Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROFLMAO! Beasley says US WILL WIN WC!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5339970

EINDHOVEN, Netherlands (AP) - The World Cup champion has come from Europe or Latin America for the past 72 years. However, American striker DaMarcus Beasley says times are changing.

"It's going to be the U.S. this time around," Beasley said of the June 9-July 9 tournament in Germany.

"The United States is capable of beating any team at the World Cup. We managed to beat bigger teams in Korea and I am sure we can do it again."

The 23-year-old PSV Eindhoven star is one of the more prominent members of a new generation of U.S. players who are graduating from Major League Soccer and joining Europe's best clubs.

He was part of the U.S. team that lost 1-0 in the quarterfinals to Germany at the 2002 World Cup in South Korea-Japan - the best U.S. performance in 72 years at the quadrennial event.

Beasley also became the first American to play in a semifinal of the Champions League - Europe's most prestigious club competition - with PSV against AC Milan last year.

Despite winning 3-1 at home, PSV lost 2-0 at the San Siro and was eliminated on away goals.

"That was the finest moment of my time here, a truly wonderful experience," Beasley said in an interview with the Associated Press. "I felt honored to play against such a strong European side."

The U.S. roster now has European-based players in every position. Such as goalkeepers Tim Howard of Manchester United and Kasey Keller of Borussia Moenchengladbach; defenders Cory Gibbs and John O'Brien at ADO The Hague; midfielder Claudio Reyna at Manchester City; and strikers Brian McBride of Fulham and Jemal Johnson of Blackburn.

The U.S. team has been drawn in one of the toughest groups - with three-time champion Italy, the No. 2-ranked Czech Republic and Ghana in Group E - and will battle to survive the first round.

Unfortunately, Beasley has also been exposed to racism, the blight of European soccer, with PSV.

"Occasionally, I have been greeted with monkey noises and that's pathetic," he said. "I didn't have much of that experience in the U.S."

The Indiana-born Beasley's first impression of Dutch life - where marijuana is sold openly in cafes - came in July 2004 when he was greeted by billboards of naked women driving in from the airport.

"That was my biggest shock," Beasley said. "I was like, is this really happening?"

Beasley has scored 10 goals in 47 games in the Dutch league, and four goals in 12 matches in the Champions League, to be a regular starter for PSV on a contract that runs to 2008.

He credits the tactics and style of PSV coach Guus Hiddink - who led South Korea to the World Cup semifinals in 2002 and will take Australia to this year's event - for the team's progress.

Defending champion PSV leads the Dutch league and plays French club Lyon in the first leg of the round of 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday.

"Hiddink is tough and never gives up," Beasley said. "He is the kind of guy who always thinks things can get better, and I like that mentality."

PSV paid $2.5 million to the MLS for Beasley to move from the Chicago Fire and replace the Chelsea-bound Arjen Robben. The American's dribbling ability and pace closely replicating Robben's skills.

But Beasley says he's looking further afield than the Eredivisie.

"Coming to PSV was a huge step in my career, and I am always ready for new challenges," Beasley said. "Obviously, I would love to play in England or Spain at some stage in my career."

Originally posted by nyc3469
    PSV paid $2.5 million to the MLS for Beasley to move from the Chicago Fire and replace the Chelsea-bound Arjen Robben. The American's dribbling ability and pace closely replicating Robben's skills.
    proof americans don't watch football
    The REAL. The LEGEND. Since 2001.

Comment

Hey they've won befor...it's more than I can say about Iran. Honestly why hate on him, did you expcet him to say yaaah we're just going because we qualified but I don't think we stand a chance. He wants to pysch himself and the team up.

Isn't Beasly the guy who got caught on camera peeing on the side lines of a football game?
      STADIO OLIMPICO, 8 FEBRUARY 2004
      A.S. ROMA 4-0 F.C. JUVENTUS

Comment

Don't sleep on the U.S. guys. Ok winning the Cup might be a bit far-fetched, but I wouldn't be shocked in the least bit if the U.S. got to the quarters again or even the semi finals.

Comment

Haha. Nice one

Comment

i dont know see whats so funny about it, theyll definately come out of there group i think even tho it is a very tough group. after that anythings possible.

Comment

I think its just a matter of ignorance now, U.S. may be a little high on the FIFA rankings but those are so faulty they shouldnt even be taken into consideration, U.S. is a very powerful team, they arent the same team in WC 98' or 02', i could see them winning a world cup within the next 3-5 tournaments
              Go Cows!

Comment

Cech and Italy are far better

USA will beat Ghana

Comment

Originally posted by Muradistan
                  Isn't Beasly the guy who got caught on camera peeing on the side lines of a football game?

no, that was donavan. He was peeing on a shrub by a practice field. Must have been a really small stub because he had to bend over it to go, if you know what i mean...

Comment

where s Ramingeles2000??
                    now you tell me which statement is more retarded.
                    My statement of believe US will only gain 1 point in their group
                    or Mar cus kh.l 's statement.
                    ABED1ZADEH -KAR8IMI -BAG6HERI Forever

Comment

USA has certainly developed into a major force in international football. They're working very hard. They're very methodical in their approach and have the money to back them up. They've also changed their player selection methods, and the league keeps growing.

Comment

Working...
                      X