Sporting gesture: Iranian, Israeli share hug after basketball game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sporting gesture: Iranian, Israeli share hug after basketball game

BEIJING -- Despite the differences between their countries, an Iranian and an Israeli shared a hug and a pat on the back Sunday morning after the opener of the Olympic men's basketball tournament.

Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi and David Blatt share a moment of goodwill after the Blatt-coached Russian team beat Iran in the opening game.

The hug between Russian coach David Blatt, who holds dual Israeli and American citizenship, and Iranian captain Mohammed Nikkhah, came after Nikkhah was questioned by an Israeli journalist about the tensions between the two countries stemming from Iran's nuclear program, which Israel views as a threat to its existence.

On Saturday, an Iranian swimmer refused to race in a preliminary Olympic heat because an Israeli athlete was competing in the same race.

"We are coming here for playing sport, nothing else," Nikkhah said. As he exited the postgame interview podium, Blatt stood and embraced him, and Nikkhah returned the gesture.

Blatt and Iran's coach, Rajko Toroman, who is Serbian, had a similar exchange as Toroman left the podium. Blatt later warmly greeted Iran's 7-foot-2 center Hamed Ehadadi.

Russia got 19 points and five steals from American expatriate J.R. Holden and 15 points and three blocks from Andrei ***ilenko, pulling away in the fourth quarter for a 71-49 victory over Iran in a game that tipped off at 9 a.m. local time.

Viktor Khryapa of Russia, who was held out of his team's tuneup games due to an ankle injury, played 20 minutes and shot 4-for-5, re-entering the game midway through the third quarter and leading the charge as Russia closed the game with a 25-13 run.

"People don't know how badly he's injured. He has a torn ligament, and he opted to play rather than have surgery," Blatt said. "He's about 60 percent -- and 40 percent is physical and 20 percent is heart."

Chris Sheridan is an ESPN.com Insider. He has covered the U.S. senior national team since the 1996 Olympics. To e-mail Chris, click here.
    Last edited by persianbruin; 09-30-2008, 09:12 PM.
    ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
    Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
    Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
    midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
    forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
    Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

wow

Comment

damn I hope he is not banned by IR.

Comment

he is dead lol.

One of the Greatest Legends Iran Football Ever Saw!
        Team Melli: 1993-2010, Thank You Karim Bagheri.

18 titles, five European Cups - is Chelsea a bigger club?

Comment

he was hugging David Blatt, the Russian Coach, not David Blatt the Israeli citizen.

Comment

fuvk IR and Israel!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alihos93 View Post
              he is dead lol.
              Yea, It's funny.
              I Peed myself from laughing so hard.

Comment

lol,i dont think they knew he was israeili

Comment

RIP Nikhaad

Comment

Hmmm......lets see how the I.R. responds to this

Comment

He will get sick or injured now.

Comment

Dead man walking....

WELL DONE TO HAMED

This is what I like to see...the true spirit of the Olympics

Comment

probably will get sniped but neway i hope more iranians follow him. alle iran!!
                          Please watch and Subscribe:

Comment

he was hugging David Blatt, the Russian Coach, not David Blatt the Israeli citizen.
                            my initial thought
                            ----1990 TM, You will always have a special place in our hearts
                            Goalie-----------abedzadeh----------
                            Defense----hassanzadeh-----zarincheh-------moharami----
                            midfield---namjoo motlagh---shahrokh bayani---cyrus ghayeghran---eftekhari---Abtahi
                            forward-----pius-----marfavi-----

"Iranians are fiercely nationalistic", Michael Rubin, an Iran expert at the American Enterprise Institute
                            Sports doesn't build character. It reveals it - Legendary UCLA coach, John R Wooden

Comment

Ooooh big deal, an Iranian hugged an Israeli.
                              I lost my virginity to an Israeli girl.

"I'd take Dostoevsky out to dinner; I'd leave Rand a fake number"

Comment

Working...
                              X