Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf and Rugby will be olympic sports in 2016

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...es/8196956.stm

Golf is set to return to the Olympics after a 112-year absence in 2016, and rugby sevens will also be recommended to be part of that year's Olympics.

The International Olympic Committee's executive board voted to include both at its Berlin executive board meeting.

The recommendation must be rubber-stamped by a full meeting of the IOC congress in Copenhagen in October.

Softball, squash, baseball, karate and roller sports were all shortlisted but look to have missed out.

Golf was played at the Paris Games in 1900 and four years later in St Louis, but has never returned to the Olympic agenda.

One of the main issues has been whether top players will compete in the Olympics when they already have a full schedule, but superstar Tiger Woods indicated on Tuesday he would play.

Rugby union, which was last played at the 1924 Olympics in the full 15-a-side format, will return in the faster, short-format seven-a-side version for both men and women. It is already part of the Commonwealth Games.

TBH i think Rugby should be included as the compettition will be quite competative, however golf is just plain boring (IMO)and i would like to have seen ***ate to be included, mainly so that Iran can win medals as we have many good ***ate athletes, i don't think there is a future for softball or baseball seeing as no good players take the event seriously.
    Please watch and Subscribe:

if golf is being included then i dont see how video games wont be?

Comment

they were gonna add futsal
      any news on that?

Comment

Originally posted by radin119 View Post
        they were gonna add futsal
        any news on that?
        nope, news reports on new olympic sports have stated only golf,7 aside rugby, baseball,***ate and softball to be the only sports that could be added, they are also tring to get skating and roller blading in aswell apparently. Out of these iran will only really benifit from ***ate but hopefully our country has a few tony hawx's to compete if skatboarding gets added

Comment

also the international assosation of squash wanted squash to be included but that didnt happen

Comment

golf and rugby seem ok definitely.

they are big and have a long tradition, unlike sports like squash

futsal should be next

Comment

Originally posted by maniei View Post

futsal should be next
              even though i really want it to be, i dobut it will happen tbh, i think they would add squash or ***ate next.

Comment

How About Poker ? l0ool I swear They are starting to put everything In Olympic then why not poker !
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X