Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking News: Jason Kidd To Dallas Mavericks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking News: Jason Kidd To Dallas Mavericks!!!

Trade Spin: Jason Kidd to Dallas

By Eric Karabell
    ESPN.com

February 13, 2008, 5:31 PM

Good for Jason Kidd. This is what he wanted, to escape New Jersey, where, at this time of year, there is bad weather, a bad smell (hey, you open those windows while driving on the New Jersey Turnpike) and, most importantly, a bad team. Now he is heading back to Dallas, with good weather, a good owner and a good team that certainly has a shot to win a championship. (I'm not really sure how Dallas smells, by the way, but I do sense a nice playoff run coming).

The Mavericks are sending five players, picks and cash to the Nets for the rights to the NBA's No. 3 assist man, and nobody can fault them for it. They are the latest in a line of top Western teams making bold moves. Two of those players, Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse, were key members of the team's nightly rotation , but Kidd is No. 15 on the ESPN Player Rater, and rest assured, nobody going to the Nets is ranked anywhere close to that. Fantasy owners expect Kidd to pile on the assists and rebound like a small forward, and he does that. Things shouldn't change very much out West, although Kidd should be happier now. He had two finishers, Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter, averaging more than 20 points per game in New Jersey, and the same will hold true with his new team.

Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard currently are the main scorers in Mark Cuban's investment, and if anything, their production could rise a bit. Harris was leading the team in assists with 5.3 per game, and Kidd could double that by himself. Kidd is one of the top passers of this generation and gets the ball to the right places, and, of course, he can lead a fast break. His presence could reinvigorate Nowitzki, who is having his worst statistical season in four years.

Just know that if you are thinking of dealing the farm for Kidd in your fantasy league, changing uniforms won't change his shot. He is not a good shooter, in case you thought his .366 field goal percentage was a fluke. It's a bit low, even for him, but the best he has shot since 1999 is .414. So his percentage might increase a bit, but he's not Amare Stoudemire. Kidd contributes in 3s and ranks in the top 20 in steals, and for those who get extra points for triple-doubles, Kidd is your man. Those numbers shouldn't change much in Dallas, either.

Really, it's all good for the Mavericks. Harris was the starting point guard; Kidd replaces him. Jason Terry generally comes off the bench, and that should continue. Lest you think Terry's assists soon will drop, note that he was getting merely 3.3 per game. He's a shooter. Stackhouse was playing 24 minutes off the bench, but he hadn't played much in the past three weeks. It's unlikely the Nets will even keep him around; the rumor is Stackhouse will be waived and return to the Mavericks in 30 days. Maybe he'll be healthy by then.

Jose Juan Barea has been starting at shooting guard for Dallas, and Brandon Bass has emerged as a productive frontcourt player. The players who are leaving shouldn't be missed too much. DeSagana Diop was a shot-blocking presence, leaving the team with only Erick Dampier to handle those chores, but one doesn't halt a trade like this over something like that. Dampier simply will need to step up, especially when Shaquille O'Neal is a potential playoff opponent.

Nets fans shouldn't expect to see more than 20 minutes of Diop per night, especially with the recent revelations that Nenad Krstic is nearly ready to start playing major minutes. The additions of Devean George and Maurice Ager shouldn't add to Nets season ticket sales tomorrow. I wouldn't call any Mavericks (or Nets, for that matter) must-pickups because of any opportunities provided by this deal.

In New Jersey, Jefferson and Carter are left behind for a 23-29 team that actually is the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference. How proud the team must be. Harris was drafted from Wisconsin as a point guard and could emerge as a better fantasy player with more minutes and more assists, but there's no guarantee. The Nets, even with distributor Kidd, were No. 28 in the league in scoring. Dallas should get to the top 10 after this deal.

Harris' 5.3 assists per game (incidentally, easily a career best) won't cut it in fantasy. And it's not like Harris suddenly will score 20 points per night, either, not with Jefferson and Carter demanding shots. Harris' first problem is to get healthy; he suffered a left ankle bone bruise in January and is expected to be ready to play after the All-Star break. His second problem will be if the slower Nets look to the future and bypass him as a starter for Marcus Williams, the second-year point from Connecticut who deserves a look.

Williams hasn't received many minutes this season, but Kidd wasn't sitting much. Darrell Armstrong is another option at the point, but he never was much of a shooter, and he's 39. He could see a bump in minutes, but it's unlikely he'll do a whole lot with them.

