X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPL plan matches abroad ??

From the BBC today:

Top clubs consider overseas games

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely that any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world

BBC Sport believes there would be five venues, with two games - on a Saturday and Sunday - taking place at each one.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one.

"The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said.

"But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game.

Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead.

"This is a chance for the Premier League to showcase their product around the world," added Bose.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the advantages.

"Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."

There is likely to be a big scramble for the right to host the extra games.

"It will be like cities bidding for the Olympic Games or the World Cup," explained Bose.

This has got to be a bloody joke !!

WTF?! Now who the hell will want to see a game between Middlesbrough vs Bolton in the USA ?? They can barely fill their own friggin stadiums let alone be properly well-known outside Europe !! Clubs already ***** and moan about fixture-congestion and now they have seemingly agreed to play an extra game outside the continent ??

Bloody greedy idiots
    sigpic

I hope this isn't true!!!

Comment

10 games is a bit too much...

Comment

stick to asia, middle east and america, i doubt many fans in european countries would give two shits if EPL games were played there
        Go Cows!

Comment

hell yea

i'd love to see CHELSEA-MAN U. in los angeles

Comment

Chelsea in Azadi

Comment

shiiiiiiiiiiiiit i'd sure as hell go! an EPL match THAT COUNTS???? i'm there!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Gurantee a game in Dubai and Japan.

Comment

Arsenal At Home Depot Center!

What A Dream!

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing an EPL match here in Canada, even though I doubt it will happen.
                    The Worker-communist Party of Iran (WPI)
                    For the struggle in Iran: "In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible.
                    http://iransolidarity.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=96192296995
                    http://worker-communistpartyofiran.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/WPITV

Comment

An EPL match with well known teams will sell out Azadi.

Comment

It's a beginning of EPL's end

Comment

Working...
                        X