Olympics is biased in favor of the West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympics is biased in favor of the West

Why do some sports in the Olympics have so many different variations with the same athletes repeatedly getting the same medals?

Like swimming, rowing, and running where there are like 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, team relay, etc. etc. If you notice it's always the same athletes winning the medals for these events so you have someone like Michael Phelps of USA winning 4-7 gold medals for practically the same sport.

I also noticed that the sports that are like this are the sports where the US (and the West in general) leads the world in the number of medals. Is this just a coincidence?

I mean why can't we have the same variations for other sports like freestyle wrestling of 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, team wrestling, etc? So Iran can bring in 20 medals instead of the usual 4-6?

The way the Olympics is set up right now, it's heavily biased toward countries that are better in certain sports like swimming, rowing, and running (i.e. western countries). They can correct it by disallowing the same athlete to compete in the different variations of the same sport.

Also there are some really specialized and uncommon sports that are practically variations of other sports dominated by the West like Trampoline (Another version of Gymnastics), Rhythmic Gymnastics (Another version of Gymnastics), Modern Pentathlon, Baseball, Softball (Another Baseball), etc. And yet there is no Futsal (More popular than all of those other sports combined) but dominated by non-western countries.

Thoughts?
    sigpic

Good points you make. Don't forget Women sports too. I'm not saying they shoulnd't be in the Olympics, but Women sports and medals are usually won by the West too. In other countires, Women's sports and not as nearly as emphasized as they are in the West. The rest of the world lacks resources, funds, commitment, and enthuasiasm in the Women's field

Comment

Originally posted by KasraKhan View Post
      Good points you make. Don't forget Women sports too. I'm not saying they shoulnd't be in the Olympics, but Women sports and medals are usually won by the West too. In other countires, Women's sports and not as nearly as emphasized as they are in the West. The rest of the world lacks resources, funds, commitment, and enthuasiasm in the Women's field
      I don't have a problem with women sports. You're right in that western countries allow women greater freedom, resources, etc. to excel athletically, but that shouldn't be a reason to ban all women altogether.

Also besides the lack of resources, funds, etc, there's the cultural factor (i.e. Islamic countries not allowing women to play) but that's more like our cultural problem than a fault with the Olympics.
      sigpic

Comment

You're right. While sports like squash (perfectly legitimate sport played in many countries), which would likely be dominated by Egypt and possibly Pakistan, isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh View Post
          You're right. While sports like squash (perfectly legitimate sport played in many countries), which would likely be dominated by Egypt and possibly Pakistan, isn't there.
          If Squash had been an Olympic sport from the 1970s onwards, it would have been won all the time by either of the two King Khans of Pakistan: Jahangir Khan and Jansher Khan
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh View Post
            Squash, Rugby, Cricket, Futsal to name a few
            sigpic

Comment

not true. i think what you mean is that olympics is biased towards more powerful countries.
              technically guatemala is also the "west" and so is belgium, but they haven't won anything.
              olympics is biased towards usa, china, russia, japan, australia, etc.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kapenak View Post
                not true. i think what you mean is that olympics is biased towards more powerful countries.
                technically guatemala is also the "west" and so is belgium, but they haven't won anything.
                olympics is biased towards usa, china, russia, japan, australia, etc.
                West as in US, Canada, Australia and western Europe not the Western Hemisphere.

Come on man, did I have to say that?

Also it's not biased based on power. If you had read my post carefully you'd understand my points better. If you were to reverse the way the games are setup so that sports that are not dominated by the West had multiple variations and sports that were western dominated did not you'd see a MUCH different final standing. Iran would practically have 3-5 times the number of medals while the number of medals for US, Australia, and western european countries would be reduced significantly.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Karshenas View Post
                  I don't have a problem with women sports. You're right in that western countries allow women greater freedom, resources, etc. to excel athletically, but that shouldn't be a reason to ban all women altogether.
                  Also besides the lack of resources, funds, etc, there's the cultural factor (i.e. Islamic countries not allowing women to play) but that's more like our cultural problem than a fault with the Olympics.
                  I never said ban them!! I'm perfectly fine with Women competing, its their inalienable right.

But as you said, its the culutural, religious, and resource factor that play a huge role in the West's dominance in Women sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Karshenas View Post
                    West as in US, Canada, Australia and western Europe not the Western Hemisphere.
                    Come on man, did I have to say that?
                    Lol he is picking hairs!

Comment

how the heck is australia west? i understand your point. but you didn't put your thoughts in the right words. i guess china is west too now?? the countries that win the most medals are usually the countries with the most power (us, russia, china, etc.)
                      sigpic

Comment

how the heck is australia west? i understand your point. but you didn't put your thoughts in the right words. i guess china is west too now?? the countries that win the most medals are usually the countries with the most power (us, russia, china, etc.)
                        OK whatever you say
                        sigpic

Comment

Don't think of West in this sense in geographical terms, but rather political and ideological.

West = Western Europe, USA, Canada, Australia

East = Everything else

Comment

swimming is bullshit sport anyway... compare it to a non-recognised olympic sport such as karate, and you'll know what i mean.

Comment

Well you are correct but there is nothing that really can be done. For example in the track events, the 100 M and 2500 M require totally different preparation techniques.

Comment

Working...
                              X