Why Kobe won't win MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Kobe won't win MVP

if we look at what Kobe Bryant has done in the past two seasons without winning the MVP, there should be no way he can win it this year. Which leads us back to the hate: A man averages 35.4 ppg, the eighth-highest average in the history of the league; he gives you 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.8 steals; he has 27 games of 40-plus points, has one month where he averages 43.4 ppg, scores 81 in one game and outscores an entire team in another (the 62-point game against Dallas where he sat out the fourth quarter); he is on the all-defensive first team (something not one of the other players in the MVP running is included on); and he leads a CBA-built team to the playoffs. The man has a season that no one is likely to see for another generation and he comes in fourth in the MVP voting that year.

That same man, the very next year, averages 31.6 points, 5.7 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.4 steals for the "fedora trick"; he has 10 games of 50-plus points, only the second person in NBA history to do so in a single season (including a four-in-a-row stretch that hadn't been seen in more than 20 years); he makes the all-defensive first team again; and this time he takes a YBA-built squad to the playoffs. In a season that many claim is more "complete" than the season before, the man this time comes in third in the MVP voting.
    ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
    Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
    Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
    midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
    forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
    Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

I don't feel like reading all that right now, but I'll comment. Kobe is the NBA's best player, but not necessarily the MVP. It has more to do with how the MVP candidate's team has done this year and their current ranking, as well as the player's value to the team.

I'll tell you this much. If the Hornets win the West (They're in good shape right now.), there's a strong chance Chris Paul'll win it. If the Lakers win it, Kobe might be considered the favorite. We can't forget KG either. Boston has the best record in the league, and this will be taken into consideration by voters.

Kobe's the best in the league, but he isn't all the Lakers have got. They're a hell of team with Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, a healthy Bynum, etc. It's been more of a team effort this season. Kobe has eased up on scoring to facilitate the others and get Ws, despite the recent blunders vs. Memphis, Charlotte, and Portland. Chris Paul, on the other hand, has turned a team that missed out on the playoffs last season to the best in the West currently. He has made all his teammates better, and is a worthy candidate. That leaves us with Lebron James. He's still been as consistent as ever, despite back problems, but the Cavs have sunk heavily. I don't think he has too stong a chance of getting it.

On a side note, persianbruin. I know how big a Laker fan you are. I wanted to tell you guys I had the honor of meeting Lamar Odom in person last Sunday in downtown Sacramento. Me and my dad were driving by the Sheraton, and Lamar happened to be leaving the hotel and walking down the street before the game with the Kings. From our car I recognized him and shouted out his name. He greeted me and my dad graciously. He's a real khaki guy. He's just as humble and down to earth as he seems on TV...
    "More jazz than Hornacek"

Comment

good response rostam.
      im originally from la so naturally i love my lakers and clippers.
      however, the lakers traded shaq and bent over for kobe, and the team has never been (until this year) a real threat. so no matter if kobe scores 80 or 20 points, i believe the sportscasters and comparing to kobe and shaq vs the lakers without shaq, and the laker team with shaq we all know was MUCH better.

it doesnt help that kobe b*tched out the gms of the lakers to put them through an ultimatum.

i think thats why he hasnt won it yet, but i am almost positive that wil change this year.

Comment

you win MVP if your team end up being the last 4
        i know they decide for the season but the playoff play a big role too
        you never see anyone get MVP when their team gets knocked out the first round of playoffs

Comment

You guys are either too young and havent followed bball for that long or just dont like kobe

1) ekbatan: KG won the MVP when his team was overall 7th in the leaguein 2003 and he had great teammates

2) ROSTAM: KG couldnt even make it to the playoffs the last 3 years when he was on a wetern team. The last 2 years while KG was 11th in the west the lakers made it to the playoffs because of KOBE and KOBE alone

3) boston is so good this year cuz: they have 3 allstars not just KG. how about paul pierce and ray allen?? Dont forget ray allen is 2nd on the ALLTIME 3-point shooting list. Last year paul pierce was absent for the big chunk of the season and they pretty much tanked it .

bottom line is MVP means the best player in the league. Thats it!! people who didnt like KObe started abusing it just so they wouldnt have to give him the award. The thing is the league is not putting the definition in concrete thus all the controversy.
          Last edited by persianbruin; 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM.
          midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
          Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
            you win MVP if your team end up being the last 4
            i know they decide for the season but the playoff play a big role too
            you never see anyone get MVP when their team gets knocked out the first round of playoffs
            last year!!!! Dirk nowitzki

They gave him his mvp trophy in the office!!

in 2006, one rebound in game 6 by kwame (small hands) brown and the same woulda happened to steve nash

in 1993, Byron scotts 3 pointer was an inch too long, that year the lucky guy was charles barkley

Comment

i think its pretty safe to say chris paul will win the MVP this year
              Go Cows!

