Verbeek lands Socceroos job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verbeek lands Socceroos job

Pim Verbeek has pipped Philippe Troussier and been confirmed as the Socceroos coach on Thursday afternoon, finally ending the worldwide search by Football Federation Australia.

FFA CEO Ben Buckley contacted Troussier's Australian-based representatives Thursday at 2pm (AEDT) to inform them Frenchman - who is currently in Sydney - that his application for the job was unsuccessful.

Buckley and FFA Chairman Frank Lowy are understood to have made the decision to appoint Verbeek after discussions with the 51-year-old former Korea Republic coach in Singapore Wednesday.

"After very careful consideration and a rigorous recruitment process I am delighted that we have secured the services of a very experienced and respected national coach for the Qantas Socceroos," Lowy said.

Intense lobbying from the FFA's Dutch technical director Rob Baan and the backing of former Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink played a key role in Verbeek pipping Troussier.

The decision maintains the continuity of the Dutch technique and playing style fostered by Hiddink at the 2006 World Cup and adopted, with less success, by his short-lived successor Graham Arnold at July's Asian Cup.

"I am looking forward to the challenge ahead of qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and I am committed to also helping to develop the game in Australia," Verbeek said.

"I intend to become as familiar as possible with football in Australia and I will be based in Australia and intend to relocate immediately."

"I will be in Australia next week to observe players in the final rounds of the Hyundai A-League."

Verbeek, who led the Korea Republic to third place at the Asian Cup, quit immediately after, and his first test for Australia will be guiding the Socceroos through their first World Cup qualifying campaign through Asia.

"Finding the coach who we felt would be able to guide us through a very challenging FIFA World Cup qualifying path has been our number one priority and we are delighted that Pim Verbeek will be the man to lead the national team," Buckley said.

Verbeek was deputy to Hiddink as Korea stormed to the semi-finals of the World Cup in 2002 and was Dick Advocaat’s assistant when they crashed out in the group stage at Germany 2006.

Earlier on Thursday, a confident Troussier was outlining his plans to turn Australia in to an Asian superpower as he anticipated filling the void left by Advocaat’s about-face.

Talking for the first time following hush-hush discussions with Buckley and fellow interrogators John Boultbee (high performance manager) and Phil Wolanski (board member), he outlined his plan to utilise A-League players in the World Cup qualifiers against Qatar in Melbourne in February and away to China in March; his "exciting" style of play and the "pride" he would feel should he land the job Advocaat shunned for a pot of Russian roubles.

Troussier, 52, sounded like a man with one hand on the wheel when he said from Sydney: "I have been away from coaching for two years and this is an engrossing challenge for me."

"I see Australia with massive potential and also high expectations of going to the World Cup."

"I share that dream with them. I have been there twice before (with Japan in 2002 and South Africa in 98) and I know what is required."

"There is also pressure because the public want success and you need strong personalities to achieve that."

Troussier, who also guided the Blue Samurai to Asian Cup triumph in 2000 and third place at the 2001 Confederations Cup during his four-year stay, planned to live in Australia during his reign, with occasional forays to Europe to convene with top overseas talent like Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell, Vincenzo Grella, Mark Bresciano and Brett Emerton.

He was also formulating a Boxing Day summit in England with the nation’s European-based elite.

He described his style as a fusion of European, African and Asian after spells in charge of Qatar, Cote d'voire, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and Morocco – in addition to Japan and South Africa.

"It's a little from each of them, I have been living outside of France for over 20 years and there are many influences - most of all I like my teams to play with adventure," he added.

Cultured and urbane, Troussier, who has been writing a book on his football philosophy during his break from the game, said he felt re-energised.

"I was busy with a book, going to seminars, watching games, spending time with my children – football was never far away from my thoughts and now I am ready to return."

He still will. Though not with Australia.

Pim Verbeek: Coaching History
    1981-1984: Sparta Rotterdam
    1989-1991: Feyenoord
    1992-1993: FC Groningen
    1994-1997: Fortuna Sittard
    1998-2000: Omiya Ardija
    2000-2002: South Korea (assistant coach)
    2002-2003: PSV Eindhoven (reserves team)
    2003: Kyoto Purple Sanga
    2004: Netherlands Antilles
    2004-2005: Borussia Moenchengladbach (assistant coach)
    2005: UAE (assistant coach)
    2005-2006: Korea Republic (assistant coach)
    2006-2007: Korea Republic
    http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/...=st&cid=101359

Too long to read.....

LIKE YOUR SIG THO!

Comment

Hope he can make this team well organized and show the power of Australian football once again to the world just like what Guus did.

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

^ I hope not.

I cant believe they opted for a third rate dutch coach!

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
          ^ I hope not.
          I cant believe they opted for a third rate dutch coach!
          so what??south korea had this coach and they got 3rd place with that crappy squad

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Originally posted by shayan20 View Post
            so what??south korea had this coach and they got 3rd place with that crappy squad
            boro baacceee

BORO!!

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
              boro baacceee
              BORO!!
              damn right i really dont want to see another competition for iran in WCQ
              we already have problems of our own.
              i want australia to stay as the same level as the asia cup
              I got no time for a signiture

Comment

Originally posted by shayan20 View Post
                Yeah not to mention they only scored 3 lousy goals playing some of the most uninspiring football and scraped their way through the knock out games with THREE penalty shootouts, which they were very fortunate to win (against us).

Pim Verbeek is a very ordinary choice considering Philippe Troussier, who is a much more accomplished coach, was also vying for the top job. Troussier even flew down to Australia to convince them to hire him. Verbeek was only chosen because of his nationality and the fact that he was once an assistant coach to Hiddink, the FFA wanted a Dutch coach who would apply the same dutch-style system enforced by Gus Hiddink, but the Koreans tried this already and instead of the Dutch system Verbeek turned them into the Greece of Asia. If he carries on in the same vein with Australia it can only be a good thing for all their opposition including Iran .

Comment

The only competition i can see for iran in the WCQ now is japan and saudi arabia, the standard of korean and australian football will fall in a very short amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Iran Nekounam View Post
                    The only competition i can see for iran in the WCQ now is japan and saudi arabia, the standard of korean and australian football will fall in a very short amount of time.
                    korea is already dropping fast
                    I got no time for a signiture

Comment

looks like aussie wont qualify after all

all the games will end 0-0

Comment

Originally posted by persian boy View Post
                        looks like aussie wont qualify after all

all the games will end 0-0
                        It's so true. Not to insult Verbeek, but he's the time of coach who will put his entire team on defence even when they're playing a team thats only 1/5 as good as them.

Comment

at least he's much better than Arnold

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Working...
                          X