So Where Dose The Blame Lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Where Dose The Blame Lie?

I know the oylmpics havn't finished yet but its been a truely awfull olympics for Iran in every aspect so far. So where dose the blame lie?

Dose the Blame lie on the athletes? underperforming,underachieving and not taking advantage of the moment.

Dose the Blame lie on the goverment? our goverment hasn't helped, not promoting sports in our country investing in Mosques etc. instead of sports facilities which means we have to rely alot on our older athletes who are past there best. Having said that we have a few good young female athletes coming through.

Or maybe the Blame lies on the fact that our athletes just aren't good enough to compete at olympic level, our flag holder was knocked out at the first hurdel in the rowing.

Or maybe the blame lies on the pressure our athletes were under after our Talisman superwieght wieghtlifter said that he would not be able to compete increasing the pressure on the athletes to bring home the medals to compensate.

Dose the blame lie on a whole combination of the things listed above?

I know this thread mite sound a lil stupid when read and some of you will most likely disagree with a number of things listed above and i completely understand.
    Please watch and Subscribe:

I think were just not good enough, at the moment! Partly to do with facilities! but alot of these athlete who win medals are naturaly good at what they do! in Iran sport is begining to be promoted, look at the rowing for instance, they just brought all the rowers in Iran and within a year or we have a competer.

We tend to win medals in weightlifing and wrestling because our athletes have always been good at these and the fascilities and experience is there.

Im optimistic, slowly we are getting more athletes in a more variety of sports! and with more people couple of them should get medals.

Comment

Originally posted by mayhem View Post
      slowly we are getting more athletes in a more variety of sports!
      we have always had althetes in wrestling and weightlifting.. but it is not exactly true that we are getting more athletes in more "variety" of sports

in 1976, we had 6 athletes in track and field, 6 in boxing, 4 in road cycling, 2 in track cycling, 9 men in individual fencing, and mens team epee, mens team foil, and mens team sabre, 3 in women fencing, and womens team foil, soccer team qualified, 4 in shooting, waterpolo qualifed

in 1988 one man ran the marathon, 4 in road cycling, 2 in track cycling, 4 in taekwondo

1992, 2 in track and field, 6 in boxing, 4 in road cycling, 3 in track cycling, 1 in table tennis, 3 in taekwondo

.. you guys get the point, but in 2000 we had 2 athletes in kayak, and one in equestrian, 1 in table tennis

anyways what im trying to say is that although we have a basketball team for the first time, and our athletes are very competitive in some sports, i think its wrong to say that we are getting more athletes in more sports

We have had table tennis, track cycling, equestrian, canoe/kayak, waterpolo, many track and field events, fencing, and soccer in past olympics, but none of those sports are represented by an iranian in these olympics, and the sports that are like shooting or boxing do not have many athletes in them

its not like we have had a huge jump in the last 30 years.. if anything it has stayed very much the same.. about 30-60 athletes and about 3-7 medals every olympics

Comment

i didnt know the history, but from what I remember and thats from like 1996 onwards is that we are getting more athletes in more sports.

and these sports are getting more exposure!

Comment

do u know why we dont win in olympics because iranians dont do drugs or as much as the othe countries

come on seriously do u guys really think that these olympics really show whose is good at what sport, all of these guys do drugs, plus olympics is biased towards the west just look
          if phelps wins the 400 m why cant he win the 50m 100m 200m relay
          and its the same thin with rowing, if they want the olympics to have any meaning they should cut alot of events

there are only a few sports that are not affected by doping in the olympics, and they are the team sports and the 10000m marathon
          I got no time for a signiture

Comment

I think its due to a lot of factors combining but at the end of the day personal skill is the main thing and obviously Iranian athletes are not as skilled as we think they are. There are many medals won from countries which have much less investing in sports as Iran does so blaming IRI in this case doesnt help much I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Payam_Ali View Post
              we have always had althetes in wrestling and weightlifting.. but it is not exactly true that we are getting more athletes in more "variety" of sports
              in 1976, we had 6 athletes in track and field, 6 in boxing, 4 in road cycling, 2 in track cycling, 9 men in individual fencing, and mens team epee, mens team foil, and mens team sabre, 3 in women fencing, and womens team foil, soccer team qualified, 4 in shooting, waterpolo qualifed
              in 1988 one man ran the marathon, 4 in road cycling, 2 in track cycling, 4 in taekwondo
              1992, 2 in track and field, 6 in boxing, 4 in road cycling, 3 in track cycling, 1 in table tennis, 3 in taekwondo
              .. you guys get the point, but in 2000 we had 2 athletes in kayak, and one in equestrian, 1 in table tennis
              anyways what im trying to say is that although we have a basketball team for the first time, and our athletes are very competitive in some sports, i think its wrong to say that we are getting more athletes in more sports
              We have had table tennis, track cycling, equestrian, canoe/kayak, waterpolo, many track and field events, fencing, and soccer in past olympics, but none of those sports are represented by an iranian in these olympics, and the sports that are like shooting or boxing do not have many athletes in them
              its not like we have had a huge jump in the last 30 years.. if anything it has stayed very much the same.. about 30-60 athletes and about 3-7 medals every olympics
              we had an athlete in the equestrian?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Ali Daei View Post
                we had an athlete in the equestrian?
                you know what it is?

