Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iran and cricket

IRAN'S GREEN REVOLUTION

ACC Development Manager Bandula Warnapura between two Iranian Federation officials at Thakti

Two new cricket grounds are being built in Iran by the country's Baseball-Cricket Federation. The first ground is at Thakti and will have an artificial wicket while the second at ***aj, will be a multi-purpose ground for baseball and cricket.

"Things are shaping up nicely in Iran at the moment. The Federation is gratified by the interest shown in them by the ACC and keen to show themselves worthy of ACC activity," says Development Officer for Iran Iqbal Sikander.

Iran's Olympic Association is keen to field eight teams in their next domestic Olympiad and are seeking ACC support to do so.

Development Manager Bandula Warnapura who was in Tehran with Iqbal reports that "there is a lot of potential in Iran even though football is the number 1 sport. The interesting thing is how much activity there is on the women's side of things.'

Thakti is expected to be in use during the current playing season with ***aj pushing hard for early completion.
    'I couldn't doubt that I was meant to pursue a great destiny'
    ~
    Cyrus the Great
    King of Kings, King of the World

IRAN'S WOMEN ADVANCE

ACC Women's Committee Member and Pakistan Cricket Board Women's Cricket Manager Shamsa Hashmi completed a 16-day assignment in Iran last month. "I was thrilled to see the enthusiasm among the young girls. They were all very motivated and keen to learn the game," says Ms. Hashmi.

An Iranian Level I-qualified lady coach Mujdeh Bavendpour assisted Ms. Hashmi throughout, as the 30 women (U-19 and seniors) were put through a comprehensive training plan specially designed for them.

Each day was divided into morning and evening sessions: fitness and fielding, skill development and net matrix. Classroom sessions were slotted in amidst the field work. The fortnight ended with a hard-fought and passionately supported 20-over match.

"We have never worked so hard in our life," said one of the participants afterwards, "our knowledge of the game increased 1000% and with the strength and conditioning program given to us we are so much better."

"I have found the girls as quick learners not only of what was being taught to them but also by watching others doing the same drills," says Ms. Hashmi. "They were able to make quick adjustments. As far as the physical fitness was concerned I found them very athletic with good fitness standards."

"I have every reason to believe that if these young girls are provided with regular training, practice areas, parental support and encouragement from sponsors, they will definitely become a very good team," concluded Ms. Hashmi.

Iran will be competing in the ACC U-19 Women's Championship in December.
    'I couldn't doubt that I was meant to pursue a great destiny'
    ~
    Cyrus the Great
    King of Kings, King of the World

Comment

iran has a cricket team??

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

we shouldn't have a cricket team...cricket is just for the gay and the brown

Comment

we shouldn't have a cricket team...cricket is just for the gay and the brown
          i bet suprah has something to say about that...wait nevermind he's banned

Comment

Thats great to see. I enjoy a bit of good old cricket. 20-20 is awesome to watch!!

Pakistan is my fav cricket team though...Wasim Akram...Imran Khan...Waqar Younis....Aaqib Javed....Javed Miandad....Mushtaq Ahmed...Saqlain Mushtaq....Inzi Ul-Haq.....

SUPRAH!!?!! Where are you?!!! haha

Comment

lool why is suprah penchot banned

go cricket

Comment

i hate cricket AND baseball

Comment

sweet, i'll play on iran's baseball team, give me a call up

btw why is suprah banned?
                  Bookmark the PFDC Calendar for TM & WCQ games
                  http://sites.google.com/site/pfdccalendar/
                  [Click on a game to see detailed description including time]

Comment

not a big cricket fan at all...baseball is sweet...good news for iran none the less
                    Go Cows!

Comment

I think I can join the crikcet NT.

GRACIAS PEP

Comment

Thanks, Yavar. Interesting news. It's good there's another sport developing for young people in Iran to partake in. Even better, girls can get involved, too.

If Suprah's banned, I need to find the person who made that decision.
                        "More jazz than Hornacek"

Comment

Originally posted by Rostam View Post
                          Thanks, Yavar. Interesting news. It's good there's another sport developing for young people in Iran to partake in. Even better, girls can get involved, too.

If Suprah's banned, I need to find the person who made that decision.

khodeto khaste nakon

Comment

Oh I hate Cricket.
                            crappy life long game, they start playing at morning it gets over at night.
                            sigpic
                            WE NEVER FORGET

Comment

lol suprah's banned?!

so many members hav gotten banned latley

i can join iran's criket team because i've played 2 or 3 times with g0happy
                              I got no time for a signiture

Comment

Working...
                              X