Dallas just got a hell of a lot older. Personally I dont' think Kidd or Shaq for Phx is the answer. These are retaliation moves for Lakers getting Gasoul. Kidd is a temporary fix but even with him I don't see Dallas winning anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherwin View Post
      Dallas just got a hell of a lot older. Personally I dont' think Kidd or Shaq for Phx is the answer. These are retaliation moves for Lakers getting Gasoul. Kidd is a temporary fix but even with him I don't see Dallas winning anything.
      the kidd move was retarded for me but phoenix did good to get shaq

now they have amare and shaq up front and nash to dish it to them
      plus you also have grant hill to support nash and either barbosa/raja bell
      wow what a team

Comment

Originally posted by Arian View Post
        the kidd move was retarded for me but phoenix did good to get shaq

now they have amare and shaq up front and nash to dish it to them
        plus you also have grant hill to support nash and either barbosa/raja bell
        wow what a team
        Yes but Shaq is not the same player he once was dude. Phoenix is a run up and down full court kind of a team. Basically they are going to play 4 on 5 basketball because it will take Shaq some time to move his big butt. Shaq is only averaging something lke 14-15 pts per game which is a career low. The guy is not what he once was when he was with the Lakers or Orlando.

Furthermore Marrion was averaging more points than Shaq, and the dude they gave up with Marion, was Phoenix's best rebounder. Shaq could be good for a team that runs half court offense but not a full court run and gun team like Phx.

As for the Dallas trade, personally I think Cuban got hosed! He gave up WAY too much for Kidd so we agree there.

Comment

yea but nash, stoudamire, and shaq are not gonna all average 20+ pts per game so it doesnt matter if shaq is averaging a career low

Comment

yea but nash, stoudamire, and shaq are not gonna all average 20+ pts per game so it doesnt matter if shaq is averaging a career low
            You bring up a good point but I will tell you one thing THIS NBA SEASON JUST GOT INTERESTING. You have the Lakers now as a major player, of course you have your normal players like Phx, Dallas, and the Spurs all in the mix.

personally I believe that Shaq belongs in the west. Nash and Stoudamire need to carry that team they better not depend on Shaq to get them 20ppg. Shaq can still be effective if he focuses on defense(clogging up the middle), rebounding, and block shots, If he gets you 15 points that is just bonus gravy.

It's going to be interesting go Lakers.

Comment

and send Mr. Useless Carter to Harlem Globe Trubbers to work as the towel boy..

ستايشگر آموزگاری هستم که انديشيدن را
              به من بياموزد و نه انديشه ها را. زرتشت

Comment

Originally posted by Amir_Temur
                Trade Blocked...for now
                yes apparently because someone has a no trade clause

Comment

yes apparently because someone has a no trade clause
                  deveon george, who went 0-11 from the field last night.

Comment

i never liked Kidd, hes my number one hated PG, along with Mike Bibby

Calderon > Kidd

Comment

Originally posted by Amir_Temur
                      Trade Blocked...for now
                      Yep because Devin George has a no trade clause in his contract. I'll bet Dallas fans are loving Devin George. First last night he goes 0-11 shooting and now he might put a kibosh on the Kidd deal. I am so glad the Lakers got rid of this piece of garbage player. He is useless and just eats up cap space.

This actually might benefit Dallas in the long run if the trade doesn't go down. They are giving up way too much for Kidd if you ask me. IF you take away the draft picks it's a fair deal but that is too much for an old Kidd.

Comment

Originally posted by persian boy View Post
                        i never liked Kidd, hes my number one hated PG, along with Mike Bibby

Calderon > Kidd
                        kidd has a lot to do with nash being as good as he is now. kidd was his mentor when both were in phoneix during nash's first couple of seasons (before nash went to dallas).

Comment

Originally posted by arash123 View Post
                          kidd has a lot to do with nash being as good as he is now. kidd was his mentor when both were in phoneix during nash's first couple of seasons (before nash went to dallas).
                          I love Kidd on the field, but off the field he is one of the biggest scumbags you will every meet. He got his coach fired after Byron Scott(SP) took the Nets to the NBA finals, and HE BEAT HIS WIFE.

Then what makes things worse is he does that stupid signal to say I love you in the games. Who is this jerk trying to fool here seriously? Now looking at it from an NBA perspective Mark Cuban is getting hosed here. That would be a fair trade minus the draft picks. I believe Dallas has an average agae of 29, so if you add Kidd they will get a lot older. Kidd has maximum one to two yers left in the tank, and I don't think this will get Dallas over the hump. They are not playing good basketball this season.

Comment

ITS OFFICIAL!

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Ki...de_021908.html

Comment

Working...
                            X