Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIFA abandons World Cup rotation

FIFA abandons World Cup rotation

FIFA has dropped its policy of rotating the World Cup between continents, opening the way for England to bid to stage the tournament in 2018.

The Football Association said the news was "very encouraging" and said there was a strong case for England to bid.

Chief executive Brian Barwick said: "It is exactly what we were hoping for and we will now discuss a timetable for a potential bid."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said an FA bid would have full government support.

"I am delighted that Fifa have opened the door for the World Cup to come back to England," he said. "By 2018, it will be 52 years since England hosted the World Cup.

"The nation which gave football to the world deserves to have the greatest tournament back on these shores.

"With the Olympics in 2012, possibly the Commonwealth Games in 2014, the Rugby World Cup in 2015 and the Cricket World Cup in 2019, a Football World Cup in 2018 would crown what I believe can be the greatest decade ever for British sport.

"If the FA decide to go ahead and bid for the tournament, they know they will have the full support of the government behind them, and we will make it our mission to persuade other countries to back us in bringing the World Cup back to England."

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter indicated there has been widespread interest in hosting the 2018 World Cup.

He said: "Already we have a bunch of big, great candidates."

These include the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg who have made a joint offer to host the event, while China, Australia, Mexico, the United States, Russia and Spain have also expressed interest.

Countries belonging to confederations that hosted the two preceding tournaments are barred from applying.

For 2018, that would rule out bids from Africa or South America, with South Africa hosting the tournament in 2010 and Brazil poised to be confirmed as 2014 hosts this week.

South America should be ashamed. Only Brazil is formally submitting a bid for 2014
    sigpic

Comment

its a good idea, other continents dont have the necessary wealth and facilities to hold big events like the world cup. How many countries in africa, asia and s. america can hold WC? maybe 1 or 2

p.s. wussup with england hosting all those events in that decade?

Comment

Pele absence bemuses Platini as Brazil seek 2014 World Cup

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) - UEFA president Michel Platini expressed surprise Monday at the absence of the legendary striker Pele from Brazil's delegation after they presented their candidacy to host the 2014 World Cup.

"How come Pele hasn't come to an event like this and isn't directly involved in the promotion of the World Cup in Brazil?" the head of European football's governing body asked Brazilian journalists.

"He is Brazilian football!"

The Brazilian journalists told Platini that relations were not good between the player known as "The King" and Brazilian football federation president, Ricardo Teixeira.

"Differences must be put aside for the good of the event," Platini responded.

The Brazilian delegation is being led by the country's president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

Brazil is the sole candidate for the 2014 World Cup, with world football's ruling body FIFA set to officially name the host country for the event on Tuesday.

Comment

i think iran should get it every game can be played in azadi lol
          WE ARE THE UNDER DOGS

Comment

Originally posted by persiangodfather View Post
            i think iran should get it every game can be played in azadi lol

tabriz = 75000 stadium dont forget that one

Comment

I'm hoping for spain. Would be awesome

Comment

anywhere in Europe would be good for me.
                The Worker-communist Party of Iran (WPI)
                For the struggle in Iran: "In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible.
                http://iransolidarity.blogspot.com/
                http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=96192296995
                http://worker-communistpartyofiran.blogspot.com/
                http://www.youtube.com/user/WPITV

Comment

if not dubai somewhere where prostitution is legal

Comment

Canada maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaebi View Post
                      I'm hoping for spain. Would be awesome
                      They had it in 1982 last time had it it was 1966. So England has better chance than spain.

Comment

kaka man<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rL6g_BRM7wg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rL6g_BRM7wg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

^^ tsk tsk tsk Messi
                          sigpic

Comment

italy have you seen there defence it is crazy.And then there offence damb

Comment

Originally posted by PersianMadrid7 View Post
                              anywhere in Europe would be good for me.

yea thats the best and safest place people can go

Comment

Working...
                              X