MLS sucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
    LOL, well maybe they will beat Hong Kong Union.

SEOUL, South Korea -- David Beckham was the only one of five Los Angeles Galaxy players to convert in a penalty shootout and the Major League Soccer team lost to South Korea's FC Seoul in an exhibition game Saturday.

After the match ended 1-1, Seoul won 2-1 in the shootout thanks to four saves by goalkeeper Kim Ho-jun.

"We were disappointed to lose on penalties but penalties are like that -- there has to be a winner and a loser," Beckham said. "The overall play of the team in the first 30 minutes was good, some of the best football I've played with the Galaxy."

Every Beckham touch was applauded by the crowd that filled just half of the 65,000-capacity Seoul World Cup Stadium.

"The fans were giving me thumbs-down before the penalty so when I scored, I gave them the thumbs-up," Beckham said. "It was all a bit of fun."

The Galaxy had the better of an energetic first half, but the game slowed considerably after the break.

After just six minutes, Beckham was brought down by Lee Chung-young and the former England captain exchanged words with the young Korean.

In the 20th minute, Beckham set up the opening goal, floating a freekick into the penalty area, where Alan Gordon slotted the ball past Kim from close range.

Seoul equalized 10 minutes later when Jung Jo-gook scored from the penalty spot.

Beckham was the first player up in the shootout and blasted his kick high into the net, but Kim wasn't beaten again.

It was the opening leg of the American team's preseason East Asian tour. The Galaxy will play against Shanghai-Hong Kong United in Shanghai on Wednesday and then travel to play Hong Kong Union on March 9.
    it was the LA Galaxy that lost.. the worst team in the mls.. they suck more than the columbus crew, this is the same team that lost to sydney fc you newb

Comment

The problem with the MLS is the way it is structured. I think the draft system is ineffective when the league is so young and looking for talent. A lot of ordinary people who would get opportunities to play professionally in the rest of the World don't get that opportunity in the MLS.

Also, I have no idea if there is a connection between the United Soccer League (USL) and the MLS, but there should be a promotion/relegation system in place between the two. The threat of relegation provides more incentive for improvement than the allure of championship.

Teams will fight harder to survive. They will spend more money on players who will actually improve the team, not just popularise it like Beckham...

Comment

Originally posted by KevinisGQ View Post
        it was the LA Galaxy that lost.. the worst team in the mls.. they suck more than the columbus crew, this is the same team that lost to sydney fc you newb
        And the world....
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by behnam View Post
          The problem with the MLS is the way it is structured. I think the draft system is ineffective when the league is so young and looking for talent. A lot of ordinary people who would get opportunities to play professionally in the rest of the World don't get that opportunity in the MLS.

Also, I have no idea if there is a connection between the United Soccer League (USL) and the MLS, but there should be a promotion/relegation system in place between the two. The threat of relegation provides more incentive for improvement than the allure of championship.

Teams will fight harder to survive. They will spend more money on players who will actually improve the team, not just popularise it like Beckham...
          i agree with you there...! their current format of the competition is a joke..!
          everyone but the worst 2 teams qualify for play-off where every team has just about as much chance of winning the title as the next(except for slight home field adv.)
          also another crappy thing is that all of the league players are owned and get paid by the League itself rather than their individual clubs..!
          yet all these peculiar formats are put in place to ensure its longevity and long term stay and popularity as a viable spectator sport in America..!
          i am sure once enough fans catch on to the game of soccer and the league get more notoriety in the news media...then those necessary changes will occur in order to make MLS a respectable league around the football world..!

and to be honest they seem to be improving by leaps and bounds every year and right now the quality of play and competition in MLS to me seems greater than our own IPL..!! or at least on the same level..!??

Comment

LOL, for God's sake it's a South China selection!!!!

David Beckham netted twice from the spot but the Los Angeles Galaxy's three-match Asian tour ended on a losing note with a penalty shoot-out defeat to a South China Invitational side at Hong Kong Stadium.

After Alan Gordon had cancelled out Detinho's opener, South China thought they had secured victory when skipper Li Haiqiang converted a last-minute penalty.

But Galaxy were awarded a spotkick of their own in stoppage time and Beckham made no mistake from 12 yards. He then scored the opening penalty of the shoot-out before Greg Vanney's miss proved the difference.

The 32-year-old, bidding to win his 100th England cap against France on March 26, completed the full 90 minutes as he builds up his fitness ahead of the Paris encounter.

But, his usual threat from crosses aside, the former England captain only had limited influence on a lacklustre game.

Beckham's first prominent contribution, a trademark cross from the right, was nodded wide by Ely Allen on 25 minutes after he ghosted into the box between two defenders, before the midfielder drove an effort from 25 yards straight at keeper Zhang Chunhui.

Maxwell glanced Wong Chin Hung's centre beyond the far post for South China before Galaxy came closest to taking the lead just after the half hour mark.

Beckham's low cross into the box from the right flank skipped up off the turf and the onrushing Peter Vagenas looked certain to score with a deft side-foot from the edge of the six-yard box, only for Zhang to athletically claw the ball over the bar.

Beckham then picked out an unmarked Alvaro Pires from the resultant corner but the midfielder headed horribly wide from eight yards out.

South China took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Itaparica's cross from the right eluded everyone and Detinho controlled the ball on his chest before poking home at the far post.

Sean Franklin headed wide from close range after good work in the box from Carlos Ruiz but Galaxy equalised in the 61st minute when Gavin's defence-splitting pass sent Gordon clear and the substitute coolly slotted past Zhang.

Maxwell headed narrowly over with three minutes remaining as a listless encounter drew to a close before South China were awarded a penalty with just seconds to go when Troy Roberts slipped and handled in the area.

Li made no mistake from the spot, sending Steve Cronin the wrong way. However, Galaxy were handed a reprieve when Festus Baise did exactly the same in the South China box and Beckham drilled the penalty straight down the middle.

He then found the corner of the net with the first effort of the shoot-out before Vannay blazed his spot-kick over the bar.
            I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

My boys...KC Wizards.....just sign Claudio Lopez, the argentine..!!
              I know he used to be a bad asss but i havent heard of him doing jack as of late, and the fact that he is now in MLS also suggest that he may be too old and played out to be an impact player for us..!
              has anyone followed his career closely in the past couple of years..?
              what are the chances that he will be able to raise some eyebrows next year for my team in MLS?? Anyone.?

Comment

Working...
              X