do you agree with baggio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you agree with baggio?

i was surfing goal.com and an article caught my eyes. it wasnt the usual "x fears us" "we are confident and think we can get 3 points" "x is injured" "x team wants x player" bs.

Calcio Debate: Is Baggio Right - Has Skill Disappeared From Football?Cristiano Ronaldo and Thierry Henry are two excellent examples of the modern day player. Both, when in form, are world class performers, but ask yourself how good they would be if you remove the pace and physical features from their games.http://jp.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=641500

true about crystiano. rofl at rooney thinking manure plays like brazil.

i think baggio is partially right. i mean, speed makes games more exciting but its becoming a necessity, which is not good. he is right about athlete first, footballer second. which especially holds true in the premiership.

im guessing the reason is not many countries can produce talented players and skills.

i think its a basic phenomenon of exploiting ur best features to maintain a competitive advantage.
    if u cant match the other teams in skill, then overcome them in features ur superior to them like physique or speed. and since the number of technically skilled teams are low in number, so the non-technical teams have discovered a way to stop them and are growing in number and dominance.

these are the countries i think produce enough skill or technique:
    spain
    portugal
    italy
    holland
    mexico
    brazil
    argentina
    iran (in asia atleast )
    + 5 or 6 more south american teams

a maximum of 15 countries from 200+ countries.

no compare them to speed and/or physique dominating countries:
    whole of oceania (mostly physique)
    whole of africa
    whole of east europe + germany, czech republic,france
    whole of north europe and schandinavian countries
    all the ex soviet union countries
    all the east asian countries (speed, no physique)
    whole of north america excluding mexico.

so basically its south america + west europe VS rest of the world.
    obviously rest of the world dominates in terms of numbers!
    Originally posted by siavasharian
    ESTEGHLAL:

بهترین خط دفاع.بهترین خط حمله.ثبت رکورد بیشترین گل زده.پر امتیاز ترین تیم ادوار لیگ برتر با ۴۰۹ امتیاز.پر افتخار ترین مربی لیگ برتر با دو قهرمانی
    بهترین گلزن لیگ: آرش برهانی [استقلال] با ۲۱ گل زدهبهترین خط حمله: استقلال تهران با ۷۰ گل زده

Comment

This is what I have been saying for 19 years ( First time I said it the day arsenal beat liverpool in the last game of the season to win the EPL in 1989)

Countries with a lot of street football produce a lot of talents (Iran, brazil, and most of the latino countries. Countries where more of the football is organized class oriented football (like germany) produce less
      ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
      Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
      Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
      midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
      forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
      Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

i hav given up on playing soccer in my school now because its impossible to dribble, because they just push u away and usualy it isnt a foul.

but in brazil everybody is abou skills u will never see anyone that has only speed or physique
        I got no time for a signiture

Comment

Originally posted by persianbruin View Post
          This is what I have been saying for 19 years ( First time I said it the day arsenal beat liverpool in the last game of the season to win the EPL in 1989)
          Countries with a lot of street football produce a lot of talents (Iran, brazil, and most of the latino countries. Countries where more of the football is organized class oriented football (like germany) produce less
          The best part was, that game was played at Anfield and the winner by Michael Thomas happened in the last seconds of the game
          sigpic

Comment

Il Codino (Baggio) has been the player I have adored all my life. I have never loved any player as much as i did him. His posters were all over my room when I was a kid. HOWEVER, I'll have to disagree with him on this one.

The fact that pace and physical strength has become essential in modern football is a good thing, not a bad one. The fact that you HAVE to be an athlete first to be a good footballer ADDS to the value of the game.

I HATE sports that do not require athleticism. I wouldn't call that a sport. Maybe football was a bit more "authentic" in the early 90s (which is as far back as I remember) but it is a more complete game today. Now, a player who just has talent cannot become a world-class star just thanks to his skills or technique. He will have to TRAIN HARD. This way, players who are dedicated and hardworking can distinguish themselves from lazy ones who just wanna take advantage of their talent or "technique". NOW FOOTBALL is almost on the same level as RUGBY when it comes to the physical requirements and the training needed. This is a step forward for the game.

Comment

1- Baggio is THA MAN!

2- I got to disagree with him a little bit. It's true that it takes away from skills but i think its more of a combination of both strength and skill. The height factor is basically because now days kids are taller in general as a few decades ago. All my younger cousins are pretty much taller than me, so its normal.

Comment

Comment

what a genius article, and what a genius he was

FORZA IL CODINO

Comment

i understand wut he's sayin but the game has evolved and to survive and be a great player these days u hav to become wut the game has become, but better...the game has become faster and more physical because of the players becoming faster and stronger so as a result u get fast and strong stars w/ less skill

can u imagine one of the stars of 40yrs ago playing in today's league? he'd get run over! just like NFL greats from yrs and yrs ago, i hav a patient now who told me played football and i asked him wut position and he told me he was a linemen at 180lbs!!!!! that's a wide receiver today! lol

Comment

If skill and technique was all that was needed the Korean ball juggler would b the best player in the world.

Comment

/that freestyle looks ugly for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Suprah View Post
                          The best part was, that game was played at Anfield and the winner by Michael Thomas happened in the last seconds of the game
                          you dont have to tell me that!!! I could not believe it!!
                          ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
                          Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
                          Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
                          midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
                          forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
                          Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by mayhem View Post
                            If skill and technique was all that was needed the Korean ball juggler would b the best player in the world.
                            what has juggling got to do with football except for the fact that there is a football and same part of the body are used?

Comment

Originally posted by ShahHouman View Post
                              i understand wut he's sayin but the game has evolved and to survive and be a great player these days u hav to become wut the game has become, but better...the game has become faster and more physical because of the players becoming faster and stronger so as a result u get fast and strong stars w/ less skill
                              can u imagine one of the stars of 40yrs ago playing in today's league? he'd get run over! just like NFL greats from yrs and yrs ago, i hav a patient now who told me played football and i asked him wut position and he told me he was a linemen at 180lbs!!!!! that's a wide receiver today! lol
                              in american football maybe but those old soccer players used to be strong too...the ball was alot heavier back then

Comment

Working...
                              X