Ottawa MLS bid receives $100m boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ottawa MLS bid receives $100m boost

OTTAWA -- Eugene Melnyk, the owner of the National Hockey League's Ottawa Senators, unveiled plans Tuesday to build a $100-million soccer stadium near the home rink of his hockey team.

Melnyk is bidding for a $40-million Major League Soccer franchise for the 2011 season and wants to build a soccer-specific stadium on 12 hectares near Scotiabank Place.

The Whitecaps are ahead of the Ottawa group for soccer history and knowledge, but many cite the lack of an appropriate soccer-specific stadium as the weakness in Vancouver's bid."It happened in Toronto, it happened in Montreal, and it's happening in Ottawa -- and we've been at it for four years," Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said of stadium construction.

"But I'm excited for the plans for B.C. Place. All the things they are prepared to look at [for the renovations] will make it an exciting place to watch soccer."

The Whitecaps have a lease in place to play out of B.C. Place starting in 2011, and they continue to negotiate with the Port Authority over plans for a waterfront stadium.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!

Not bad. But they seriously need to improve the tactical and technical aspects of the football there. Most of the times the build-up play, passing, and defending is absolutely atrocious.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Suprah View Post
      Not bad. But they seriously need to improve the tactical and technical aspects of the football there. Most of the times the build-up play, passing, and defending is absolutely atrocious.
      the only way canada will ever become something in soccer is from the immigrants

Comment

Originally posted by Parham10 View Post
        the only way canada will ever become something in soccer is from the immigrants
        Same with the US&A
        sigpic

Comment

I hate the way the soccer system is in Canada right now, in my University, for example, the emphasis is around big bulky, tall players. There are a lot of talented players here, but because the system rejects them they don't even bother trying to develop here. If there are serious players, they wouldn't immigrate to this country in the first place, they would just stay or move to Europe.

take Owen Hargreaves for example (Bayern/Man Utd/England), he was born in Calgary but quickly moved to England to develop. Same with a lot of other players like Guzman (Deportivo).
          The Worker-communist Party of Iran (WPI)
          For the struggle in Iran: "In retrospect, all revolutions seem inevitable. Beforehand, all revolutions seem impossible.
          http://iransolidarity.blogspot.com/
          http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...id=96192296995
          http://worker-communistpartyofiran.blogspot.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/WPITV

Comment

**** you niggas , we is getting a team!

I am going to try out for them.

Comment

doesn't canada have their own league?!!

Comment

Originally posted by futbol>>>IRAN View Post
                doesn't canada have their own league?!!
                the highest league that a canadian team plays for is toronto FC with the MLS.

good to see soccer expanding in canada.

Comment

well i think it would be a success, and ottawa seems like a solid pick in the long run..teams like toronto fc are doing very well and i dont think it will only be temporary (1st, 2nd year hype)

id rather see ottawa have an mls team than some hick city lol , kinda like the atlanta thrashers..no1 likes hockey there lol
                  Go Cows!

Comment

Originally posted by Demis-11 View Post
                    well i think it would be a success, and ottawa seems like a solid pick in the long run..teams like toronto fc are doing very well and i dont think it will only be temporary (1st, 2nd year hype)
                    id rather see ottawa have an mls team than some hick city lol , kinda like the atlanta thrashers..no1 likes hockey there lol
                    The problem is the location.

The stadium is going to be in the west end. In middle of the suburbs. Nobody is going to watch it from that area. That area is known for Basketball and Hockey.

they need to move this stadium to an area with more immigrants then they will have a nice flow of crowd.

Comment

Working...
                    X