Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most underrated manager in football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is the most underrated manager in football?

Rafael Benitez (Liverpool): Doesn't get the publicity of an Alex Furgeson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, Felipe Scolari despite his Champions League exploits with Liverpool, two La Liga crowns and a UEFA Cup title at Valencia.

Hassan Shehata (Egypt): Not known to much of the football world, he guided a largely home-based squad to two successive Africa Cup of Nations titles in 2006 and 2008. Coached 4 different clubs to promotion from division 2 to division 1 football in Egypt in the span of 6 years, won an African Youth Championship, an Egyptian Cup, and a Super Cup with freshly promoted Moqaweleen.

Raymond Domenech (France): Widely ridiculed and criticized despite overseeing a French squad that made it all the way to the final of the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

Fatih Terim (Turkey): Seldom mentioned with the world's better managers, he guided Turkey through a fantastic run at Euro 2008. Terim won the Turkish league four times in a row with Galatasaraay, capped off by winning the 2000 UEFA Cup.

Frank Rijkaard: Had one bad season at Spart Rotterdam, but on either side of that he guided his home country to the semifinals of Euro 2000, and led Barcelona to two La Liga and Spanish Supercup titles and a UEFA Champions League crown.

Someone else?

Which of these managers is the most underrated and why? Which of them actually deserves either the criticism or lack of publicity?

raymond domenech is a horrible coach, you can just tell he cannot motivate his players, makes some stupid decisions and like most french managers..is a snob lol he may not be as bad as jacques santini...but hey!!

i say Henk Ten Cate is kinda under the radar..after losing the first 2 games in the CL this season he sprung back and led Panatha to first place, hes not underrated...but hes doing a good job

Bilic on croatia is an underrated coach, he doesnt fold under pressure and seems to be very close with the squad
    Go Cows!

Comment

Ferguson's been here LONGER than any of his rivals combined so its understandable.

But make no mistake, Benitez is a great manager and he is definitely not under rated. To be noticed you have to be quite vocal and defiant and persistently rubbing the opponents noses.

I would say someone like David Moyes, Joe Kinnear, Manuel Pellegrini, are under rated managers.
      sigpic

Comment

ferguson

edit: nvm i thought it was overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Aryan View Post
          ferguson

oh NO you DIDNT
          Go Cows!

Comment

ferguson

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I disagree with Domenech. He made really stupid decisions for France in the Euro. 1) Not inviting Trezeguet 2) Continuosly using 2 D-Mids even though it showed that they were playing terrible like that. 3) Making stupid substitutions, particularly in the Italy game. and Overall he had no control of his team

I believe the sole reason they made the 2006 world cup final was ZIDANE. Now he was a true captain

and for Overrated im gonna say my own team's manager, Scolari. With the team we have we should be destroying most teams weekly instead of drawing teams like West Ham and Everton
            Last edited by persian boy; 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

bernd schuster
              he was a amazing coach won the league in his first season. but because of a couple of injuries he couldnt win so they kicked him out.
              his not as bad as some people think
              I got no time for a signiture

Comment

ferguson

sigpic

Comment

avram grant....i always thought u rly didnt need 2 do anything with a team like chelsea and u could win ur way up but seeing chelsea now with scolari i can now appreciate what grant did even as a united fan , he toke the team from 7th and challenges united till the last day of the league after the mess jose mourinho left the team with and he also toke the team 2 CL final..and then he got sacked

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pouya View Post
                    avram grant....i always thought u rly didnt need 2 do anything with a team like chelsea and u could win ur way up but seeing chelsea now with scolari i can now appreciate what grant did even as a united fan , he toke the team from 7th and challenges united till the last day of the league after the mess jose mourinho left the team with and he also toke the team 2 CL final..and then he got sacked
                    Have to agree.

Avram Grant was under-rated, unappreciated, and quite frankly unfancied by the Chelsea board and Abramovich despite what he did in his one season.

He did a better job at Chelsea in one season than Scolari has ever done in his entire career.

Lets be honest, Scolari only won the 2002 World Cup with Brazil - a team that had already won FOUR such titles in the past and was in their 3rd successive final as well - but he did fvck all at Portugal. He lost to Greece in Euro 2004, wasnt good enough for Zidane's France in 2006 WC, and then messed up bad in Euro 2008 by becoming distracted by Chelsea poorly timed offer.

When it comes to being over-rated, Luis Felipe Scolari is king.
                    sigpic

Comment

ferguson

btw ur lame attempt of a joke failed, just like ur team u should stick to nursery rhymes.

Comment

btw ur lame attempt of a joke failed, just like ur team u should stick to nursery rhymes.
                        wtf

i wasnt making a joke

your a retard pouya

Comment

I have to also agree with you mate.
                          The only reason he got sacked was coz Chelsea didn't win a trophy at all last season. But to come Runners-up (and onto the last day of the season) and to come Runners-up in the CL is very good especially for a manager who was with them for just half a season.

Man Utd =
                          Current EPL Champions
                          Current European Champions
                          Current World Champions

GLORY GLORY MAN UTD!!

Comment

I included managers that have actually won some sort of silverware. Avram Grant, IMO, was not even qualified to be a Premiership manager, let alone Chelsea's. What has he ever won (or even qualified to) as manager of Israel?

I didn't include him, but Martin O'Neill anyone?

Comment

del bosque

4 years with madrid:

2 ligas
                              2 champions leagues (went to at least semis every year)
                              1 spanish supercup
                              1 uefa supercup
                              1 intercontinental cup

he didnt go 1 season without winning the liga or champs league

Comment

Working...
                              X