John Terry axed, Rio Ferdinand is the new captain of England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Terry axed, Rio Ferdinand is the new captain of England

John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy after a showdown meeting with Fabio Capello.

The Italian met Terry at Wembley on Friday and told the defender his role as captain of the Three Lions was over, following relevations of an alleged affair with an ex-girlfriend of former-Chelsea team-mate Wayne Bridge.

"After much thought, I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry," Capello said via a statement on the FA's website.

"As a captain with the team, John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour. However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.

"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice.

"John Terry was notified first."

Capello hinted that vice-captain Rio Ferdinand will step into the role, following a brief 12-minute

lol, i was wrong with rooney then, lol.

Comment

cappello i salute you world class manager right thing to do

Comment

gerrard?
        Backing Daei since 1992, to this day.
        GazKhor

Comment

lampard and gerrard are better captains!

Comment

it is because he was oringally chosen as vice captain, so he now has the armband.

Comment

official on sky:

Captain: Rio Ferdinand
              Vice- Captain: Stevie G

Comment

rio? captain? really? is it just me, or should releasing a sex-tape exclude you from being considered 'captain material'?
                Backing Daei since 1992, to this day.
                GazKhor

Comment

rio wtf?
                  lamps or stevie gerrard. cmon

Comment

throughout history, it's always been good for a defender to be captain (remember, defenders don't get as much glory as they are supposed to, therefore are not as c0cky and such) i don't support RIO, but it makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by KevinisGQ View Post
                      throughout history, it's always been good for a defender to be captain (remember, defenders don't get as much glory as they are supposed to, therefore are not as c0cky and such) i don't support RIO, but it makes sense to me
                      It's not because of that.

Defenders(central defenders) are best captains because they can see all over the pitch. I suppose an argument is that a keeper can see all the pitch, however the central defender can really organise his back four firstly, and how deep they should be.
                      Secondly, while organising the back four, he can also inform the midfield of how deep or how forward they should be.. Rio has these qualities. He's vocal, expereinced, and is a good leader in the pitch.

Gerrard is also a good vice-captain, but come on, Lampard?? He's not even captain of Chelsea, and is not even a leader. Why should he even be considered with captaincy? Besides, let the attackers be free and not get too much expectations and pressure on them. It was a great choice by Capello not to choose Lampard or Rooney..
                      I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Originally posted by HuSsAiN View Post
                        It's not because of that.
                        Defenders(central defenders) are best captains because they can see all over the pitch. I suppose an argument is that a keeper can see all the pitch, however the central defender can really organise his back four firstly, and how deep they should be.
                        Secondly, while organising the back four, he can also inform the midfield of how deep or how forward they should be.. Rio has these qualities. He's vocal, expereinced, and is a good leader in the pitch.
                        Gerrard is also a good vice-captain, but come on, Lampard?? He's not even captain of Chelsea, and is not even a leader. Why should he even be considered with captaincy? Besides, let the attackers be free and not get too much expectations and pressure on them. It was a great choice by Capello not to choose Lampard or Rooney..

yes true, well I wasn't saying that was the only reason, but generally a coach wants his defender to be a captain

Comment

Originally posted by KevinisGQ View Post
                          yes true, well I wasn't saying that was the only reason, but generally a coach wants his defender to be a captain
                          yeah i agree with you.
                          I've learnt it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts

Comment

Working...
                          X