Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife leaves husband after altercation over match

Wife leaves husband after altercation over match

Egyptian wife has left her Algerian husband of three years after altercation over the World Cup qualifier match between their native countries

Manama: An Egyptian wife has left her Algerian husband of three years and went into hiding after an altercation over a crucial football match between their native countries to be played next Saturday.

The Algerian man told the Egyptian embassy in Algiers that he had had a heated argument last Saturday with his wife about the 2010 World Cup decider between Algeria and Egypt, in which each spouse claimed that their native country would win and qualify for the finals in South Africa.

However, according to the husband, the wife became upset and afterwards left the family home, taking their only son with her and not informing anyone about her whereabouts.

The husband filed a police report about the missing wife and contacted the Egyptian embassy in Algiers seeking assistance.

Embassy officials promised to help and told him that the wife would not be able to leave Algeria with the son who could not be added onto her passport.

Algerian security authorities have also pledged support in the search for the missing wife.

Algerians and Egyptians have been engaged in a vitriolic standoff, ominously fuelled by partisan print and broadcast media and websites that have degraded the do-or-die clash between the Desert Foxes (Algeria) and the Pharaohs (Egypt) for a place among the Titans of football into the pettiest forms of chauvinism. Observers have been wondering whether the deep animosity in fact went beyond a football match into political issues.

Newspapers in both countries have been replete with articles aiming to boost local morale and to instil terror in the hearts of the "enemy".

An army of bloggers have exchanged jingoistic remarks and traded acid insults more than one month before the ball is timed to be kicked in Cairo under high security.

On the television front, remarks by Egyptian journalist Amr Adeeb about the ungratefulness of the Algerians were harshly rebuked by the Algerian print media and websites. Algeria, unlike Egypt, does not have private television stations.

"Why do Algerians hate us and despise so much? We had helped the Algerians so much during their war for independence and we sent teachers to them. Yet, they hate us so much without any reason. I would love to see an end to their arrogance and haughtiness," he said on his television talk.

However, Algiers-based Elcherouk daily accused Adeeb of transgressing respect lines and urged the Egyptian authorities to silence him. The paper's editorial sparked a wave of bitter and scornful remarks by Algerian fans targeting the character of Egyptian broadcaster and questioning the merits and purposes of the assistance offered by his country around four decades ago.

Efforts by peace activists from both countries have failed to appease the tension amid concerns voiced by the international football federation, FIFA, about physical clashes and s***mishes on match day. At least 2,000 Algerians are expected to attend the match in the 80,000-seat capacity stadium.

In Paris, the French foreign ministry warned its citizens in Algeria to stay home on November 14 to avoid possible "movement of masses" related to the football match. The French authorities fear that mass celebrations, in case of qualification, or demonstrations, in case of failure to qualify, could degenerate into violence.

Comment

I don't understand why Algerians and Egyptians hate each other so much.

Comment

i hope egypt beats them!!!!

Comment

Go Morocco!
          I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Nokhodi View Post
            I don't understand why Algerians and Egyptians hate each other so much.
            Nobody has quite been able to get to the bottom of it really. Algerians usually say "it's just when it comes to football" and that they're fierce rivals with all of their neighbors. Egyptians say the Algerians take it beyond football, with players and fans often becoming violent.

The violence that ensued following the 1989 World Cup qualifier is well- documented, but little is said of how ugly and dirty the 1984 Olympic qualifier between these teams was. Similar to 1989, the Algerians needed a draw, while Egypt needed to win to qualify for Los Angeles and got the result 1-0.

One wonders how the hell the referee allowed this stuff to go on, especially the drop-kick. Egypt in red, Algeria in white:

Comment

Hehe at 5:04 the Egyptian guy acts injured way too late.
              I went to Sharif University. I'm a superior genetic mutation, an improvement on the existing mediocre stock.

Comment

poor guy

Comment

Originally posted by KC McElroy View Post
                  Go Morocco!

Comment

how the hell does this kind of stuff make the news?

Comment

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wor...s-video-of-bus

Comment

What a mess and an embarrassment. There are so many varying accounts of what happened. The bus driver says the Algerians broke the windows themselves. That sounds pretty damn suspicious. I just hope FIFA remembers what happened to the Egyptian team in the 2002 World Cup qualifier in Algeria without repercussion when it deliberates what to do about this.

Comment

Algerians hack Egyptian FA website

Comment

I don't know about this...

No Algerian players were injured - EFA
                            Thu, 12 Nov 2009 - 23:51
                            By: Hatem Maher

The Egyptian FA firmly denied that several Algerian players were injured upon the team's arrival in Cairo on Thursday to face Egypt in the World Cup qualifiers.

Algeria sports minister Hachemi Djiar said earlier in the day that some Egyptian fans, who gathered at Cairo airport, threw stones at the team's bus to injure members of the visiting delegation.

Rafik Saifi, Rafik Halliche and Khaled Lemmouchia were reported to have sustained facial injuries.

"All Algeria players are safe. They were not hurt," EFA board member Mahmoud Taher told FilGoal.com.

"Algeria are trying to blow things out of proportion. The bus is damaged from inside, so it is obvious that they were the ones who did that to escalate the matter.

"(World governing body) FIFA have not contacted Egypt as recently reported, and there aren't any intentions to call off the game."

Khairi Morsi, the Egyptian driver who drove Algeria's bus, said the visiting team assaulted him.

"They also shattered the windows from inside when they saw some Egyptian people around the bus," he told Modern Sport.

The build up to the anticipated encounter has been marred by repeated verbal spats between both sides.

Egypt need to beat Algeria by a three-goal margin at Cairo Stadium on Saturday to qualify directly for next year's World Cup finals in South Africa.

A win by a two-goal margin will set up a playoff meeting with the Desert Foxes in Sudan on Wednesday.

Comment

I really wanna see this match live! This is getting very interesting and even more hyped up as it already was.
                              Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

Working...
                              X