Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan chooses new coach, interesting choice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan chooses new coach, interesting choice..

http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=497994

Japan Choose Okada As New Coach

Takeshi Okada will be appointed as the coach of the Japanese national team for the second time next week. The 51 year-old will take the reins from Ivica Osim who suffered a stroke earlier in the month.

The Japan Football Association (JFA) made the decision on Friday and Okada will be confirmed as boss after an executive board meeting on December 7.

“His recommendation was approved by the technical committee," a JFA official told reporters.

"I think it is unlikely the executive board would turn today's decision down."

Okada was appointed into the same position back in 1997, succeeding Shu Kamo. He then led the team to the 1998 World Cup – Japan’s first appearance at the global tournament.

Three straight defeats prompted Okada to quit. Since that time, Okada took Consadore Sapporo to the J-league’s top flight and then led Yokohama F Marinos to two titles before stepping down in 2006.

Japan start qualifying for the 2010 World Cup on February 6. The three-time Asian Champions have been drawn in Group Two with Bahrain, Thailand and Oman.

There goes the strong japan we know..

Comment

i knew they would eventually choose a japanese coach this time...there was talk of osim's assistant and also the head coach of the olympic team, sorimachi, to take over, but i did read about this guy who took them to the world cup 98 as well.
      whatever happens, i hope he leaves osim's japan the way it is. even though osim had only been there for 1 year, the team looked very promising and was just getting stronger.

btw the reason i believe he was chosen (if it's true) so soon is because japan were planning to have a camp in december and january (hence the planned friendly with sepahan), before the start of their WC qualifying games. so i think he was chosen because he's familiar with the j league and it's players and can get together a team in time. i'm sure the jfa are looking at better options but are taking their time. i don't know much about japanese football but i doubt they'd settle for this guy to lead them to the world cup again having said that i hope he leaves the team the way it was...

Comment

Looks like a decent coach
        Iran deserves better, TM deserves better.
        O.G from '97 & still here

Comment

It seems that Irans one step ahead of these guys. Where as we're looking for a foreign coach, some of the asian countries are trying their luck at national coaches. I hope the success this guy can bring to Japan is better than what Ghalenoi did for Iran....

Comment

I think he is good because the guy's Japan beat Iran in 1998 WCQ!
            At that time we were simply the best team in Asia.

And 1998 Japan's performance against Argentina and Croatia were respectable although they lost every game.

Comment

Japanies are smart people.

Comment

sensible choice, considering what fashi wrote about the japanies preparations plans..!

Comment

Originally posted by Iran Nekounam View Post
                  It seems that Irans one step ahead of these guys. Where as we're looking for a foreign coach, some of the asian countries are trying their luck at national coaches. I hope the success this guy can bring to Japan is better than what Ghalenoi did for Iran....
                  it's a short term solution, considering they have to prepare very soon for the upcoming qualifiers and east asian cup. i don't think they are going to settle for him again at the world cup. they're taking their time looking for a top class coach i'm certain...but yes i'm sure he is better than ghalenoi, he at least took these guys to the wc 10 years ago. maybe mehdy can fill us in.

Comment

He isn't that bad.
                    When he took over the job 10 years ago, most of the Japanese people started to give up on their qualifying for the WC finals.
                    We thought UAE would become the runners-up behind South Korea.

Comment

Working...
                    X