Comment

Originally posted by Demis-11 View Post
                i think its pretty safe to say chris paul will win the MVP this year
                I know and its a shame!!

This Kobe hating ha provoked some really unjust MVP honors
                I am a kobe fan andI believe he should have won it in 2003,2006 and 2007 but this year the MVP should be lebron. He has been amazing

Comment

Originally posted by persianbruin View Post
                  last year!!!! Dirk nowitzki
                  They gave him his mvp trophy in the office!!
                  in 2006, one rebound in game 6 by kwame (small hands) brown and the same woulda happened to steve nash
                  in 1993, Byron scotts 3 pointer was an inch too long, that year the lucky guy was charles barkley
                  ok i'LL shut up cuz i dont follow basketball like i used to in the 90s

man 80s and 90s were the good ol' days

Comment

take it from someone who has followed basketball for many years now; scoop jackson is the worst basketball writer to ever hit espn. If you want an actually KNOWLEDGEABLE and entertaining writer checkout bill simmons. He doesnt race bait like scoop does and actually understands when to use the space button on his key board.

As for the kobe mvp talk, his getting it man dont worry. Checkout the blogs on the net and the writers across the US; the major consensus is that kobe will win. Marc stein said so, Ball don't lie said so. in fact the only guy i can think off that is arguing heavily for chris paul is bill simmons.
                    The consensus in the league is that kobe is been second for too long and Chris paul is going to get many chances in the future. Its one of those cases that Kobe will win but chris paul should win.

also Jemelle hill is, if you could believe it, a worse writer than scoop. This is the same woman who had the audacity to say that kobe bryant was BETTER THAN MICHAEL JORDAN.:bs:
                    The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. ~Edward R. Murrow

Comment

Originally posted by mf_doom View Post
                      take it from someone who has followed basketball for many years now; scoop jackson is the worst basketball writer to ever hit espn. If you want an actually KNOWLEDGEABLE and entertaining writer checkout bill simmons. He doesnt race bait like scoop does and actually understands when to use the space button on his key board.
                      As for the kobe mvp talk, his getting it man dont worry. Checkout the blogs on the net and the writers across the US; the major consensus is that kobe will win. Marc stein said so, Ball don't lie said so. in fact the only guy i can think off that is arguing heavily for chris paul is bill simmons.
                      The consensus in the league is that kobe is been second for too long and Chris paul is going to get many chances in the future. Its one of those cases that Kobe will win but chris paul should win.
                      also Jemelle hill is, if you could believe it, a worse writer than scoop. This is the same woman who had the audacity to say that kobe bryant was BETTER THAN MICHAEL JORDAN.:bs:
                      bill simmons had one of the best articles I have ever seenon Kobe right afte he scored the 81 points. I think the topis was "when did it happen?"

Comment

Originally posted by mf_doom View Post
                        na aziz jaan kobe should win it cuz kbe should win it!! He doesnt need the charity. What he has done, you'll not gonna see for another generation or 2 and this is why he might not win it mathematicaly:

the people who vote Kobe 1st will most likely vote chris paul second BUT

the people who dont vote Kobe 1st they do it cuz they dont like kobe and as a result they will vote him 4th or lower so the overall score is gonna put chris paul on top and that is truly a shame..

2 years ago kobe hadthe second most # of #1 votes but overall he finished fourth!!! Why do you think that is?? it was because of what I explained above

Comment

The lakers made me sick tonight!!

They missed TWENTY SIX 3-pointers!!!! I counted AT LEAST 8 passes by Kobe that were OPEN 3-pointers for others and were missed. That is 8 assists gone right there!! God knows how many 2-point passes they missed

Comment

Working...
                          X