Petrino phones in resignation to Falcons, takes Arkansas job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petrino phones in resignation to Falcons, takes Arkansas job

wtf???? he just coached em last night, im not a huge fan of either team but that's just shady, u dont do that

Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned Tuesday as Atlanta Falcons coach after 13 games and was introduced as the new head coach of the University of Arkansas late Tuesday evening.

Petrino and his agent had been talking with the Falcons about his preference to return to the college ranks. He had only left Louisville in January, agreeing to a five-year, $24 million contract to coach the Falcons.

"Today was a day of decisions," Petrino said at a news conference in Fayetteville. "It was very difficult on one side and very easy on the other. ... The timing of it was what made it most difficult."

Petrino said he would have liked to see through the project in Atlanta, but he was quick to add: " It was easy to come to the University of Arkansas and become the head coach. I'm very excited to come back to the SEC conference which I consider the best football conference in the United States."

Citing the team as its source, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its Web site that Petrino phoned the Falcons about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday and resigned. Petrino and the team agreed he would not coach the Falcons' remaining three games.

The Falcons declined further comment beyond a terse, two-paragraph statement released Tuesday night. Owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay were scheduled to hold a news conference at 2 p.m. ET Wednesday.

Petrino and Arkansas did not have a deal earlier on Tuesday, the sources told ESPN, but once one is in place, Petrino is expected to be paid around $3 million a year to succeed Houston Nutt, who resigned after a tumultuous season and hours later took the Mississippi job.

Petrino did not answer his cell phone or a call placed to his Atlanta-area home by The Associated Press. His brother, Falcons receivers coach Paul Petrino, declined comment when reached on his cell phone.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Jeff Roberson

Bobby Petrino lost 10 of his 13 games as an NFL coach. He lost only 9 of 50 games in four seasons at Louisville.

Just two weeks ago, Petrino said he had no interest in any of the high-profile college jobs that had opened up, and he apparently told Blank in recent days that he would be staying with the Falcons.

"I haven't given it one bit of thought," Petrino said Nov. 26. "I certainly don't want to get into any speculation and rumors and having to deal with that. I'm focused on our football team here."

Petrino was the latest college coach to flop in the NFL.

Steve Spurrier quit after two mediocre years with the Washington Redskins. Nick Saban made it through just two seasons with the Miami Dolphins before returning to the college ranks at Alabama. Of course, they look like long-term hires next to Petrino, who abandoned the Falcons without even making it through one year. Falcons defensive back DeAngelo Hall was not happy about the prospect of his coach leaving.

"We felt like Petrino was going to be around for the long haul, like he had as much invested in this as we did," he said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "For him to jump ship is disheartening. Arthur Blank and the city of Atlanta, they deserve to win and we thought Petrino was going to be the guy to help us get there. He was a winner and wasn't used to losing.

"Maybe he didn't feel he could win at this level. I disagree with that. If he doesn't want to be a part of it, fine. We'll move on and get better and we will win games without him."

One of Petrino's former players thinks the coach will have more success back in college.

"I thought that it was his goal to win a Super Bowl and be in the NFL, but things change. People change their mind all the time," Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm told ESPN's Joe Schad. "He wants to get back into college. I think he'll be successful."

There was no immediate word who would take over as Falcons coach for Atlanta's final three games, though defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Hue Jackson would be the most logical choices.

Petrino's stint was one of the shortest for a non-interim coach since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Pete McCulley was fired after starting out 1-8 with San Francisco in 1978, and Sid Gillman lasted only 10 games in his second stint as San Diego coach, going 4-6 in 1971 before quitting.

In an interesting twist, Lou Holtz coached the New York Jets for 13 games in 1976. He went 3-10, then left the team with one game remaining to become the coach at Arkansas.

The Falcons are 3-10, their season torn apart by Michael Vick's involvement in a dogfighting ring and subsequent 23-month jail sentence, which was levied Monday. After losing Vick, Petrino tried three other starting quarterbacks without success.

The Falcons are assured of the 32nd losing season in their 42-year history. Petrino's resignation is another jarring blow to a team that dealt with Vick's legal troubles since the first day of training camp, when a plane flew overhead pulling a sign that said: "New Team Name? Dog Killers?"

Petrino assembled one of college football's highest-scoring offenses at Louisville, but the Falcons were anemic without Vick. They also were plagued by injuries on the offensive line, which forced them to start two players who weren't even drafted out of college.

Just hours after Vick's sentencing in Richmond, Va., Atlanta absorbed its fourth straight double-digit loss, 34-14 to the New Orleans Saints on "Monday Night Football".

Petrino's resignation had to be a major surprise to Blank, who fired Jim Mora just two seasons after he led the Falcons to the NFC Championship Game, and lured Petrino with a lucrative contract.

Before Monday's game, Blank said he felt better than ever about his decision to hire Petrino given all of the adversity the team faced this season.

"I feel real fortunate we have a terrific guy leading our team, our CEO, in Bobby Petrino," Blank said. "I think he's proven to me he's a better head coach than we thought he was going to be, dealing with a set of cards we didn't see unfold this year, which probably never in the history of the NFL has anything like this happened. Bobby has done a wonderful job dealing with all of these issues. He's kept the players focused."

But there were signs of dissension, especially in the way Petrino dealt with his players.

He ran the team with an aloof style, feeling no reason to share his decisions on personnel with the affected players. He could walk through the locker room without speaking to anyone and was openly criticized by two of the team's stars, Pro Bowlers Hall and Alge Crumpler.

