Iraq suspended from internationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iraq suspended from internationals

SYDNEY, May 26 (Reuters) - Iraq faces a year in the soccer wilderness after FIFA suspended it from all international competitions on Monday and issued an ultimatum to Baghdad.

The executive board of world soccer's governing body announced it had imposed the ban after the Iraq government dissolved its National Olympic Committee and national sport federations in breach of FIFA and Olympic regulations.

The board will recommend that the FIFA Congress, which meets in Sydney on Friday, suspends Iraq from all tournaments for 12 months, but left the door open for a reprieve if Baghdad reversed its decision by 1400 GMT on Thursday.

'The FIFA Executive Committee decided to suspend the Iraqi Football Association (IFA) as of today .... following the governmental decree passed on May 20 which dissolved the Iraqi National Olympic Committee and all national sport federations, including the IFA,' FIFA said in a statement.

'The FIFA Executive Committee also decided .... the case of the Iraqi Football Association would be presented to the FIFA Congress on May 30 for suspension until the FIFA Congress in 2009, namely one year.

'However, the suspension decided upon today may be lifted if FIFA receives by May 29, midnight (Sydney time), written confirmation from the Iraqi government that the decree has been annulled.'

The chances of an agreement being reached appeared slim when Iraq Sports Minister Jasem Mohammed Jaafar said on Sunday that the government would not back down on its decision, despite the threat of a ban.

Any suspension would destroy Iraq's dream of competing at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Iraq were due to play Australia in a qualifier in Brisbane on Sunday then again in Dubai next week and if they miss those matches, Australia would be given the points.

The Iraq team were in Thailand preparing to leave for Australia when FIFA announced the decision.

Australian officials said they were also hoping for a resolution so that Sunday's World Cup match would proceed.

Any cancellation would increase Australia's chances of making it through to the next stage of qualifying but the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) would lose about A$3 million ($2.88 million) in ticket sales and sponsorship.

'Our strong hope is the matter is resolved as quickly as possible and the two teams can meet on the field,' the FFA's head of corporate and public affairs Bonita Mersiades Mersiades said.

'In the meantime the Socceroos are continuing as if it's business as usual.'

The Iraqi team provided their war-torn homeland with a rare moment of celebration in 2007 when they won the Asian Cup in one of sport's great modern fairytales.

Few people had given Iraq any chance of winning the tournament after a haphazard preparation brought about by the war at home and a hastily-assembled team that included Shi'ite, Sunni and Kurdish players.

But they defied seemingly impossible odds to reach the final in Jakarta where they beat Saudi Arabia 1-0 and Hamad said it was crucial for the people of Iraq that the team were able to play.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...539046&cc=5901

PFDC 10 Years & Counting
    We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
    For some nice Lounge & Chillout head to -->http://www.youtube.com/user/mkbf86

We went through this mess as well FIFA does not like it when government steps in and cleans house. If the Iraqi leaders are smart they will reverse their decision ASAp. It's a shame too because football is the only thing these poor civilians have left. If you take that away from them it will just be a disaster.
    I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

FIFA 'provisionally' lifts Iraq ban

Thursday, May 29, 2008

SYDNEY: Football's world governing body FIFA on Thursday "provisionally and conditionally" lifted its 12-month ban on Iraq taking part in international competition.

A FIFA spokesman said it had received correspondence from the Iraqi government saying the Iraq Football Association (IFA) was not part of a decree last week that dissolved the Iraq National Olympic Committee (NOC).

The provisional removal of the ban appeared to allow Sunday's World Cup qualifier between Australia and Iraq in Brisbane to go ahead as scheduled.

A statement released just before the FIFA Congress opening ceremony in Sydney said the ban's removal was only conditional and issues surrounding the Iraqi government's decree were yet to be clarified.
      sigpic

Comment

Well that's great news but Iraq now faces a tough challenge to qualify. In tow games they only have one point to show for it. Now things are not going to get easier in Brisbane as they face the tough socceroos. A tie on the road would be a good result for Iraq if they can follow that up with a win agaisnt the socceroos in Bagdad.

To me these Asian Cup, European Cup, South American cup, CONCAF etc these torunaments are irrelevent in my book. What good is being the chapion of Asia, if you can't even get past the first round fo world cup qualifiers? To me the only tournament that should matter is the World Cup and that's it.
        I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Glad they'll still be able to participate in next year's Confederations Cup. Looking forward to Iraq and USA being drawn into the same group .

Comment

Indeed what IRaqa did was nothing short of amazing beating the Godfather of cheaters KSA. I was so happy when Iraq beat dirty cheating Saudia Arabia. I think it's managable for Iraq to get a tie and they might do it because they know their WC qualifying dreams would end if they end up with 0 points. I'll be routing for you guys especially because Ausie fans are exetremely rude.

When we played against them in their home, their low class convict fans booed our naitonal anthem. Do us a favor and drop these convicts.

Comment

Working...
            X