X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rice's Arsalan Kazemi becomes first Iranian Div. I hoops player

Nice article from CNN. Fairly long but worth a read. Good luck to him

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../12/09/kazemi/

Kazemi quietly made his mark in the history between the U.S. and Iran, when Rice coach Ben Braun put the 6-foot-7 freshman into the Owls' home opener against Sacramento State with 15:52 left in the first half and Rice leading 13-0. The scoreboard made no acknowledgement of the event, and the crowd of 1,631 was mostly silent. But looking on with cautious optimism were a handful of Kazemi's countrymen: one of his former junior national team coaches, who has an auto-parts business in Houston; an electrical engineering professor at Rice; and two brothers who own an upscale men's clothing store in Houston. (One of the brothers walked up to Kazemi in the pregame layup line to tell him, "We are very excited to be here for you.")

Arsalan is a Turkish name that means lion, and Kazemi can sometimes appear sleepy on the floor, his expression blank and his head lolling -- then roar to life with a surprising aerial burst that nets him a rebound or dunk, or make a quick step into a passing lane for a steal. At July's FIBA Under-19 Championships in New Zealand (where the U.S. won gold and Iran went 1-4), Kazemi ranked first in steals (4.0 per game), second in rebounding (12.2) and eighth in points (16.6). At Rice, he's been playing 20.7 minutes per game off the bench, leading the 4-4 Owls in rebounding with a 7.1 game; he's also their fifth-leading scorer, with 8.0 points per game.

im interested to know how he's done so far...i think they've already played a few games since last month

Comment

looool he was topped in the airport cuz of gaz in his luggage

Comment

is he azeri or part turk at all? interesting about his first name.

Comment

Originally posted by IranSoccer#8 View Post
          is he azeri or part turk at all? interesting about his first name.
          Arsalan is a widely used name not limited to Azeris.

Comment

Originally posted by Masoud_A View Post
            Arsalan is a widely used name not limited to Azeris.
            true, but its a turkish name. i dont know many iranians with turkish names.

Comment

I know a Pakistani named Arsalan lol.
              Previously known as "IraqiFootball"

Comment

Originally posted by IranSoccer#8 View Post
                true, but its a turkish name. i dont know many iranians with turkish names.
                and I donno many Iranians with Iranian names! you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by EKBATAN View Post
                  im interested to know how he's done so far...i think they've already played a few games since last month
                  He's doing alright so far and has had two double doubles coming off the bench. You can find all his and his team's stats here:

http://riceowls.cstv.com/sports/m-ba.../teamstat.html

Comment

lol @ their "geographic roster"

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...114.169922&z=4

Comment

i like for an iranian to do well, i really do, but come on Rice in D1? theres like 364 teams in D1. there really should be only like 150 max. hope he does well and gets an education like that All-American UVA iranian player from the 50s

PFDC 10 Years & Counting
                      We thank and support Mr.Kamran Delan for many years of dedication and service to Iranian Football Community.
                      For some nice Lounge & Chillout head to -->http://www.youtube.com/user/mkbf86

Comment

Working...
                      X