Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of geography questions relating to football..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of geography questions relating to football..

Isn't Suriname , Guyana and French Guiana apart of south america?!

If so then why do they not compete in the south american competition?

Also how does Israel , Kazakhstan , azerbaijan qualify to uefa?!!

none of u bastards replied to my thread!!

I'm dissapointed!lol

Comment

When Soviet Union broke up and they were part of UEFA, the new CIS countries were offered the chance of playing in Europe or Asia apparently and there was a share in both Asia and Europe. Azerbaijan if I recall were never a part of AFC and decided to remain in Europe since Georgia did the same thing.

Kazakhstan was initially a part of AFC when they gained independance and after a few years requested change to UEFA as Australia did from OFC to AFC last year. AFC approved, UEFA approved, FIFA didnt object.

Israel is a complicated case. They were initially a part of AFC and won the Asian Cup a few times before the Palestinian conflict caused a boycott by Arab and Muslim countries in AFC. So they had to leave as a result and contested WCQ as members of OFC once. But after some talk, with no continent liking them, they applied for UEFA and got approval.

Suriname , Guyana and French Guiana are members of CONCACAF since they feel they stood no chance as members of CONMEBOL given the likes of Brazil, Argentina and others would pummel them to submission. So they decided to join North/Central America & Caribbean folks.

and my fingers are tired...
      sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info.

And as for the three countries in s.america choosing to go with concacaf , I dont think that they should be allowed to do that because it wouldn't be fair of the other weak countries in stronger confederations. Did you know Clarence Seedorf is orignially from Suriname? So maybe they can compete with the s.american countries who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
          thanks for the info.
          And as for the three countries in s.america choosing to go with concacaf , I dont think that they should be allowed to do that because it wouldn't be fair of the other weak countries in stronger confederations. Did you know Clarence Seedorf is orignially from Suriname? So maybe they can compete with the s.american countries who knows!
          Suriname was a former Dutch colony, and I think many folks tend to immigrate to Holland more often, and I guess at one time they qualify for Dutch citizenship too.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X