No announcement yet.

2024 Summer Olympics & Paralympics Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah guess as usual all our hopes rely on wrestling and maybe something from Wrestling and/or Taekwondo. Maybe Olfati can produce a surprise but other than that I can’t see any medals from other sports

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceAli View Post
      yeah guess as usual all our hopes rely on wrestling and maybe something from Wrestling and/or Taekwondo. Maybe Olfati can produce a surprise but other than that I can’t see any medals from other sports
      Maybe a 0 medal could be a good wake up, they may not hide on wrestling this time

Comment

I still don't get this sport. You lunge at each other, yell and scream like you won, and then if the ref likes your face you get the point?

I remember watching this the last 2 Olympics and its the same crap over and over. The big teams get all the calls.

Pakdaman was the only reliable fencer today. Even in his worst set he lost by a point or two.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post

Maybe a 0 medal could be a good wake up, they may not hide on wrestling this time
          I’d be shocked if we got 0 medals from wrestling but yeah this is generally not likely to be a good Olympics for other sports.

Truly a shame. We have so much raw talent in Iran but lack the proper infrastructure to develop and fine-tune our athletes into being able to truly complete at the top

Comment

I’d be shocked if we got 0 medals from wrestling but yeah this is generally not likely to be a good Olympics for other sports.

Truly a shame. We have so much raw talent in Iran but lack the proper infrastructure to develop and fine-tune our athletes into being able to truly complete at the top
            I wonder how messy countries like Egypt can have better presence : football handball volleyball tennis table squash tennis fencing

Even if our country situation is bad, we shouldn't be that behind. I think we focus too much on football/wrestling/volleyball for average result, even if basketball handball tennis are gaining popularity it seems

Comment

it’s not just infrastructure. It’s financial and social security, societal emphasis on sport, freedom of expression (how many athletes had to compete under other flags?)… I don’t see Iran ever being relevant in sport the way countries like Japan are

Comment

Originally posted by TM4LIFE View Post

it’s not just infrastructure. It’s financial and social security, societal emphasis on sport, freedom of expression (how many athletes had to compete under other flags?)… I don’t see Iran ever being relevant in sport the way countries like Japan are
                Also we don't see much better results coming from Iranian diaspora nor iranian refugees.

Comment

Originally posted by PSGman#19 View Post

Also we don't see much better results coming from Iranian diaspora nor iranian refugees.
                  It’s hard to explain that, but purely from anecdotal experience the emphasis for Iranian immigrant children is much more on education/career ambition rather than sporting ambition.

Comment

Man, the fencing semi-final destroyed me today. 3rd Olympics in a row that we lose our deserved fencing medal, and again the refereeing was very suspicious. Olympics still owes Iran a medal in fencing.

Comment

Originally posted by _Navid_ View Post
                      Man, the fencing semi-final destroyed me today. 3rd Olympics in a row that we lose our deserved fencing medal, and again the refereeing was very suspicious. Olympics still owes Iran a medal in fencing.
                      Two. Olympics. In. A. Row.

Comment

It is a cultural thing too. Our kids are busy studying. And the sports we are doing fine in aren't olympic. If we had for example Wushu (Sanda) we would have 3-4 medals, probably gold.

If wrestling was a 10 medal sport in each category we would have, given the better state of our wrestling now, 2 golds minimum and 3-4 if we perform.

The truly scary part is that we cannot sustain success. This is an organizational issue. Look we had bulgarians teaching us weight lifting - we had a good generation, but no reproduction of champions.

Same goes for judo and tae kwon do. A few generations with champions, then no sustainability.

Given that we would have this. I mean these two above mentioned factors, we would just in martial arts and power sports have bagged 10-15 medals.

The only federation that is somewhat working in iran is the wrestling federation. Nothing else works!

The argument I just made is that yes: if we would have more money, societal development etc we would have had a greater width and depth to our olympic troop. But the argument doesn't hold regarding the UNDERPERFORMANCE this time around. If we don't get 10-15 medals then we don't have to look as far as these great structural issues that are wreaking havoc on our sports. These are all true and valid. But it doesn't account for the fact that our individual sport federations arent doing the organization and basic things right when they cant recruit athletes any more.

Comment

Regarding things like Fencing, its just a bunch of nerdy kids with god given talent and hardest workers in the room. Like we only have a sabre team. We are not even doing the other styles. Typical organisational problem. Wrestling made a great program starting in 90s with guys like Bana and Rangraz. Now we are a greco power house of sorts. We bag medals every year there even though its more competetive and harder to have consistency in greco.

IF fencing federation in iran had even one competent mother-effer in charge. We would fare good in styles like Epee etcetera too.

Comment

Originally posted by diz View Post

Two. Olympics. In. A. Row.
                            No man, also in 2016 Abedini was up 14-13 against USA in the semi-final, and they didn't give him his clear point. He ended up losing 15-14.

Comment

Originally posted by AGC View Post
                              Regarding things like Fencing, its just a bunch of nerdy kids with god given talent and hardest workers in the room. Like we only have a sabre team. We are not even doing the other styles. Typical organisational problem. Wrestling made a great program starting in 90s with guys like Bana and Rangraz. Now we are a greco power house of sorts. We bag medals every year there even though its more competetive and harder to have consistency in greco.

IF fencing federation in iran had even one competent mother-effer in charge. We would fare good in styles like Epee etcetera too.
                              About 20 years ago the head of the fencing federation spent federation money to get his kids top level fencing training - his kids then turned around and competed for Qatar!

Comment

Congratulations to Mobina Fallah who won in shoot out (tir kaman). Strong balls

Comment

Working...
                                X