Did Don King destroyed Boxing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Don King destroyed Boxing???

I lately read about boxing and many are saying Don King had very negative influence in boxing and he destroyed boxing, i think if it was not him somebody else would have done it.

i never understood how boxing worked; i mean theres no system like any other sport where u watch other boxers come up and folow their progress, etc.....its just always some random guy comin out fighting someone making a name and they start rivalries, etc.... its all hype and it got boring i think. Thats why people prefer mma and k-1 cuz its more of a fight

Comment

I just hope someone destroys those lameazz klitschko brothers,
      they are the lamest champions of all time, they fight slow,boring, you can see the fright in their eyes...... I mean what has happened to the likes of Ali,Tyson, Frazier, Holyfield, Lewis...those two Ukrainians are the reason why boxing has become so lame

Comment

^^^ Lewis got lucky against Klitschko. Klitschko should have had won that match.

Yeah, he's not as exciting as someone like Tyson, but he's a damn good fighter.
        Last edited by Amin_; 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM.
        Persian Pride running through my veins!

Esteghlal for life!!

Comment

There's accusations of him buying judges, and also that he is involved with criminal organisations. Yeah, he built up enough influence in the boxing world to then promote who HE wants, and bring success to whoever benefited HIM the most (rather than who benefits the BOXING WORLD the most)....

BUT

You gotta remember...Don King brought us some of the best fights of all time...(inc. thrilla in manilla and rumble in the jungle)

Obviously though, like i said, he should have used his influence better.
          Backing Daei since 1992, to this day.
          GazKhor

Comment

Mayweather v Pacquiou...needs to happen.

Comment

^ asap. I need to see Mayweather have the shit knocked out of him so bad he retires

Comment

Originally posted by Abbas85 View Post
                ^ asap. I need to see Mayweather have the shit knocked out of him so bad he retires
                Naaaat gonna happen. He's too well trained. Dull fighter. But he's well trained. Also, unfortunately, the referee would intervene Plus his father would throw his towel in first
                Backing Daei since 1992, to this day.
                GazKhor

Comment

Originally posted by Abbas85 View Post
                  He is already retired!

Comment

look at daei is king dropping the boxing knowledge lol, go girl

here is an interesting read from yahoo answers

Don King is the Best and Worst thing to ever happen to boxing. He's a necessary and unnecessary evil.

I can see why Bob Arum hates Don King so much. Here you have two men who come from VASTLY different backgrounds and now both are the biggest in their field. Lawmen and Crooks usually hate each other, especially when they have so much in common.

Arum: Harvard educated lawyer who once worked for the US Dept. of Justice

King: Former numbers runner, con-man who did jail time for stomping a man to death (some say he actually has TWO murders under his belt).

Now both become the biggest names in the prefession they happen to share. I'm sure Arum holds some resentment that an uneducated man can hold the same status that he holds. Don King is self taught while Bob Arum has an extensive education. Yet, it doesn't matter what either ever did before boxing. Both will always be remembered for their work in this sport.

The Good of Don King is that he used his "Gift" to pave the way for black boxers. He also helped save boxing as a sport after ALI retired. He used his "Gift" to con his way into ALI's circle of friends and promote the ALI-Forman fight. He had NOTHING to work with but played both sides of the fense until he got both to sign contracts.

King used his association with ALI, and ALI's desire to give a black man in a white dominated business, a chance, to parlay his work into a career. In some ways he did a lot to save boxing after ALI.

The Bad of Don King is that he also made it easier for slime like Jose Suliman (WBC) and Gilberto Mendoza (WBA) to weasel their way into boxing and milk the sport for personal gain. The two organizations were around before King but they were forced to work together in order to survive, thus allowing boxing to have ONE champion per division. They couldn't survive without each other. The worst you ever got with the two organizations is that they didn't always agree with the rankings of fighters. That's fine as long as you have ONE champion and he fights SOMEONE in the top 3.

Today, thanks to King, Jose and the many who have pimped the WBA, there IS no such thing as a Number One contender. Don and Jose have created SO MANY titles that there are more champions than contenders today. It's been a big game for them. Don King doesn't CARE about the definition of the word "Champion" or about what the fans want.

Today, men in their 30s couldn't even tell you who the heavyweight champion of the world is. During ALI's time, women in their EIGHTIES could tell you who was champion.

Don did some good but I really would like to see him bow out of boxing. Because of him and those he has long held under his thumb, there are SO many bogus organizations pimping the sport of boxing. IT's become a running joke. I can't even talk boxing with my football buddies anymore.

The problem is that Don will be around for a while. He's not as healthy as he used to be but guys like him NEED things like boxing. He needs boxing now more than it needs him. It's like the old guy who works hard all his life, never gets sick but dies soon after retiring. Some guys should Never retire. Their work is their life. Without boxing, Don King might not live much longer. It's what he IS, not what he DOES.

I admire Don King for his business savy and survival skills.
                    I despise what he has done to the sport of boxing.

shamim i dont know how deep you are into boxing but the most interesting/entertaining period is when the middleweights were dominating in the 80s with leonard/hearns/hagler/duran

Comment

Like him or not, Don King is a great businessman. he went from being a ex con to the biggest boxing manager.

Comment

Working...
                      X