Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arsalan Kazemi: First Iranian to receive U.S. hoops scholarship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsalan Kazemi: First Iranian to receive U.S. hoops scholarship?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...emi/index.html

Looks like he's quite a baller. If he impresses enough this coming season as a senior in high school, I'd love to see him get recruited and signed by UCLA. Playing for one of the nation's top basketball programs with a huge Iranian fan base couldn't be any better for him.

"Ibrahim says in addition to being pursued by Oklahoma State and Seton Hall, Kazemi has offers from Missouri, Arkansas and Rice. Cheney sees Kazemi as a high-major prospect whose recruitment has yet to really heat up -- especially given that he has yet to even showcase his game in a real, varsity environment in the States."

Good for him but that article is rubbish, what does Ahmadinjead, balistic missle tests, and enriching uranium have to do with this kid?

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
      Good for him but that article is rubbish, what does Ahmadinjead, balistic missle tests, and enriching uranium have to do with this kid?
      I thought it was an excellent article. Did you read the whole thing? There was maybe one paragraph mentioning politics in an indepth 3 page article. The point of that stuff was that his current rise in basketball is much more interesting than the political situation we hear about in the news on a daily basis.

I thought this part was very interesting, apparently he's been working out with Nick Van Exel, who was my favorite player growing up as a kid when he was on the Lakers.

"Ibrahim has taken some steps to Americanize Kazemi's basketball skill set; in his work as a travel agent, Ibrahim has counted a number of NBA players as clients, and he called upon one of them for a favor this year. That was how Kazemi's primary workout partner in Houston became Nick Van Exel.

"The first time Anthony told me we were going to work out with a real NBA player, I was so excited," Kazemi said. "[Van Exel] knows so much stuff that he can show me. We have been doing a lot of ballhandling and shooting." Van Exel has confided in Ibrahim that he thinks Kazemi, as a collegian, "can play anywhere in the country."

Comment

Originally posted by Babak View Post
        I thought this part was very interesting, apparently he's been working out with Nick Van Exel, who was my favorite player growing up as a kid when he was on the Lakers.
        He is still my favorite all time NBA player until this day.

I didnt read that part, thanks for sharing. I didnt know it was 3 pages I stopped reading after the politics that were mentioned, thanks though

Comment

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...emi/index.html
          Looks like he's quite a baller. If he impresses enough this coming season as a senior in high school, I'd love to see him get recruited and signed by UCLA. Playing for one of the nation's top basketball programs with a huge Iranian fan base couldn't be any better for him.
          "Ibrahim says in addition to being pursued by Oklahoma State and Seton Hall, Kazemi has offers from Missouri, Arkansas and Rice. Cheney sees Kazemi as a high-major prospect whose recruitment has yet to really heat up -- especially given that he has yet to even showcase his game in a real, varsity environment in the States."
          By first Iranian I think they mean someone who doesnt have dual citizenship, because back in the 90's there was this guy name ramin something who played for SMC a couple of years and then got a scholarship and played for USC
          ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
          Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
          Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
          midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
          forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
          Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
            He is still my favorite all time NBA player until this day.
            I didnt read that part, thanks for sharing. I didnt know it was 3 pages I stopped reading after the politics that were mentioned, thanks though
            when then that means you watched NBA only part time since van excel only showed up part time!!
            midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
            Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

i hope he doesnt go to the big 12 lol

the iran senior team should let him run with them...i dont think theyve won a game since qualifying it cant hurt

tough decision for him about the visa...i feel for him

i wish him the very best of luck and obviously hope to see him in the nba...if he plays for a DIV 1 school ill be sure to catch a couple of his games

Comment

Originally posted by nypimpofpersia34 View Post
                i hope he doesnt go to the big 12 lol
                the iran senior team should let him run with them...i dont think theyve won a game since qualifying it cant hurt
                tough decision for him about the visa...i feel for him
                i wish him the very best of luck and obviously hope to see him in the nba...if he plays for a DIV 1 school ill be sure to catch a couple of his games
                Its not that hard to get into div 1. I mean have you seen how many schools are out there????? THis is why in college bball they value final 4 so much unlike other sports where you have to be the champion

Comment

Originally posted by persianbruin View Post
                  Its not that hard to get into div 1. I mean have you seen how many schools are out there????? THis is why in college bball they value final 4 so much unlike other sports where you have to be the champion
                  full scholarship to a d 1 school in basketball is VERY hard

Comment

Originally posted by nypimpofpersia34 View Post
                    full scholarship to a d 1 school in basketball is VERY hard
                    not if you are good! 12 players times 200 teams

Comment

not if you are good! 12 players times 200 teams
                      But realistically, a max of 3-4 out of those 12 will receive a full scholarship like this guy has already been offered by several fairly big name programs.

Comment

But realistically, a max of 3-4 out of those 12 will receive a full scholarship like this guy has already been offered by several fairly big name programs.
                        all 12 players get full scholarship babak not just 3-4!!!

Comment

all 12 players get full scholarship babak not just 3-4!!!
                          You're right, apparently each college men's basketball team can have 13 scholarships. I guess I was confused by some of the walk-on scrubs that UCLA has had the past few years lol.

Comment

awesome news!

i wish him luck

Comment

Working...
                            X