike Martz in as offensive coordinator. For all the flack GM Matt Millen takes, and deservedly so, that was the smartest move he's made yet. If the defense can at least stay average, Detroit will be in the wild card hunt this year. How 'bout that Calvin Johnson?

Liiiiions baby!!

Comment

glad to see another Raiders fan around here!!!

The problem with Raiders is Al davis. One of these days im going have to do the entire state a favour and kill that man my self. His been slipping so badly. First it was taking robert gallery when our offence was one day away from a retirement home. Then it was bringing Art "Clock management is for suckers" shell. And now this. Its gonna be at least 2 more years before raiders are even a competent team.
                      The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

Comment

I think that under the circumstances Lane Kiffin is doing a great job. I notice a change in the attitude of the team. Mike Ditka even mentioned it on ESPN and said, "Last year if the Raiders were down 17-3 they would of quit." I'm going to be honest with you and give you a fair assessment of how the team improved so far.
                        DEFENSE- Well game one was a rocky start for the Raiderrs as the Lions just destroyed them in the air, and they had the #3 pass defense in the league. They rebounded well agaisnt Denver and played honerably, and LB Thomas Howard had a pick to the house (touchdown).
                        Overall grade C+
                        Offense- Well Lamont Jordan has been on a tear. I'm sure glad I picked him up as my back up running back in fantasy football. I even started him the last two weeks over Clinton Portis. Only too bad my other running back LT is a dud so far.
                        Offensive line-Wow our O-line coach Tom Cable is doing a great job with the O-line. Last year we were flat out pititful our QB Andrew Walter got killed, and Lamont coudn't get anything on the ground.
                        WR's-Ronald Curry is obvioiusly showing that he is the true #1 WR and not Jerry porter. Mr. Porter better step it up because he was complaining all year that he was not the primary WR. Now that they got rid of Randy Moss, there is NO EXCUSE for him to get over 1,000 rush yards.
                        Final Grade B-
                        QB-Josh McCown has been KILLING US. At times he looks good but he follows it up with a stupid mistake. Lane Kiffin said that Johs McCown will start against Cleveland, but one more bad game and it's Caulpepper that will get the start.
                        My prediction the Raiders get off the hot seat and beat Cleveland in Oakland. Cleveland is not going to score over 50 points agaisnt the Raiders defense. Cinci's defense is pure GARBAGE so don't be fooled by Cleveland lighting it up.
                        Final Score Raiders 28 Cleveland 24.
                        Raiders win in the 4th quarter with a game winning touchdown drive.
                        What Lane Kiffin needs to do is change the culture of losing. The Raiders need to learn how to win. That is going to be the toughest task for him this year. If Kiffin gets about 5-6 wins this year, he should be considered for the COACH OF THE YEAR.

lol i wish man. With patriots looking to go 16-0, it seems that belichick (even with cameragate lingering) wil probly win it. I HATE THE PATRIOTS.
                        Seriously i rather have the BRONCOS win then to see Belichick and his man boobs lift the superbowl.
                        The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

Comment

[QUOTE=Pharaoh;807713]If the college thread is 25 pages deep I know there's gotta be a few NFL fans in here. So the first two weeks are already in the books... The Packers, 49'ers, and Cowboys are all 2-0 and O.J. Simpson has been arrested. We're back in the mid 90's .

Here's how I'd rank them through two weeks:

1. New England, (2-0)
                          Cheaters or not, Brady and his new toys will be hard to stop all year. Belichick's defense is stout as always, and Wes Welker may prove to be the most underrated free-agent pickup of the year.

2. Indianapolis, (2-0)

Just barely got past Tennessee; an underrated team in their own right. Expect the Colts in the top 3 all season long.

3. Pittsburgh, (2-0)
                          Roethlisberger loves flingin' it around in this new offense. Santonio Holmes has emerged as a viable option opposite Hines Ward. Coach Mike Tomlin inherited one of the league's fastest, most aggressive defenses and has done well to avoid taking over the reigns from Dick LeBeau.

[QUOTE]

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets bakc up here. While they look ALRIGHT they arent even close to being in the top three. They beat the Bills and Cleveland. The Nfl Whipping boys. Dallas has beaten better or comparable teams by a wider margin.

Comment

Originally posted by mf_doom View Post
                            lol i wish man. With patriots looking to go 16-0, it seems that belichick (even with cameragate lingering) wil probly win it. I HATE THE PATRIOTS.
                            Seriously i rather have the BRONCOS win then to see Belichick and his man boobs lift the superbowl.
                            Ya man I agree with you and by the way are you a Raider fan? Seriously though Pittsburgh didn't play agianst top notch competition here we are talking about the Bills and the Browns. Was Northwestern or Duke unavailable?

Comment

Originally posted by MoJo23 View Post

Liiiiions baby!!
                              They are actually my 2nd favorite team man. Hey by any chance did you ever live in Michigan. You like the Wolverines and the Lions that's why I'm asking. By the way I have Michigan beating Penn St as my upset special in the college football thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X