X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premiership Final Week Preview

kinda long but well done

It doesn't get any closer than this.

With Manchester United and Chelsea tied on points, the Premier League title will be decided Sunday on the final day of the season.

United only needs to beat Wigan on Sunday to secure its 17th English title - and 10th in the Premier League - because of its large goal difference of 17 over Chelsea.

"As long as we're controlling our destiny, I don't think we need worry too much," Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves said. "We've got 90 minutes to play and it's a great position to be in. We've had no midweek game so we've put in some good training and hopefully we will be ready for the weekend."

The Blues host Bolton, knowing that if they win - and United loses or draws - Chelsea will become English champions for the fourth time.

"It is 90 minutes of emotion. We know we need to win and hope Man United slip," Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech said. "It will be exciting for everyone, I am sure people will have pocket radios listening to the other game."

Every Premier League match will start at the same time on Sunday.

The Premier League is one of two titles being contested by United and Chelsea - they will meet in the Champions League final in Moscow on May 21.

Another Premier League triumph would edge United closer to overtaking Liverpool as the club that has won the most English titles. Liverpool, which has the record of 18, last won the English title in 1990 - and has never won the Premier League.

If United winger Ryan Giggs plays Sunday, it will be his 758th game for United - equaling Bobby Charlton's record for the most number of appearances for the club. He can also pick up his 10th Premier League winners' medal.

Chelsea won the Premier League under Jose Mourinho in 2005 and '06, and was also victorious in 1955.

Mourinho left in September and was replaced by Avram Grant, who has already surpassed his predecessor by taking Chelsea to its first European Cup final.

Bolton is pretty much safe from relegation in 16th place with 36 points, but Cech is still wary.

"We know it is going to be difficult, if they (Bolton) get beaten 20-0 they can still be relegated, so the other thing is if they lose the game they need to lose with low scores to make sure nothing happens to them - it will still be difficult," Cech said.

If Man United and Chelsea finish level on points, it will only be the sixth time that has happened in England since league soccer began in 1888. The race is already the closest since 1999, when United won the title from Arsenal by a point.

In the five previous occasions where the top two clubs have finished tied on points, the champion team has been Huddersfield in 1923, Portsmouth in 1950, Arsenal in 1953, Manchester United in 1965 and Arsenal in 1989.

At the other end of the table, Fulham, Reading and Birmingham are battling to avoid relegation.

Fulham, which has 33 points for 17th place, will be safe if it wins at Portsmouth because it has better goal difference than 18th-place Reading.

"I fear we've left it very late but the great thing is we go into the last game with a chance of success," Fulham manager Roy Hodgson said. Fulham moved out of the relegation zone for the first time this year with a 2-0 win over Birmingham last Saturday.

Reading is at last-place Derby, which has already been relegated - with the worst-ever points total in the 16-year history of the Premier League.

Reading chairman John Madejski said the pressure is on Fulham.

"We must win against Derby," Madejski said. "Whether that will be enough to avoid relegation is in the lap of the gods, but at least we'd be able to come out of it with some pride and dignity."

Birmingham, which has 32 points for 19th place, will have to rely on a win against Blackburn, and for Reading and Fulham to lose to avoid relegation.

Arsenal has already secured third place and plays at Sunderland. Liverpool, which has clinched fourth place and the final Champions League spot, is at Tottenham.

In other matches, it's: Middlesbrough vs. Manchester City; West Ham vs. Aston Villa; and Everton vs. Newcastle.

I never thought that I was gonna say this but heyy who cares:

CHELSEA FOR THE WIN! (both EPL and CL)

(only because I wanna puke on MU)

Comment

manchester's head is getting too big

i want chelsea to win

Comment

Originally posted by Agha Kasra View Post
        I never thought that I was gonna say this but heyy who cares:

CHELSEA FOR THE WIN! (both EPL and CL)

(only because I wanna puke on MU)
        Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
        manchester's head is getting too big
        i want chelsea to win
        No.

Comment

Die Chelsea Die.......... especially for Cl final

Comment

The league is already decided man, I really dont think Wigan will do squat against United.

All i want is CL, I want it bad

Comment

Originally posted by persian boy View Post
              The league is already decided man, I really dont think Wigan will do squat against United.

I want both
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by persian boy View Post

No, it wont happen only in ur dream!!

Comment

i have a feeling its gonna be a boring final

either 0-0 penalty or someone will win 1-0
                  english teams are always like that in champions league when they play each other towards the end.

Comment

1-1 and chelsea will score in extra time. No Pk's.. if it goes to PK's United will win easily. Chelsea are so bad at shootouts

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                      i have a feeling its gonna be a boring final
                      either 0-0 penalty or someone will win 1-0
                      english teams are always like that in champions league when they play each other towards the end.
                      2003 UEFA Champions League final:

AC Milan 0-0 Juventus (0-0 after extra time) - Milan win on penalties

Now THAT was a cure for insomnia
                      sigpic

Comment

come on manchester.
                        this is it.

Comment

I think Wigan can make an upset against United

But realistically, I think it can be a draw
                          I AM A BLUE FAN IN AND OUT!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arya_n View Post
                            thinking as opposed to believing huh?

nevertheless its uniteds trophy to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by arya_n View Post
                              lol way to be optimistic aryan jan, atleast some of the chelsea fans still have hope

i personally think both teams will win tomorrow which will result in united getting the title, i personally want champions league though as iv said before

Comment

Working...
                              X