Australia to make 2018 bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia to make 2018 bid

Australia are likely to bid to host the 2018 World Cup following FIFA's decision to scrap its rotation policy, a senior official said.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) chief executive Ben Buckley said Australia was "very serious" about bidding for the 2018 World Cup now that it was open to countries outside of North America.

"We flagged our intention to bid for the World Cup at the earliest possible opportunity and we are delighted that the FIFA executive committee has decided to abandon the rotation policy," Buckley said.

"That will give us the opportunity to bid for and hopefully be successful in securing the right to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

"So whilst we will be competing with European-based nations and nations from all over the world, we think this will be a better system and a better opportunity for us."

Buckley said the FFA had undertaken preliminary work looking at potential stadiums and the financial feasibility of hosting the World Cup. FIFA's executive committee voted unanimously on Monday to ditch its policy of rotating the World Cup between the six continental confederations.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said a final decision on the hosting of the 2018 event would likely be taken in 2011.

that would be a good step forward for Australian Football, If it happens i would attend most of the games

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

That would be my dream come true.
      Just thinking about it makes me excited even though it is 10 years away.

MCG for the final would be one of the all time best stadiums that a World Cup final has been in.

Comment

Originally posted by babak_australia View Post
        MCG for the final would be one of the all time best stadiums that a World Cup final has been in.
        i beg to differ.

The MCG does not have the feel of a football stadium whatsoever.. the last game to be played there was between Australia and Argentina and the pitch looked crap.

Comment

even though I live in Australia and would be happy with the thought of a world cup being held here I dont think that Australia deserves to host such a tournament.

Australians have no respect or passion for this sport whatsoever . They call it soccer for one and say that it is a girls sport.

The other day a group of 30 of us got together to play a game of football in the city as we do every week and we were kicked off for the first time as we were told that the reserve was booked for cricket by some coucil official! Even though there wasn't anyone who were using the field and we were the only ones there.

Screw Australia.. they dont even deserve to play football.

I think a country like Iran, Egypt or Costa Rica deserve to host such tournament.

Comment

you're serious man? MCG is just an ordinary stadium

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Australia, Benelux ( Belgium/Holland), England,Spain, China are the main contenders..

BARCELONA-IRAAAN-PERSPOLIS
              CITY

Comment

Originally posted by Shahin K View Post
                Australia, Benelux ( Belgium/Holland), England,Spain, China are the main contenders..
                China?..

Yeh deffinatly...Asian Cup 2004 was a ****ing joke in terms of management for China...now they want World Cup...

Go stick a sushi up urs mate wat are they thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Arashi_Washi View Post
                  China?..
                  Yeh deffinatly...Asian Cup 2004 was a ****ing joke in terms of management for China...now they want World Cup...
                  Go stick a sushi up urs mate wat are they thinking

Jim Carrey aka Lloyd in Dumb & Dummer

"Austria...good day mate let's throw another shrimp on the barbe."

That would actually be a good place to host the WC because they have the facilities. I would love to travel to the land down under and see that part of the world.

Comment

they are gonna build a new SOCCER ONLY STADUIM for the world cup which i think will be the new home for melbourne victory but i dont think they can host it yet australia still dosnt have enough supporter (compare to other asian countries like iran,japan even qatar) aussies should stick to thier beloved AFL and criket and rugby
                    I got no time for a signiture

Comment

Originally posted by PFS View Post
                      they are gonna build a new SOCCER ONLY STADUIM for the world cup which i think will be the new home for melbourne victory but i dont think they can host it yet australia still dosnt have enough supporter (compare to other asian countries like iran,japan even qatar) aussies should stick to thier beloved AFL and criket and rugby
                      amen

they have no real love for the sport whatsoever as a nation.

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
                        amen
                        they have no real love for the sport whatsoever as a nation.
                        Yet they get close to 100,000 at international friendlies.
                        If you dont know, DONT talk.

Australia loves sport full stop and if it came here it would be one of the best. Just like it was in the US. Sport loving countries always back the big events.

We had the best Olympics ever, we have the F1, the Australian Open, Moto GP, Rugby World Cup, Athletics World Cup and Swimming World Cup and now we have been selected to host the 2011 Presidents Cup in golf.

What more do ppl need to see that this is the best sporting nation in the world and has the best resources????
                        http://www.worldstadiums.com/oceania...ustralia.shtml

Comment

Yet they get close to 100,000 at international friendlies.
                          If you dont know, DONT talk.
                          Australia loves sport full stop and if it came here it would be one of the best. Just like it was in the US. Sport loving countries always back the big events.
                          We had the best Olympics ever, we have the F1, the Australian Open, Moto GP, Rugby World Cup, Athletics World Cup and Swimming World Cup and now we have been selected to host the 2011 Presidents Cup in golf.
                          What more do ppl need to see that this is the best sporting nation in the world and has the best resources????
                          http://www.worldstadiums.com/oceania...ustralia.shtml
                          were talking about football here and you are in denial if you dont admit AFL and Rugby are ahead of football in many parts of Australia.

There were so many Australians that didn't even bother to watch their team at the 06 WC in Germany.

They call it a girls game and bag it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
                            were talking about football here and you are in denial if you dont admit AFL and Rugby are ahead of football in many parts of Australia.
                            There were so many Australians that didn't even bother to watch their team at the 06 WC in Germany.
                            They call it a girls game and bag it all the time.
                            At no point in my post did i say Football is ahead of AFL or Rugby.
                            All i say is that the people of Australia get behind there team no matter what sport and are always passionate.

Im sure there were many Germans that didnt watch there team play either.
                            Do u expect a 100% Viewing audience?? cause i can tell you that is not achievable.

There is some old fashioned ppl that are never gonna like football in Australia but just know that at a grass roots level football (soccer) is the number ONE sport played by the kids of Australia.

Comment

At no point in my post did i say Football is ahead of AFL or Rugby.
                              All i say is that the people of Australia get behind there team no matter what sport and are always passionate.
                              Im sure there were many Germans that didnt watch there team play either.
                              Do u expect a 100% Viewing audience?? cause i can tell you that is not achievable.
                              There is some old fashioned ppl that are never gonna like football in Australia but just know that at a grass roots level football (soccer) is the number ONE sport played by the kids of Australia.
                              and thats exactly my point, a nation with no passion for football doesn't deserve to hold the biggest footballing event on the calendar.

Football is the nr1 sport in Germany and I doubt the number of Germans not watching the world cup would be comparable to the nr of Ozzies watching the WC.

It wouldn't be fair on the other nations who love football. I reckon a country like Peru or Iran deserve to host this competition more than Australia.

And the only reason football is the most played sport in Australia at grass roots is because of the ethnice minorities that make up the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X