ستايشگر آموزگاری هستم که انديشيدن را
                به من بياموزد و نه انديشه ها را. زرتشت

Comment

horse riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Ali Daei View Post
                    I know the oylmpics havn't finished yet but its been a truely awfull olympics for Iran in every aspect so far. So where dose the blame lie?
                    Dose the Blame lie on the athletes? underperforming,underachieving and not taking advantage of the moment.
                    Dose the Blame lie on the goverment? our goverment hasn't helped, not promoting sports in our country investing in Mosques etc. instead of sports facilities which means we have to rely alot on our older athletes who are past there best. Having said that we have a few good young female athletes coming through.
                    Or maybe the Blame lies on the fact that our athletes just aren't good enough to compete at olympic level, our flag holder was knocked out at the first hurdel in the rowing.
                    Or maybe the blame lies on the pressure our athletes were under after our Talisman superwieght wieghtlifter said that he would not be able to compete increasing the pressure on the athletes to bring home the medals to compensate.
                    Dose the blame lie on a whole combination of the things listed above?
                    I know this thread mite sound a lil stupid when read and some of you will most likely disagree with a number of things listed above and i completely understand.
                    What has been happening is a true national tragedy. We ought to be deeply ashamed. At the heart of this failure lies the Iranians' cultural inferiority and gross mismanagement and lack of planning.
                    sigpic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...he_Asian_Games

Comment

Well, even many "advanced" or "second world" countries aren't doing well in the Olympics. Argentina only has one medal. Not sure if Canada has medalled yet. Gigantic India has only 1 medal. In our region Egypt and Turkey only have one medal each.

But speaking for the countries in the Middle East with the talent to win medals, I think the problem is our mentality when it comes to sports. By that I mean the way we treat our athletes and sports in general. I don't know about Iran, but in Egypt, if you tell your parents you want to be a professional athlete, you'll be roasted. Very few families are open-minded enough to support such a dream 100%. Instead, they look down upon it and tell you to stop wasting your time and go study. And then the talents we do have that actually make it to the top of their sport aren't given the adequate support (money to train and live, facilities, etc.). For instance one of the boxers that medaled for Egypt last year did all his training out of pocket, and he's a shoe-shiner . Another of our Olympic boxers is a security guard. And one wrestler a taxi driver. Without the ability to concentrate on their trade and train full time, our talents go to waste and underachieve vis a vis the developed world. Really disheartening.

Comment

STEROIDS and unreasonable procedures setup by the govt to how athletes can practice and preform

I promise you these two reasons are the only two reasons why we aren't winning gold or even any medals right now

PFDC 10 Years & Counting
                        We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
                        For some nice Lounge & Chillout head to -->http://www.youtube.com/user/mkbf86

Comment

Originally posted by mkbf2 View Post
                          STEROIDS and unreasonable procedures setup by the govt to how athletes can practice and preform
                          I promise you these two reasons are the only two reasons why we aren't winning gold or even any medals right now

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh View Post
                            Well, even many "advanced" or "second world" countries aren't doing well in the Olympics. Argentina only has one medal. Not sure if Canada has medalled yet. Gigantic India has only 1 medal. In our region Egypt and Turkey only have one medal each.

But speaking for the countries in the Middle East with the talent to win medals, I think the problem is our mentality when it comes to sports. By that I mean the way we treat our athletes and sports in general. I don't know about Iran, but in Egypt, if you tell your parents you want to be a professional athlete, you'll be roasted. Very few families are open-minded enough to support such a dream 100%. Instead, they look down upon it and tell you to stop wasting your time and go study. And then the talents we do have that actually make it to the top of their sport aren't given the adequate support (money to train and live, facilities, etc.). For instance one of the boxers that medaled for Egypt last year did all his training out of pocket, and he's a shoe-shiner . Another of our Olympic boxers is a security guard. And one wrestler a taxi driver. Without the ability to concentrate on their trade and train full time, our talents go to waste and underachieve vis a vis the developed world. Really disheartening.
                            well, atleast egypt, turkey, azarbaijan or armenia got some medals, iran got nothing. bronze is still better than nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X