Ozil picks Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ozil picks Germany

FRANKFURT (AP) - Werder Bremen midfielder Mehmut Oezil has been included in the Germany squad for the friendly match against Norway next week.

Oezil, who could also have played for Turkey, was one of the 21 players called up by coach Joachim Loew. If Oezil plays against Norway he will forfeit the right to represent Turkey. Oezil has already played for Germany's Under-21 team.

"I am pleased about my invitation and I will seek my chance with the German team," Oezil was quoted as saying by the German football federation. "I know that it is the right choice."

"It was not an easy decision since my family and many friends come from Turkey. It's also not a decision against my Turkish roots," said Oezil, noting that he is a third-generation Turk in Germany.

Loew said Oezil had told him last week that he wanted to play for Germany.

"It was then clear that we would invite him for the game against Norway. With him, we have another candidate with perspective in the midfield," Loew said.

The Turkish national side were also keen on Oezil.

"That's why we waited until he had made his decision on wanting to play for Germany," Loew added.

Another newcomer was defender Andreas Beck from the Bundesliga's surprise leader Hoffenheim.

Goalkeeper Robert Enke of Hannover, who is playing again after breaking his hand, was omitted despite being the chosen successor of Jens Lehmann as first-choice keeper after the European Championship.

Bayern Munich striker Lukas Podolski, who has resumed training after three months out because of a back problem, was also left out.

Loew said Wednesday's game in Duesseldorf was too soon for both Enke and Podolski.

Captain Michael Ballack and midfielder Torsten Frings, who had a public row with Loew, were back in the squad. Ballack and Frings both missed Germany's last game, a 2-1 loss to England in November. Ballack was ruled not fit enough after an injury and Frings was left out by mutual agreement.

The captain had criticized Loew for leaving Frings on the bench for two World Cup qualifiers. Both players later apologized and Loew had said they would return to the team.

why???????? no german in you!!!! i hope him and dejagah get along good.

Comment

im not very surprised
      Go Cows!

Comment

screw germany stealing all these stars

Comment

he's German....he made the right choice i guess

it was the German's training and their investments that made him a good player

Comment

germany has become unicef
            Bookmark the PFDC Calendar for TM & WCQ games
            http://sites.google.com/site/pfdccalendar/
            [Click on a game to see detailed description including time]

Comment

Lol at all those people talking about "stealing".

Germany is an immigration country, get used to it.
              One third of all kids born in Germany last year had at least one non-German parent.

This is the reality and it's about time the national team reflects this reality.

Germany is their "Heimat" and all that talk about blood is disgusting.

They grow up in Germany, they live on German soil, they breathe German air, they dream in German, Germany is the reason they are stars today.

Comment

traitor
                ________
                How To Roll A Blunt
                Last edited by despero; 09-10-2011, 08:56 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mondstern View Post
                  Lol at all those people talking about "stealing".
                  Germany is an immigration country, get used to it.
                  One third of all kids born in Germany last year had at least one non-German parent.
                  This is the reality and it's about time the national team reflects this reality.
                  Germany is their "Heimat" and all that talk about blood is disgusting.
                  They grow up in Germany, they live on German soil, they breathe German air, they dream in German, Germany is the reason they are stars today.
                  this guy is right, but of course people here won't get that and will just say "omg i hate dejagah why won't he play for iran blah blah cry me a river"

Comment

they had to take his site down today because the posts on his guestbook got so ugly

Comment

Working...
                    X