Petrino drew the ire of the veterans with his decision to cut nose tackle Grady Jackson, one of the team's most productive defensive linemen, during the bye week. Quarterback Joey Harrington was clearly perturbed a few weeks ago when, after leading the Falcons to two straight wins, he heard from the media that Petrino still considered injury prone Byron Leftwich the starter.

Against the Saints, the Falcons made another change at the most crucial offensive position, giving Chris Redman his first start since 2002. While Redman threw for 298 yards and two touchdowns, the Falcons lost again.

They have been outscored by an average of 18.5 points in their last four defeats.

After the latest loss, Petrino sounded as though he was still committed to getting the Falcons turned around.

"We'll come back on Wednesday to take a look at it, and then we'll get back to work," he said. "We have to find something to rally around."

But clearly, Petrino already had decided to abandon the sinking ship.

serves falcon fans right for the way they threw vick under the bus

Comment

Originally posted by nypimpofpersia34 View Post
      ye that was bad!

(I dont know what the hell u are talking about!?!)

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
        ye that was bad!

(I dont know what the hell u are talking about!?!)
        Basically Vick took a deal with the Judge so he is admitting guilt. The moron decided to smoke weed while this whole mess was going on, and he got busted for it. Most valid sources are saying that Vick would of probably received 18 months if it were not for the added marijuana charges. The judge even pointed out that if Vick was honest up front, he would of let him go. Basically the guy failed a lie detector test when the question was asked, "Did you kill any dogs?" At first he said that he was not involved and alter on he admitted to hanging some dogs personally. Not only that but he did some hanky panky with taxes. VICK IS A DIRTBAG AND GOT WHAT HE DESERVED!

Petrino is smart for leaving Atlanta and going back to college coaching. He probably signed up thinking he could transform and mold Vick into a great pocket passer. He didn't sign up for this miserable season, and next year doesn't look much better for the Falcons.

Good move Petrino welcome to Arkansas and the SEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherwin View Post
          Basically Vick took a deal with the Judge so he is admitting guilt. The moron decided to smoke weed while this whole mess was going on, and he got busted for it. Most valid sources are saying that Vick would of probably received 18 months if it were not for the added marijuana charges. The judge even pointed out that if Vick was honest up front, he would of let him go. Basically the guy failed a lie detector test when the question was asked, "Did you kill any dogs?" At first he said that he was not involved and alter on he admitted to hanging some dogs personally. Not only that but he did some hanky panky with taxes. VICK IS A DIRTBAG AND GOT WHAT HE DESERVED!

Petrino is smart for leaving Atlanta and going back to college coaching. He probably signed up thinking he could transform and mold Vick into a great pocket passer. He didn't sign up for this miserable season, and next year doesn't look much better for the Falcons.

Good move Petrino welcome to Arkansas and the SEC.
          uh...that wasnt what he was asking about

and welcome to the sec? Nigga u live in LA

Comment

oh yea, i forgot how the team gave Vick the dogs, the kennel, the drugs, the idea for dogfighting, the weed and his dumb nigger friends.... OH WAIT THEY DIDNT!

dude one thing everyone in this country will learn one day is that the richer u are the harder u fall

PFDC 10 Years & Counting
            We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
            For some nice Lounge & Chillout head to -->http://www.youtube.com/user/mkbf86

Comment

You see this happening all the time in Soccer.

But in Football, this is the ultimate B*tch move to pull.
              What an @sshole.

Comment

Iran is no. 1.
                I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

uh...that wasnt what he was asking about
                  and welcome to the sec? Nigga u live in LA
                  Ya but I"m soon getting my place and moving to Arcadia within like a few weeks. It's like a rich area like 5 miles from Pasadena and I am waiting for the escrow to like finally close. What I"m talking about with the Welcome to the SEC is that Petrino first coached at Louisville(big East). He left Louisville to take the Atlanta Falcons job. His primary attraction was the idea of molding Vick into a pocket passer/scrambler. When this whole incident took place, he decided to bail because ATL is garbage. Now he is coaching Arkansas homie, and they play in the SEC(a conference in the south for college ball).

Comment

Originally posted by Amir_Temur
                    lol
                    anyways, i support Petrino...
                    Last year at Lousville he was coaching a better QB (Brian Brohm) than what he has right now on the Pro Level
                    I feel horrible for him, coming to a team that has been a strong NFC contender for the past few years thanks to Vik, then it all goes to hell in one swoop
                    Best of Luck to Petrino at Ar-KanSaS
                    Looks like we agree on something buddy. Petrino didn't sign up for Vick not being on the team. Atlanta is garbage this year and they will remain garbage for a while. Vick probably set this franchise back easily a few years. They will probably burn a first round draft pick on a QB for sure. It also takes time to develope into a elite QB.

The only thing I want to add to his career at Louisville, is that Petrio had a lot of help from the former coach John L Smith. He was the one that built the program up and Petrino took it to the next level. When Smith got called up to be the head coach at Michigan State(God that was a sutpid move by my Spartans), that gave Petrino an opportunity to take a good team to the next level.

He did one hell of a job molding Brian Brohm and obviously Louisville had a much better year last year. This year I think they went something like 6-6 and they were an early season top 10 team. They were one of the biggest busts this year in college football.

Comment

yeah and then he accidently hit a dog under the bus and killed him/her
                      ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
                      Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
                      Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
                      midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
                      forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
                      Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by persianbruin View Post
                        yeah and then he accidently hit a dog under the bus and killed him/her
                        I hope he enjoys prison sex. vick is going to take it from the behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherwin View Post
                          I hope he enjoys prison sex. vick is going to take it from the behind.
                          thats not funny at all. What does that have to do with his comment?

Comment

Working...
                          X