Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup 1998

Best world cup ever?

Had some really good classic games. Some I can think off from the top of my head:

Iran - USA
    Holland - Argentina
    Holland - Brazil (my favourite football game of all time)
    Denmark - Brazil (wow I was in shock when Denmark were leading)
    England - Argentina
    Croatia - Germany
    Croatia - France
    Scotland - Brazil
    Brazil - Chile
    Spain - Nigeria

the above games are imo all absolute classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Z5wLJ7BUE
    Watching that video, with that intro song when the players came in the field, gave me chills. I still remembered that song from the top of my head, even though I never figured out what it was called lol.
    Also I still remember the look on Ronaldo's face when he was taking the penalty
    ****ing awesome game

One of the worst world cups ever. The best is clearly 1970.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
      One of the worst world cups ever. The best is clearly 1970.
      I'm guessing that was the first one you watched? I think the reason I like 98 so much is because it was the first WC I watched (I was too young during 90 and 94 to understand what was going on)

Comment

yea wc 98 was the first one i watched and i loved it. brazil-holland was the best game with the best player in the world ronaldo scoring.

Comment

i dunno bout greatest cuz i havent seen all the WCs ever played, however 98 was a gooz one! many great matches at a time that we could all watch (9-5pm here), i changed my work schedule to watch all of those matches and i sat and watched each one w/ my dad, great memories

and i remember having to go to work and missing the ending of brasil vs holland so i had to watch the tape later that night and avoid talking to anyone about the game so they wouldnt ruin it for me lol

Comment

my first was usa 94...that got me interested in football. I must've been only 5 years old.

Comment

compare this to the 2006 semifinals. no dives.

Comment

Originally posted by milad View Post
                compare this to the 2006 semifinals. no dives.

that was the same vid as i posted man lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kaebi View Post
                  that was the same vid as i posted man lol
                  my bad. i didnt notice a link in your post.

Comment

for me 06 was the best because its the only one i saw most matches

Comment

I have been watchin them since 82 and to me first 1990 then 1986 were the best ones.

1986: arguably the best WC game of all time in the quarterfinals.
                      zico vs platini. france vs brazil went to penalty kicks with some of the most dramatic penalties ever.
                      then there was italy vs france in the round of 16.
                      Then the semis with germany against france nd finally one of the best finals of all time which wasnt decded till the dying minutes with 5 goals scored.
                      Did I mention Maradona single handedly winning the WC for the argentinians??

1990: schilacci coming out of nowhere to become the italian superstar.
                      germnay and the revenge against holland in the round of 16. best semifinal matchups maybe ever: germany vs england and italy vs. argentina.
                      gotta say though, the most boring and one sided final game ever although the fact that the final was a repeat of the previous WC generated a lot of disscussions.
                      ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
                      Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
                      Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
                      midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
                      forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
                      Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

For me it was 1994 since I both attended games and took part in the whole organization of the World Cup.
                        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

2002 was the worst. From the ones I have seen in my lifetime 1998 was the best.
                          My dad says 70 & 74 were the best.
                          Many say 82 was the most beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                            For me it was 1994 since I both attended games and took part in the whole organization of the World Cup.
                            i am glad you enjoyed cuz I hated it!! I even attended four games(1/8 b/w romania and argentina, semis brazil vs sweden, radeh bandi and the championship game) basically all the LA, pasedena games
                            ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
                            Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
                            Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
                            midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
                            forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
                            Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

1994 was my first world cup; Romario and Bebeto and their baby rocking dance were really entertaining to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X